EPL

Everton sack struggling Lampard as another relegation scrap beckons

By Sports Desk January 23, 2023

Frank Lampard has been sacked by Everton under a year after taking charge of the Premier League strugglers.

Lampard was appointed as Rafael Benitez's successor on January 31, 2022, but less than 12 months later Everton are now on the search for yet another manager.

The former Chelsea boss managed to keep Everton in the top flight last season, with a dramatic 3-2 comeback over Crystal Palace in their penultimate match proving enough.

Yet Everton's struggles have carried over into this campaign and, with 20 games played, they sit 19th on 15 points following a 2-0 defeat to fellow strugglers West Ham on Saturday. They have lost eight of their last nine matches in all competitions.

Lampard's dismissal was confirmed on Monday. Everton's next manager will be their seventh permanent appointment since Farhad Moshiri, who was in attendance at London Stadium, invested into the club in 2016.

After Saturday's game, Moshiri told Sky Sports a decision on Lampard's future did not rest in his hands, a statement that will only have fuelled more anger in a fanbase already protesting about the way in which the club has been run.

Lampard's record is poor. He has won only nine of his 38 Premier League matches, meaning his win percentage (23.7) is better than only that of Mike Walker (19.4) when it comes to Everton managers to have overseen at least 10 games in the competition.

However, Everton have also been hamstrung by financial difficulties caused by previous misspending.

Last season's top scorer Richarlison was sold to Tottenham in June of last year to appease Premier League profit and loss regulations, and the void left in the side has been clear, especially with Dominic Calvert-Lewin's injury issues.

Lampard's team have also struggled in defence, leaking 59 goals across his league matches in charge over the past 12 months.

This season, only Fulham (36.1) have a higher expected goals against (xGA) figure than Everton (34.2) in the top flight, suggesting they have been fortunate not to concede more tha than the 28 goals they have shipped.

Everton have not made a signing in January, but are reportedly close to confirming the loan acquisition of Villarreal forward Arnaut Danjuma.

Related items

  • Leicester City sign Tete on short-term deal Leicester City sign Tete on short-term deal

    Leicester City have completed a short-term deal for Brazilian winger Tete.

    The 22-year-old left Shakhtar Donetsk following the Russian invasion of Ukraine last year, joining Lyon in March after players in the country were given permission by FIFA to suspend their contracts.

    After eight goals and nine assists in 30 appearances for the French side, Tete has made the move to the Premier League, although his new club confirmed he is due to return to Shakhtar at the end of the season.

    Upon signing for the Foxes, Tete told the club's media: "I'm really happy to be here. I've had a look at the pitch and the stadium, it's beautiful and I can already imagine what it'll be like with a lot of fans. I hope to score a lot of goals and assists. I hope they'll all be happy to see me play, I'm happy to be a Fox."

    Tete began his career at Gremio and has represented Brazil at under-20 and under-23 level.

    He could make his debut for Brendan Rodgers' side in their trip to Aston Villa on February 4.

  • Australian Open: Dominant Djokovic lands 22nd grand slam title to draw back level with Nadal Australian Open: Dominant Djokovic lands 22nd grand slam title to draw back level with Nadal

    Novak Djokovic defeated Stefanos Tsitsipas in straight sets in Sunday's final to land a record-extending 10th Australian Open title and draw level with Rafael Nadal on 22 grand slams.

    The 35-year-old resisted a fightback from Tsitsipas by saving a set point in the second set on his way to a 6-3 7-6 (7-4) 7-6 (7-5) victory at Rod Laver Arena as he made it 10 wins from 10 Melbourne finals.

    Djokovic, who was blocked from defending his crown last year after being deported from the country over his COVID-19 vaccination status, dropped just one set across his seven matches and has now won 28 matches in a row in his favourite tournament.

    The Serbian consequently reclaims the world number one spot, as well as equalling Nadal for the most singles slams won by a male player.

     

    Tsitsipas was aiming to become the 27th male singles champion in the opening major of the year, but he was under relentless pressure right from the off and a double fault in the fourth game handed his opponent the first break of serve.

    Djokovic, backed by a crowd that occasionally became too vociferous amid warnings from the umpire, served out the opening set with relative ease and continued to trouble Tsitsipas with some strong serving in the second set.

    World number four Tsitsipas slowly grew in confidence and, after a string of unforced errors from Djokovic – who exchanged some strong words with coach Goran Ivanisevic – he forced set point.

    But an excellent forehand winner from Djokovic prevented Tsitsipas from levelling up the match, and the Serbian went on to edge the tie-break in what was a big moment in the contest.

    He had the occasional blip, with Tsitsipas earning his first break of serve in the opening game of the third set, but Djokovic responded instantly with another backhand winner to level up.

    There was little to separate the two in the next 10 games as another set went the distance, and once again it was Djokovic who held his nerve in an entertaining tie-break to wrap up the victory in a time of two hours and 56 minutes.

  • Chelsea continue spending spree with Gusto signing Chelsea continue spending spree with Gusto signing

    Chelsea have continued their January spending spree with the signing of right-back Malo Gusto from Lyon.

    The France Under-21 international has signed a seven-and-a-half-year deal at Stamford Bridge, but he will spend the remainder of the 2022-23 season on loan at Lyon.

    Gusto, who has made 54 appearances for Lyon since making his debut in January 2021, is reported to have cost Chelsea an initial £26.3million (€29.9m) plus various add-ons.

    He becomes Chelsea's seventh signing of the window following the arrivals of Mykhaylo Mudryk, Benoit Badiashile, Noni Madueke, Andrey Santos, David Datro Fofana and Joao Felix, the latter joining on loan from Atletico Madrid.

    The 19-year-old attacking full-back will provide long-term competition and cover for Reece James, who has missed the majority of this season through injury. 

    Chelsea are also rumoured to still be in the market for a central midfielder, having so far been frustrated in their attempt to sign Argentina World Cup star Enzo Fernandez from Benfica.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.