Lingard used alcohol 'to try and take the pain away' during Man Utd struggles

By Sports Desk January 19, 2023

Jesse Lingard has revealed he at times used alcohol as something of a coping mechanism while he was at Manchester United. 

Lingard ended his 22-year stint at United, where he came through the youth ranks, with a move to Nottingham Forest ahead of the 2022-23 season.

The 30-year-old left Old Trafford on a free transfer, having failed to find regular minutes last season despite thriving while on loan at West Ham in the previous campaign.

Lingard has explained turned to alcohol during the difficulties of his final seasons at United, as he sought to mitigate his frustrations.

"I was drinking before bed, having a nightcap," he said on The Diary Of A CEO podcast. "I look back now and think 'what was I doing that for?'

"But I needed something to try and take the pain away and put me at ease somehow. I was trying to forget what was going on. But it makes it 10 times worse.

"You're getting that much abuse, and I'm already down enough, and I've got to perform. I'm already going through things you don't know about. I felt like the world was on my shoulders."

Lingard made 232 senior appearances for United and helped them win the EFL Cup and Europa League.

He scored in their 2017 EFL Cup final victory over Southampton and will go up against his former club when Forest meet them in the semi-finals of that competition on January 25.

United seem to be on an upward trajectory under Erik ten Hag, though Lingard believes they are still "miles" behind rival clubs.

He said: "[There was] no balance, no structure, people doing what they want. It was like a free for all.

"They are so behind with everything. You see [Manchester] City's facilities, Tottenham's facilities. People are miles ahead.

"I just want them to get up to date on the new things that are happening. You've got to stay relevant [and] catch up a bit."

Related items

  • Steve Morison vows Sutton will fight to the end to stay in Football League Steve Morison vows Sutton will fight to the end to stay in Football League

    Sutton boss Steve Morison has vowed his players will “keep fighting” to secure their Football League status following a 2-2 draw at Harrogate.

    An 87th-minute equaliser from substitute Deon Moore – his first-ever EFL goal at the age of 24 – made it 13 points from a possible 18 for Morison’s men.

    But victories for relegation rivals Colchester and Grimsby – who play each other on Tuesday night – left the second-bottom U’s one point adrift of safety.

    Third-bottom Colchester also have two games in hand with Morison admitting: “It’s out of our hands completely and we’ve got to hope for a favourable result from the Colchester v Grimsby game, but we’ll keep fighting for as long as we’ve got a chance.

    “Our aim is to win our last two games. That still might not be enough but we’ve got to see where it could take us.

    “We’ve won four, drawn one and lost one of our last six games and the players deserve to at least take it to the final day, because they have shown they are a good group who are fighting for the badge, the club and the fans.”

    Following Moore’s leveller, Harry Smith had a great opportunity to win the game in stoppage time but blazed over and, reflecting on that miss, Morison added: “When we got the second goal, we were pushing forward because we had to go for it and we had that big moment, but unfortunately couldn’t take it.”

    Harry Beautyman had given the visitors the lead during first-half stoppage time, only for long-serving Harrogate pair George Thomson and Jack Muldoon to hit back for the hosts.

    Former Peterborough attacker Moore’s late leveller – from Beautyman’s pass – then denied the hosts an opportunity to move within a point of the play-off positions, but manager Simon Weaver said: “We’re proud as punch that we’re going to finish in our highest league position with our highest number of EFL points and to still have something to play for with two games left.

    “The wind had a real effect on the game and we had to deal with that in the first half against a determined Sutton side who were going all out for the win.

    “We had to stand up to their physicality and entries into the box, so it was a bit disappointing to concede right at the end of the half but we then scored two fantastic goals from two club legends once more and Mullers had an opportunity to score another.

    “We played some very good football in difficult conditions, but you also have to give credit to the opposition and it was a great through-ball for their equaliser.

    “It was a real moment of magic that earned them a point after they hadn’t been a threat at all in the second half.”

  • Matt Taylor delighted to see Bristol Rovers click into gear at Cheltenham Matt Taylor delighted to see Bristol Rovers click into gear at Cheltenham

    Boss Matt Taylor was delighted to see Bristol Rovers click into gear as they brushed Cheltenham aside with a comfortable 3-1 win to end their seven-game wait for a goal.

    Scott Sinclair opened the scoring in the first half and Brandon Aguilera and Elkan Baggott added two more after the break before Liam Sercombe’s stoppage-time consolation for the relegation-threatened hosts.

    Rovers skipper Antony Evans also saw a first-half penalty saved, with Rovers in total control.

    “Everyone will talk about the goals, but I thought we looked solid as a team,” Taylor said.

    “We looked like a proper team and we should’ve been more than one ahead at half-time and that’s no disrespect to Cheltenham.

    “We know we look good as a team on paper, but we’ve never had everyone available, all of the time.

    “We controlled things and started the game well, but needed something to show for it and Scotty was cool and calm for the opener.  His legs were a constant threat to their back line.”

    Former Chelsea and Man City star Sinclair opened the scoring in the 12th minute, finishing neatly past Luke Southwood and inside the bottom left corner after being played in by Luke Thomas.

    Evans was brought down in the box by Southwood 10 minutes before half-time, but the goalkeeper redeemed himself by diving to his left to keep out the spot-kick.

    Cheltenham, managed by ex-Rovers boss Darrell Clarke, made two changes at half-time, but they were not able to find a way back into the game and it was 2-0 in the 56th minute.

    Thomas found substitute Aguilera and he rolled a shot into the bottom right corner.

    Former Cheltenham loanee Baggott headed the third from Harvey Vale’s corner in the 76th minute.

    Sercombe was set up by fellow ex-Rovers player Matty Taylor in the 94th minute, but it was too little, too late for Cheltenham.

    Clarke admitted his team are majorly struggling for confidence, with four games left to save their season, starting at one of the teams they can catch – Burton – on Tuesday night.

    “I am searching for answers with the group and we have some walking wounded and players putting their bodies on the line,” he said.

    “I get the frustration and disappointment from my supporters, who have been great. We just have to keep going.

    “We have to make sure we don’t feel sorry for ourselves because unbelievably it’s still in our hands, with four games to go.

    “We have to keep going and make sure we are ready to go Tuesday.

    “While we still have a chance, we’ll go there and try to win the game.”

  • Johnnie Jackson does not think AFC Wimbledon got what they deserved at Swindon Johnnie Jackson does not think AFC Wimbledon got what they deserved at Swindon

    Johnnie Jackson said that he could not fault his AFC Wimbledon’s side’s effort but they did not produce in the moments that matter in their 3-2 defeat at Swindon.

    The visitors led early through Joe Lewis but Aaron Drinan and on-loan MK Dons man Dawson Devoy (2) turned the Sky Bet League Two contest on its head.

    Lewis got a second goal with two minutes remaining but the hosts hung on despite the late dismissal of Udoka Godwin-Malife following two yellow cards.

    The results leaves Jackson’s play-off hopefuls three points outside the top seven with only two matches remaining.

    He said: “We scored early and were in the ascendancy and (in the) second half give away a really poor goal. It was a mistake by the goalkeeper (Alex Bass), so it gives them a way back into the game.

    “And then at 1-1, it was only going to be us. We were in the ascendancy, we had moments where we just needed to find the right pass and bit of quality and we lacked it.

    “They get another one, so we were chasing the game. We knew we probably had to win today. They go ahead and we had to throw everything at it.

    “They get another one on the break but it was all us and it was a mad game really.

    “We get one back and if we played for another five minutes, we were going to get at least another one.

    “The lads have given everything but in the moments that matter have not produced the quality we needed.”

    Meanwhile, Swindon boss Gavin Gunning was full of praise for half-time substitute Devoy, who played a big role in turning the game around.

    “We brought Dawson on at half-time and he changed the game,” said Gunning.

    “If you can get beyond and add numbers – because that is what teams are looking for – to your game then he will be one of the elite players at this level.

    “I think he was poor for the first six minutes and then I called him over and told him what he needed to improve on.

    “Then he was getting beyond, creates chances, and the composure for the second goal is brilliant.”

© 2023 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.