Jamaica's Stephanie Dale Yee-Sing selected as official for 2023 FIFA Women's World Cup

By Sports Desk January 10, 2023

Jamaica’s Stephanie Dale Yee-Sing has been selected as an official for the 2023 FIFA Women’s World Cup in Australia and New Zealand this summer.

“The Jamaica Football Federation is extremely proud as we congratulate Assistant Referee Stefanie Dale Yee-Sing who has been selected by the FIFA Referees Committee to officiate at the FIFA 2023 WWC in Australia and New Zealand in the summer,” said the JFF in a statement on Monday.

Stefanie, who has been active in most domestic, regional, continental and global tournaments, is the only Jamaican selected among the fifty-five assistants referees worldwide. Thirty-three referees and support referees were also selected as well as nineteen ladies who will work as Video Match Officials for the first time.

“They have been chosen in close cooperation with the six confederations, based on the officials’ quality and the performances delivered at FIFA tournaments as well as at other international and domestic competitions in recent years,” according to the FIFA media release. 

“I am overjoyed,” said Yee-Sing. “We work hard every day with the hope of representing our country at these major tournaments. Rubbing shoulders with the best and running with elite players has always been my dream since I began.” 

President of the JFF, Michael Ricketts, says Yee-Sing’s journey is inspiring. “Stefanie should serve as inspiration to all the officials in Jamaica,” Ricketts said. “She, along with some of the other female officials have been training and operating at world class levels for a while. It’s great to see Stefanie getting the rewards she so richly deserves. We hope that she will serve as a catalyst and inspiration to other ladies and gentlemen officials to work hard as the sky is the limit.” 

Seminars for the officials will be held in Montevideo and Doha.

Related items

  • I don’t care about his past – La Liga boss hoping Mason Greenwood stays in Spain I don’t care about his past – La Liga boss hoping Mason Greenwood stays in Spain

    The president of La Liga says he “doesn’t care” about Mason Greenwood’s past and wants the Manchester United forward to stay in Spain beyond this season.

    The 22-year-old faced charges including attempted rape and assault but the Crown Prosecution Service announced in February last year that the case had been discontinued.

    He moved to Getafe on loan last summer, and La Liga chief Javier Tebas has been impressed with him to such a degree he hopes he stays for the longer term.

    “He’s doing really well at Getafe as a player and I hope he continues to be successful and he continues to stay in Spanish football because that’s always good for us,” Tebas told a media briefing at the Financial Times Business of Football Summit on Thursday.

    “He is just another player. He had a past, but not a past we can do anything about. He was innocent and wasn’t condemned. We can’t be judges for everything. If we did that, we’d have no teams.

    “I’m a lawyer, so it’s important to say he is not condemned. He was acquitted here (in the UK). Should we have reopened the case in Spain? Do I know the case in great detail? No.

    “Greenwood was not condemned, so I don’t care.”

    Manchester United’s co-owner Sir Jim Ratcliffe said last week that a fresh decision would be made on Greenwood this summer now that Ineos has been delegated control of football operations at Old Trafford.

    Reports last year that United were planning to retain him following an internal investigation were met by public outcry and Ratcliffe acknowledges that a decision will have to be made when Greenwood returns about what happens next – but insists nothing has been finalised yet.

    “It’s quite clear we have to make a decision. There is no decision that’s been made,” Ratcliffe said at a media briefing to mark the completion of his purchase of a minority stake in United.

    Asked asked if the Greenwood situation would be a “fresh decision”, Ratcliffe said: “Yeah we will. Absolutely. We will make a decision, and we will justify it one way or the other.”

    Ratcliffe added: “He’s on loan obviously, but he’s not the only one – we’ve got one or two footballers that we have to deal with and we have to make a decision on, so we will do that.”

  • Thomas Tuchel and Bayern Munich take ‘energy’ from Leipzig win Thomas Tuchel and Bayern Munich take ‘energy’ from Leipzig win

    Bayern Munich boss Thomas Tuchel wants to build on his side’s last-gasp win over Leipzig when they travel to Freiburg on Friday.

    Harry Kane’s stoppage-time winner last Sunday ended Bayern’s run of three straight defeats in all competitions.

    “It’s been a good week,” Tuchel told a press conference. “A win always helps everyone, particularly a last-minute win. It’s given us confidence and a positive general feeling.

    “We’ve had a good week, the messaging hasn’t changed much. We’re carrying on. Tomorrow it’s about being ready. The focus is more than ever on the here and now.”

    Bayern remain eight points adrift of Bundesliga leaders Bayer Leverkusen so their season probably hinges on overturning a 1-0 deficit against Lazio in the second leg of their Champions League meeting on Tuesday.

    But Tuchel insisted: “The match takes place before Lazio. It’s a completely different match.

    “The best preparation for one match is a successful performance. We have to take it up a notch. We managed a little uptick against Leipzig, which has given us energy.

    “I’m confident we’ll win tomorrow, but it’ll only happen with full focus. It’s always difficult in Freiburg.

    “They’re very flexible, very variable and do a lot of running. They carry the ball well down the right with (Ritsu) Doan. (Vincenzo) Grifo on the left tries to be a threat with crosses from deep.

    “They also use long balls with up to seven attacking players. We need answers and that’s what we’ll prepare the team for. It’s always passionate in Freiburg, too.”

    Tuchel will hand a late fitness test to former Manchester City winger Leroy Sane.

    “Leroy always wants to play,” he said. “He’s someone who can tolerate pain extremely well. He’s felt something in the last few weeks.

    “Maybe he’s been grinning and bearing it a bit too much. I get the impression he’s not completely free. He has a lot of aches and pains and is paying a bit of a price for the overload.

    “We need to find the best solution for tomorrow. He’s doing an individual test now. If he can, we’ll take him into the final training session.

    “We’ll see if he can make the squad tomorrow and perhaps help us from the bench. We have to look from day to day.”

    Matthijs de Ligt is suspended in Freiburg so Minjae Kim will come into the side.

    “Serge Gnabry is back in training but it’s too early to take him,” added Tuchel.

    “Alphonso Davies is also back in training, he’ll be in the squad. Kingsley Coman, Sacha Boey and Noussair Mazraoui aren’t available.”

  • Jamaica's young Reggae Boyz through to U-20 Champs after 3-2 win over Bermuda in qualifiers Jamaica's young Reggae Boyz through to U-20 Champs after 3-2 win over Bermuda in qualifiers

    Jamaica's young Reggae Boyz booked their spot in this summer's Concacaf Men’s Under-20 Championship, after they clipped Bermuda 3-2 in their final Group F qualifying contest in St Kitts and Nevis, on Wednesday.

    Robino Gordon (2nd), Fabian Reynolds (11th) and Ashton Gordon (83rd) got on the score sheet for the Jamaicans, while Bermuda's goals were courtesy of Xahvi Deroza (50th) and Hayden Dill (61st).

    Grenada and Martinique played to 4-4 stalemate in the other Group F fixture at the SKNFA Technical Center in Basseterre.

    Caleb Redhead (9th, 84th), Vijay Valcin (36th) and David Juba (70th) scored for Grenada, while Martinique got a hat-trick from Lenny Lamorandiere (14th, 35th, 80th), with Kerane Leria (4th), getting the other.

    By virtue of topping the group with maximum nine points, the John Wall-coached young Reggae Boyz joined Group D and E winners Canada and Haiti in the Concacaf Championships round where they will meet top six teams –United States, Honduras, Mexico, Panama, Costa Rica and Dominican Republic - in Mexico in July to battle for four spots to the 2025 FIFA Under-20 World Cup.

    Meanwhile, Cuba will continue their pursuit for Group A honours on Thursday, when they oppose Belize, while out-out-of-contention Anguilla and British Virgin Islands (BVI) will also do battle, at the Estadio Nacional in Managua, Nicaragua.

    Cuba, currently second on six points, could overtake leaders Nicaragua (nine points) on goal difference, provided they defeat Belize by a healthy scoreline. Given the 6-1 result from their last meeting in the United States in 2018, Cuba might have very little issues doing so.

     

    Over in Group B, second-placed Suriname (six points) and third-placed El Salvador (four points), will square off in the feature contest at the ABFA Technical Centre in Piggots, Antigua and Barbuda. Victory for either would see them overtake host nation Antigua and Barbuda (six points) at the top, heading into the final round of games.

    Guyana, on a point, and the pointless Turks and Caicos Islands, will lock horns in the group curtain raiser, with both aiming for a confidence-boosting win.

    Finally, in an evenly poised Group C, host nation Guatemala (six points) and Aruba (four points) will do battle at Estadio Doroteo Guamuch Flores in Guatemala City, where victory for either, would see them assume pole position from Curacao (seven points), who will be idled.

    The opening game will see Barbados and St Martin, hunting their first point of the campaign.

© 2023 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.