EPL

Wout Weghorst move to Man Utd could hinge on Besiktas as Turkish giants react with shock

By Sports Desk January 07, 2023

Wout Weghorst could be on his way to Manchester United in a shock January move, but Besiktas will not be easily parted from the Netherlands international.

The 30-year-old appeared to wave goodbye to fans of the Turkish club after scoring the second goal in a 2-1 win over Kasimpasa on Saturday in the Super Lig. Former Everton striker Cenk Tosun got the opening goal.

Reports have claimed United want to bring in Weghorst, who is on loan to Besiktas from Burnley, on a temporary basis until the end of the season.

United manager Erik ten Hag has signalled his need for a striker, with Weghorst a surprising choice.

Besiktas manager Senol Gunes said after the Kasimpasa game: "I have not seen Wout Weghorst's move and I do not know. I cannot speak about what I do not know.

"Wout plays from the heart. He contributes. I do not find it appropriate to talk about someone's future, there is no such thing on our agenda."

He added: "Weghorst is an important player for us. It's not enough to say goodbye to the crowd to say goodbye. He has to talk to the club as well."

Besiktas would be reluctant to see Weghorst go, believing they struck a deal with Burnley that would keep him at the Istanbul club for the duration of the season.

They would be seeking compensation, according to sporting director Ceyhun Kazanci.

He told broadcaster NTV: "I don't understand why Weghorst said goodbye to the fans, why he made such a move. He is our football player now. There is no clause in our contract with Burnley that includes returning or leaving at half-time. Our contract ends at the end of the season."

Kazanci added that Burnley would need to sound out Besiktas about any change to the loan agreement.

"If we accept, the contract will be terminated," he said. "Otherwise, he won't be able to go anywhere until the end of the season."

Weghorst struggled to make an impact in the Premier League with Burnley in a short spell last season, after a previous prolific time at Wolfsburg in the German Bundesliga.

The 6ft 6in target man came to global prominence at the World Cup, scoring twice as a substitute in the quarter-final against Argentina before the Netherlands were ousted on penalties.

Related items

  • Rangers taking nothing for granted against Ross County Rangers taking nothing for granted against Ross County

    Philippe Clement recently learned about Rangers’ impressive record against Ross County but is still anticipating a tough challenge in Dingwall on Sunday.

    In 24 meetings between the two clubs, the Light Blues have won 20 with four games drawn, three of which came in the 2016/17 campaign with the most recent in January 2022, when the Staggies’ Matthew Wright scored a stoppage-time equaliser for a 3-3 draw.

    The two cinch Premiership clashes this season ended with a 2-0 away win for Rangers last August when Michael Beale was still Gers boss before he was replaced by the Belgian in October, and a 3-1 win for the Govan side at Ibrox in February.

    However, Clement will not pay too much attention to the past and said: “I read from their manager that they are super-motivated and want to do something special.

    “It is always the case that we have respect for every opponent.

    “They played a good game at Ibrox also. We know we need to play a good game to get the three points. We are focused on that now.”

    Clement admits preparations have had to change this week after Wednesday night’s game against Dundee at Dens Park was postponed for a second time.

    Referee Don Robertson deemed the waterlogged pitch unplayable following a second inspection of the day at 3.30pm.

    The first cancellation came last month, 90 minutes before the scheduled kick-off, and the game will be played next Wednesday night on Tayside, although it could be moved to a neutral venue if the weather is again a problem.

    Clement said: “We had to change plans. It is a different preparation but no excuse towards the game on Sunday.

    “I am not somebody who wants to have excuses if we need to change plans.

    “We always adapt to the situation but, of course, if I see things that are not normal I will speak about it.

    “I will always adapt to win games with my team, whatever decisions are made we go to win games. That is the mindset. No excuses around that

  • It would help – Erik ten Hag hopes Man Utd sign proven goalscorer in the summer It would help – Erik ten Hag hopes Man Utd sign proven goalscorer in the summer

    Erik ten Hag has said Manchester United signing a proven goalscorer this summer “would help” – while stressing the striking options with which they entered the current season “should have been enough”.

    Having last term finished third in the Premier League and won the Carabao Cup in their first campaign under Ten Hag’s management, United have subsequently underwhelmed.

    With seven games to go in the league, they lie sixth, 11 points behind fourth-placed Tottenham, as well as fifth-placed Aston Villa, and have the lowest goals-for tally in the top 10 with 45.

    Twenty-one-year-old striker Rasmus Hojlund has netted 13 times in all competitions since being signed last summer to join an attack also featuring Marcus Rashford and Anthony Martial.

    Rashford has eight United goals to his name for 2023-24, and Martial – sidelined since groin surgery in January, with Ten Hag unsure if he will be available again before the end of the season – two.

    Asked at a press conference ahead of Saturday’s league trip to Bournemouth how vital it was that United sign a proven hitman this summer, Ten Hag said: “I think it would help.

    “In this plan we constructed we should have had enough goals. You count on goals from Rashy – last season he scored 30. You count on goals from Martial – in my first season he played very well and also in very important games he had a high impact on our performances.

    “And then bringing a goalscorer like Rasmus Hojlund in, it should have been enough goals.”

    Sir Jim Ratcliffe became minority owner at United in February, taking control of football operations.

    A change was confirmed this week as the club on Tuesday announced John Murtough was stepping down as football director, and United are looking to bring in Newcastle sporting director Dan Ashworth and Southampton director of football Jason Wilcox.

    Ten Hag said with regard to the summer: “We are working in the background on plans with scouting. We are working on our plan, the plan is ready, but it has to execute, and I trust the new ownership that they will work as quick as possible and bring new good structures and that they can execute.

    “We have good plans, I think also with quality players. You see now about recruitment: (Andre) Onana is doing very well, Rasmus Hojlund, everyone is seeing his big talent and potential. (Lisandro) Martinez, everyone was hugely happy with him, and there are others.

    “So the recruitment is good. But if they (new directors) have even better ideas, we are always open. If you have options but they come with better options we are open.

    “But we have a way we want to play, so we know our profiles, so it has to match the profiles we want.”

    As well as the changes to the club hierarchy, the season has seen United – currently assessing Rashford, as well as midfielder Scott McTominay ahead of the Bournemouth game – hit by considerable injury problems, while there have also been other issues involving players such as that which led to Jadon Sancho leaving for Borussia Dortmund on loan in January.

    Asked about the challenges, Ten Hag said: “The thing is, you have to be realistic – as a manager, it’s like a minister, you don’t have anything in your hands but at the end of the day, and that is what you have to accept, you are responsible for everything. And I take that.

    “Some things… it just happens, and then you have to make the best out of it.”

    He added: “This business, this industry, is about results and many see only the results, but you have to see also what’s underneath. I see underneath and I see the potential. I see the direction. So I’m positive in the way we want to go, and we will be successful.”

  • Dundee United edge closer to promotion with convincing win at Morton Dundee United edge closer to promotion with convincing win at Morton

    Dundee United took a big step in earning promotion straight back to the cinch Premiership as a 4-1 victory at Morton moved them to within two wins of the Championship title.

    With just three games remaining, the Terrors look set for an immediate return to the top flight after another convincing result saw them open up a seven-point lead at the top – with closest chasers Raith Rovers in action against third-placed Partick Thistle on Saturday.

    Captain Ross Docherty nodded the visitors in front before Glenn Middleton and Louis Moult struck either side of the break.

    Tony Watt made sure of the points just before the hour but Morton did pull one back through Robbie Muirhead, although any sort of comeback never looked like materialising.

© 2023 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.