Rest can wait as World Cup stars Mbappe, Neymar and Hakimi prepare for PSG call of duty

By Sports Desk December 27, 2022

Christophe Galtier insists there is no risk involved in throwing his World Cup stars straight back into Ligue 1 action.

The likes of Neymar, Kylian Mbappe and Achraf Hakimi are poised to face Strasbourg on Wednesday as the French top flight cranks into gear once more.

A six-week break for domestic duty has seen PSG's star names experience the roller coaster emotions and intense scrutiny of national team duty at the highest level.

Hakimi helped Morocco make history by becoming Africa's first semi-finalists, while Neymar had an injury-plagued campaign that ended with Brazil's defeat on penalties to Croatia in the quarter-finals.

Mbappe then experienced the cruellest of fates when he became just the second man to hit a hat-trick in a World Cup final, only to finish as a runner-up after France's spot-kicks loss to Argentina.

Ten days will have passed since that loss at Lusail Stadium when Mbappe steps out to face lowly domestic rivals, and Galtier said: "I don't think there is a risk.

"They wanted to get to play in these very important league games. Of course, we will need to manage things in the coming weeks to see how Achraf Hakimi and Kylian Mbappe cope.

"We are thinking about that and we will need to find the fight time for them to rest."

That rest is likely to come sooner rather than later, given PSG have Champions League commitments from February, but for now Galtier believes his players are reliable judges of their readiness to play.

 

Head coach Galtier saw PSG pull five points clear of second-placed Lens before the World Cup, and with a trip to Stade Bollaert-Delelis coming up on Sunday, the Strasbourg game might be seen by outsiders as a soft landing before the first big test arrives.

Galtier sees it as nothing of the sort, warning the 19th-placed visitors are "playing for their lives" and suggesting PSG's previous form counts for nothing.

Strasbourg have won just one of 15 league games to date this season, while unbeaten PSG have 41 points from the same number of matches.

Strasbourg also have the highest expected goals against total in Ligue 1 this season (28.52 xGA), signalling their opponents have been able to create a high number of good goalscoring chances, while PSG have the lowest (15.06 xGA) and have shipped just nine goals.

 

PSG are unbeaten in 31 home games against Strasbourg in Ligue 1 (W24 D7), too, the longest such streak against a specific opponent by a Ligue 1 team without ever losing.

On paper, therefore, there is little for Strasbourg to cling to. PSG have not lost at home in their past 36 home games spanning all competitions (W30 D6), since losing to Manchester City in the Champions League in April of last year.

Perhaps the only saving grace for the team from Alsace is they will not have to face World Cup winner Lionel Messi, who has been granted an extended break by PSG.

Galtier knows anything less than three points would be a disappointment, which is why he is preparing the team with the utmost seriousness and backing them to respond.

"If you just focus on the table that would be a big mistake," Galtier said.

"We are starting from scratch. That is what I said to my players. We had a very good start to the season and we know why that was. The players a had a serious approach. They were demanding. They showed determination and humility.

"They want to achieve something together and all of us need to be in the same mindset tomorrow come kick-off."

Related items

  • Lazio veteran Immobile signs for Besiktas Lazio veteran Immobile signs for Besiktas

    Ciro Immobile has ended an eight-year stay with Lazio after signing for Besiktas.

    The Italy striker's exit was confirmed on Saturday, with Immobile leaving Lazio as the club's all-time leading scorer with 207 goals.

    Reports in Italy suggest that Lazio are set to receive a fee worth up to €3million, while the 34-year-old has signed a two-year contract in Turkiye.

    "An agreement has been reached with the player and his club regarding the transfer of professional football player Ciro Immobile," the Turkish giants said in a short statement. 

    "An agreement has been reached with the player for two seasons, starting from the 2024-25 season, and the player will be paid a guaranteed net fee of €6,000,000 for each season."

    Addressing Lazio's supporters in a video posted on their official website, Immobile said: "I think the moment has come to not say goodbye, but see you again. This will always remain my home.

    "I will cheer you on. I am a Lazio fan. I send hugs and hope to see you soon. An exceptional journey, but like all beautiful stories, there's a beginning and an end.

    "The fans have been fantastic, they've given me everything."

  • Canada's Marsch denies USA links with 'no interest' after Berhalter dismissal Canada's Marsch denies USA links with 'no interest' after Berhalter dismissal

    Jesse Marsch rubbished links to the United States men's national team, insisting his commitment remains with Canada.

    The former Leeds United manager is preparing Canada for their third-place play-off at the Copa America against Uruguay on Sunday.

    Canada's next fixture after that will come against the USA in September, with suggestions Marsch may have had a say in setting up the meeting.

    Yet the 50-year-old offered an emphatic denial for any links to the USA coaching role, from which Gregg Berhalter was sacked this week after a woeful Copa showing on home soil.

    "I'm not leaving this job," Marsch said. "I have no interest in the U.S. job. And to be fair, unless there's a big shift in the organisation, I don't think that I'll ever have an interest in that job in the future.

    "I'm really happy here. I couldn't be happier, actually, in terms of what it's like to work with the leaders in this organisation and what it's like to work with this team."

    Marsch has previously hit out at the USA for their treatment of him when the national side were looking for a new manager in 2022.

    The Canada head coach was thought to be the leading contender after the 2022 World Cup when Berhalter's contract expired.

    Berhalter was unexpectedly rehired shortly after, however, as Marsch said he "wasn't treated very well in the process" in discussions over the managerial vacancy.

    Marsch has somewhat had the last laugh, though, with Canada reaching the semi-finals at the Copa while the USA were dumped out in the group stages.

  • Rice lauds 'leader' Mainoo ahead of Euro 2024 final against Spain Rice lauds 'leader' Mainoo ahead of Euro 2024 final against Spain

    Declan Rice lauded praise on England midfield partner Kobbie Mainoo for his leadership qualities during his run in the side at Euro 2024. 

    Mainoo has started alongside Rice in the Three Lions' three knockout games against Slovakia, Switzerland and the Netherlands. 

    The Manchester United midfielder, who enjoyed a breakthrough season under Erik ten Hag, made history in England's semi-final win over Ronald Koeman's side. 

    At 19 years and 82 days, Mainoo became the youngest player to play for England in the semi-final of a major tournament.

    Mainoo received the man of the match award, starring in midfield as he made more tackles (two) and interceptions (two) than any other Three Lions player in Dortmund. 

    "You can just see. You speak to him and just feel his calm presence that he has and what I like about him is that he is not scared to say it how it is," said Rice.

    "There was something towards the end [against the Netherlands] when he gave me a pass between the lines and I got sold short for it.

    "We had to sprint back and we had bit at each other - but that is good because you need that relationship. At 19, I can't imagine many saying that to older players and that's what I love about him.

    "That is what the lads love about him as well. He gets that respect, he has that leadership and the way he takes the ball and is comfortable.

    "The conversations we've been having daily with each other and on the training pitch have brought us together, and we have become a nice partnership."

    Rice has had another influential tournament with England, having played a major role in Gareth Southgate's side in their run to the delayed Euro 2020 final against Italy.

    In Germany, the Arsenal midfielder has had more touches (300) and completed more passes (236) while under high pressure than any other player at the tournament.

    He’s also made seven line breaking passes that have led to a shot within 10 seconds, more than any other England player, showcasing his ability in the forward areas. 

    Rice was previously partnered with Trent Alexander-Arnold and Conor Gallagher during the group games at the tournament but insists he has found a nice balance with Mainoo ahead of their meeting with Spain on Sunday.

    "I think when you're playing with a midfield partner, you need to understand each other's game. You need to play close to each other.

    "That's why you see us playing a couple of little passes to each other in games. You know, those little first pass connections are so important. And we've been working really well together on the training pitch.

    "So this boy is going to go on to be massive. He's destined for great things. And what I love about him as well is that he isn't big-headed. He's got a great family around him. You see his family in the stands after the game. They're so happy, smiley, speak to people. 

    "Man United have got a top player on their hands for the next decade, I'm sure."

© 2023 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.