Man Utd players must prove we deserve silverware, says Eriksen

By Sports Desk December 24, 2022

Manchester United's players must prove they deserve silverware as they continue to battle on multiple fronts under Erik ten Hag, according to midfielder Christian Eriksen.

The Red Devils defeated Burnley 2-0 on their return to action on Wednesday to reach the quarter-finals of the EFL Cup, where third-tier Charlton Athletic await.

Ten Hag's side are also still in the Europa League, albeit with Barcelona up next in the knockout round play-offs, while their FA Cup campaign begins against Everton next month.

Having not won a trophy since their Europa League success in the 2016-17 campaign, Eriksen accepts United are not in a position to prioritise certain competitions.

"It's been a few years since winning a trophy the last time," Eriksen, who arrived at United as a free agent in July, told talkSPORT. 

"From where the club were to where we are now, the aim is to focus on every competition and see where we are in the end.

"It hasn't specifically been said that we have to win this or win that – all of the players just want to win as much as possible.

"But to get there we first need to prove that we deserve to be there. It's about every tournament. Like you saw against Burnley, even the [EFL Cup] is important for us."

Eriksen played the full 90 minutes against Burnley and opened the scoring at Old Trafford, before Marcus Rashford doubled United's lead in the second period.

That was United's first match in six weeks due to the World Cup break, which saw an early exit for Eriksen and his below-par Denmark side at Qatar 2022.

Fifth-placed United now face Nottingham Forest, Wolves and Bournemouth in the space of a week as the Premier League resumes, and Eriksen is glad to be back playing.

"I think it's nice to be back," he said. "It was important to get through to the next round in the cup and get the feeling of everyone being back and getting the win."

Related items

  • Norwich back to winning ways after beating Birmingham Norwich back to winning ways after beating Birmingham

    Norwich put last weekend’s humiliation at Plymouth firmly behind them with a comfortable 2-0 win over Birmingham at Carrow Road.

    The Canaries were hammered 6-2 at Home Park, and had also lost their previous home game against Leicester, but two goals inside five minutes early in the second half got their Championship campaign back on track.

    Gabriel Sara set the ball rolling in the 55th minute with a close-range header and the hosts gave themselves some breathing space on the hour mark with a well-taken goal from Jonathan Rowe, his sixth of the season.

    For Birmingham it was a fifth league game without a win, following a bright start to the season that had seen them among the early pacesetters.

    Norwich had the better of a low-key first half, although a well-drilled visiting defence was largely untroubled.

    Adam Idah drilled a low shot just wide on 16 minutes before Dimitris Giannoulis was also narrowly off target after intercepting an attempted header back to his keeper from Cody Drameh.

    Idah then headed a right-wing cross straight at John Ruddy while the keeper also safely gathered a snap-shot from just outside the box by Christian Fassnacht.

    Birmingham seemed content to soak up the pressure and it took them nearly 40 minutes to register an effort on goal, with Jay Stansfield’s long range strike sailing well over the bar.

    The Canaries were quick out of the blocks in the second half, almost forcing the ball in from a goalmouth scramble in the very first minute.

    But it was the Blues who almost edged in front on 51 minutes.

    Stansfield found himself with a clear sight on goal after neat through ball from Koji Miyoshi and it required an excellent stop from Angus Gunn to keep out his powerful shot.

    Norwich were stung into action and finally got the goal their dominance deserved four minutes later.

    The ball was fed wide to Giannoulis on the left and his cross was delivered perfectly for Sara to head home from inside the six-yard box.

    That eased the nerves inside Carrow Road and it was 2-0 shortly afterwards as Birmingham carelessly lost possession in their own half and Rowe burst into the area before beating the exposed Ruddy low to his left.

    Miyoshi hit the crossbar with a well-struck shot as the visitors sought a response but that was as good as it got, with Norwich seeing out the game with the minimum of fuss.

  • Wasteful Hibernian draw blank against Dundee Wasteful Hibernian draw blank against Dundee

    Hibernian had to settle for a point at home to Dundee after failing to make their pressure count in an entertaining goalless draw.

    The home team registered 23 attempts at goal, but poor finishing let them down.

    Dylan Vente and Paul Hanlon both had efforts saved in the first half before the likes of Martin Boyle, Elie Youan, Vente and Will Fish wasted good chances in the second period.

    The visitors looked dangerous on the counter-attack and went close themselves through Zak Rudden and the impressive Owen Beck after the break.

    Both teams contributed to an entertaining start as they showed an appetite to attack.

    Hibs goalkeeper David Marshall was called into action after 12 minutes to parry a powerful Rudden header following a teasing cross from Luke McCowan.

    There was further panic at the back for the hosts when Fish’s attempted clearance came back off Amadou Bakayoko and flew over the bar from six yards.

    But Hibs soon regained their composure before stepping up the pressure at the other end.

    Dundee keeper Trevor Carson did well to keep out a Vente header at the back post when it looked like the striker would score.

    Hibs captain Hanlon then had an effort saved from close range before glancing a header wide from a Joe Newell free-kick.

    Hibs were enjoying aerial dominance inside the area from set-plays and should have done more with their openings.

    On the stroke of half-time Carson got down well to a curling Newell free-kick from the corner of the area.

    Dundee always looked dangerous on the counter, but it was Hibs who forced the issue in the second half as they created countless chances.

    After the home side had heaved a sigh of relief when Rudden curled a shot just wide from inside the area, Hibs increased the pressure.

    Boyle had a shot saved inside the box from a good position before Youan had an effort repelled by Carson.

    Frenchman Youan then did well to create space inside the area, but Dundee skipper Joe Shaughnessy threw himself in the way of the shot to make a crucial block.

    But Hibs kept coming and Carson had to be alert to push out a clever flick from Vente at the near post from a Boyle corner.

    Another Boyle corner saw Fish head over, while substitute Christian Doidge headed straight at Carson from a long throw from Lewis Miller.

    Dundee could have won it with a stunning counter led by Luke McCowan. The midfielder sped away from Boyle and found substitute Ryan Howley. The midfielder crossed for Beck and the wing-back lashed a fierce volley straight at Marshall.

    Boyle then shot wide at the other end from a Youan pass when he should have at least hit the target.

  • Solihull maintain unbeaten start with hard-fought draw at York Solihull maintain unbeaten start with hard-fought draw at York

    Solihull extended their unbeaten start in the National League to 13 matches after being held in a see-saw 2-2 draw at York.

    Dipo Akinyemi had twice gone close for York before Thierry Latty-Fairweather gave them the lead just before half-time, sweeping the ball home at the far post.

    The Minstermen’s advantage was short-lived as Solihull drew level three minutes into the second period when Callum Maycock squeezed in a shot from a tight angle after being played in by Josh Kelly.

    Kelly headed Solihull in front with a looping effort from Danny Newton’s free-kick, but York levelled it up again through Maz Kouhyar, who lashed home a half-cleared free-kick.

© 2023 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.