Ten Hag: Man Utd display in Cadiz defeat 'not acceptable'

By Sports Desk December 08, 2022

Erik ten Hag accused his Manchester United players of "sleeping" in their friendly defeat to Cadiz and says the first-half display was "not acceptable".

United lost 4-2 to the LaLiga strugglers at Estadio Nuevo Mirandilla on Wednesday in their first of two warm-up matches before the season resumes in a fortnight.

The Red Devils were two down inside 14 minutes in Spain, but they levelled up through Anthony Martial's penalty and a deflected Kobbie Mainoo strike either side of half-time.

But United, who fielded different sides in each half, conceded two more goals and manager Ten Hag was not pleased with what he saw from his experimental side.

"It is quite clear. We were not awake, still sleeping, in first 15 minutes," he told MUTV. "They are a threat in transition. We have seen, the second goal can't happen. 

"We were not awake in the defence but also in the midfield we got run off. It's not possible and it's not acceptable.

"After that, we came into the game and got a penalty. I think it was a clear one and I think maybe the second half we deserved another penalty, but the first one was a clear one. 

"We came in the game, but we couldn't make the equaliser before half-time."

United were without 15 players who have been, or still are, taking part in the World Cup, and Ten Hag used the friendly as a chance to give some younger players some action.

"They gave energy," Ten Hag said of the youngsters such as Shola Shoretire and goalscorer Mainoo. "They run; they fight.

"They're maybe not always in the right organisation, so they make mistakes because they are not used to playing in this level. It was a good lesson.

"You see that if you make small mistakes, they have big consequences and that's what happened."

Victor Lindelof, Scott McTominay, Donny van Beek and Martial were among the players to start for United, who face Real Betis next on Saturday.

Reflecting on what was a first run-out for his players since beating Fulham 2-1 on November 13, Ten Hag said: "We've spoken about the game and we'll do so again tomorrow.

"Then we have to strike it, draw a line and then move on. It can't happen in the future. The first 15 minutes cannot happen. That's not our standard and that should not happen."

United's first game after the World Cup break is against Burnley in the EFL Cup last 16 on December 21, before facing Nottingham Forest in the Premier League six days later.

Related items

  • Ali Al-Hamadi stars as Wimbledon beat Tranmere and move into play-off places Ali Al-Hamadi stars as Wimbledon beat Tranmere and move into play-off places

    Ali Al-Hamadi bagged a hat-trick as AFC Wimbledon earned their first home win of the Sky Bet League Two season, fighting back to beat Tranmere 4-1.

    Connor Jennings’ early opener was cancelled out by Armani Little, before three from Al-Hamadi tied up the points for the hosts, moving them into the play-off positions.

    A well-worked corner handed the visitors the lead inside four minutes, with Jennings pouncing at the far post to fire into the roof of the net.

    The game soon turned on its head, however, and after Little’s deflected effort brought parity, Al-Hamadi slotted home in the 32nd minute to give the Dons the advantage going into the interval.

    Tranmere’s Jordan Turnbull saw red for a reckless challenge eight minutes after the break, before Al-Hamadi doubled his tally to compound the visitors’ woes.

    The Iraqi international completed his hat-trick two minutes from time, shooting into the far corner to secure the win for Johnnie Jackson’s side and keep Tranmere in the bottom two.

  • Cardiff continue fine form with victory over Rotherham Cardiff continue fine form with victory over Rotherham

    Cardiff registered a fourth successive Championship win as they eased to a 2-0 victory over struggling Rotherham.

    Second-half goals from striker Kion Etete and full-back Perry Ng were enough for the sixth-placed Bluebirds to claim all three points and continue their recent surge up the table.

    It was not an encounter that will live long in the memory, but Erol Bulut’s home side were full value for the victory, with a dismal Rotherham team barely laying a glove on them all afternoon.

    The first half could scarcely have been a drabber spectacle.

    Both sides managed some neat and intricate passing, but largely in the middle third.

    Cardiff enjoyed most of the territory and possession, but did very little with it.

    Their best opportunity before the interval fell to captain Ryan Wintle who found space in the box in the 43rd minute, only for Rotherham goalkeeper Viktor Johansson to comfortably save his tame effort.

    Before that, a scuffed attempt from right wing Yakou Meite and Etete’s speculative 20-yard shot was the closest the home side came to breaking the deadlock.

    The Millers were even less threatening, ending the first half without creating a single opportunity worthy of note.

    Their bluntness spoke volumes about their disappointing start to the campaign, but Cardiff fans will have expected more from the hosts.

    Any momentum from the recent upturn in fortunes was nowhere to be seen, with the Bluebirds lacking urgency and attacking ideas.

    With the second half came a marked increase in tempo from Cardiff – and they were rewarded with the opening goal in the 56th minute.

    Left wing Karlan Grant exchanged passes with Joe Ralls on the flank and Grant’s cross was met by a downward header into the bottom corner from Etete, who outmuscled Rotherham full-back Cohen Bramall far too easily.

    Cardiff’s dominance of the ball continued. Substitute Ollie Tanner – who replaced the injured Meite in the 18th minute – flashed a shot just wide, and Grant increasingly made his presence felt out wide.

    Rotherham waited until the 80th minute to threaten an equaliser when substitute Arvin Appiah cut in from the right and sent a left-footed shot just over the crossbar.

    It triggered a promising spell of pressure from the away side, but fashioning clear-cut chances remained a problem.

    Cardiff, with centre-half Mark McGuinness outstanding, were rock solid at the back.

    And just a minute before the end of normal time the Bluebirds counter-attacked for a second goal.

    Ng rammed home a loose ball in the box after Rotherham botched an attempted clearance and the win was sealed.

  • Archie Collins opens Peterborough account in win over Bristol Rovers Archie Collins opens Peterborough account in win over Bristol Rovers

    Archie Collins scored his first Peterborough goal in a 2-0 triumph against Bristol Rovers.

    Collins opened his Posh account after a summer switch from Exeter as the hosts made the breakthrough after 26 minutes.

    His 25-yard half-volley flew into the far corner with the aid of a helpful deflection off Rovers defender Josh Grant.

    Anthony Evans landed an ambitious effort from long range on the roof of the Posh net as Rovers failed to find a leveller before the break.

    The deficit doubled two minutes into the second half when David Ajiboye pounced for his first Football League goal in Posh colours.

    Ajiboye was on hand to finish after Rovers keeper Matthew Cox had superbly denied Hector Kyprianou following a fine pass from Ricky-Jade Jones.

    Posh striker Jonson Clarke-Harris, who saw a club-record return to Rovers collapse on transfer deadline day, prevented his suitors from hitting back with a goal-line clearance to deny Aaron Collins from point-blank range.

    Substitute Jevani Brown’s strike against a post was the closest Rovers came to replying before keeper Cox prevented further damage late on with another stunning stop from Kyprianou.

© 2023 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.