Allegri going nowhere following mass resignation of Juventus board, says Elkann

By Sports Desk November 29, 2022

Massimiliano Allegri will remain at Juventus following the resignation of the club's entire board, according to John Elkann, chief executive of the club's majority ownership group Exor.

After an emergency meeting on Monday, Juve announced key figures including president Andrea Agnelli, vice-president Pavel Nedved and managing director Maurizio Arrivabene had all quit their roles.

The exodus comes amid an investigation into tax fraud allegations – which the Bianconeri have denied, and follows the club's registration of record €254.3million losses for 2021-22.

While LaLiga has called on UEFA to apply "immediate sporting sanctions" to the Bianconeri, Exor chief Elkann has moved to allay fears the boardroom turmoil may impact on-pitch matters.

"Massimiliano Allegri remains the point of reference in the Juventus sports area," Elkann said.

"We are counting on him and on the whole team to continue winning as they have shown they can do in the last few [match] days, keeping our goals high on the pitch."

Elkann also paid tribute to Agnelli's achievements as Juve president, adding: "I want to thank my cousin Andrea for giving us extraordinary emotions, which we will never forget. 

"In these 12 years, we have won so much. The credit is mainly his, as well as the women and men who have achieved memorable goals under his leadership.

"Our history speaks of victories and gives us the strength we need precisely in these moments. With the support and affection of our fans, we have the opportunity to build an extraordinary future."

Allegri, who faced serious scrutiny after overseeing Juve's group-stage exit from the Champions League earlier this campaign, joined Elkann in praising Agnelli's work in Turin. 

"It is always very positive to feel the closeness of the shareholders, and therefore I thank John Elkann for these words," he said.

"In recent years of work, passion and victories, I have always been able to count on the support of Andrea Agnelli, to whom I am bound by a friendship that will not end with the end of his presidency."

Related items

  • Darmian signs new Inter contract Darmian signs new Inter contract

    Matteo Darmian has signed a new contract with Inter until 2024.

    The full-back was due to see his previous deal expire at the end of the season, although it was widely expected fresh terms would be agreed.

    Inter announced the news on Thursday, less than 48 hours after Darmian scored the winning goal in the Coppa Italia quarter-final against Atalanta.

    "Hi Inter fans. I'm delighted to keep on wearing these colours. See you at the stadium," Darmian said in a video posted on social media.

    Darmian joined Inter in 2020 from Manchester United, initially on loan before making a permanent move the following year.

    He was part of the Serie A winning side in his first year at the club and lifted the Coppa Italia last season, as well as the Supercoppa Italiana – a trophy Inter retained last month by beating rivals Milan.

  • Jamaica names squad for CONCACAF Under-17 Men's Championships Jamaica names squad for CONCACAF Under-17 Men's Championships

    Head coach Merron Gordon and his staff have selected the 20-man squad which will represent Jamaica at the Concacaf U17 Men’s Championship in Guatemala from February 11-26.

    He also named four reserves who will continue to train with the team as changes can be made in case of injury, as late as match day minus one.

    Gordon’s assistant coaches will be Andrew Peart and Vassel Reynolds while Andrew Sewell will serve as goalkeeping coach.

    The rest of the staff reads: Ronald Watson (Kit Man), Wendell Downswell (Technical Director), Lamar Morgan (Physical Trainer), Dr. Edmund Regis (Team Doctor), Remawn Thomas (Team Manager), Alvin Green (Masseur), Tajay Bailey (Physiotherapist), Baron Watson (HOD).

    The delegation departs on February 9.

    The squad is as follows: Taywayne Lynch (Mount Pleasant Academy), Joshua Grant (Inter Miami FC), Ahir Dixon (Mount Pleasant Academy), Alexavier Gooden (Cavalier SC), Malik Robinson (Unattached), Nashon Bolt (Unattached), Ronaldo Barrett (Cavalier SC), Adrian Reid (Cavalier SC), Malachi Molina (FC Dallas Academy), Brandon Bent (Inter Miami FC Academy), Ja-son White (Unattached), Jordan Mantagal (South Florida Academy), Everald Swaby (Unattached), Jahmani Bell (Phoenix Academy), Dusting Cohen (Vere United FC), Orane Watson (Harbour View FC), Nicholas Simmonds (Richmond United Academy), Adrian Mahoney (Toronto FC Academy), Ashton Gordon (Atlanta United Academy), Dyllan John (Phoenix Academy).

    Reserves: Odane Wilberforce (Mount Pleasant Academy), Samir Bloise (FC Prime), Ryan Heron (Orlando City FC), Che-Daniel Gardner (Unattached).

  • Charges against Man Utd forward Mason Greenwood dropped Charges against Man Utd forward Mason Greenwood dropped

    Criminal proceedings against Manchester United forward Mason Greenwood have been discontinued, the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) has announced.

    The 21-year-old was arrested in January 2022 and was due to stand trial in November on accusations of attempted rape, assault and coercive control.

    However, the CPS confirmed on Thursday that all charges have been dropped.

    A statement read: "Mason Greenwood was charged in October 2022 with one count of attempted rape, one count of controlling and coercive behaviour and one count of assault occasioning actual bodily harm.

    "A decision has been made to discontinue prosecution in accordance with the Code of Crown Prosecutors."

    A CPS spokesperson said: "We have a duty to keep cases under continuous review.

    "In this case a combination of the withdrawal of key witnesses and new material that came to light meant there was no longer a realistic prospect of conviction. In these circumstances, we are under a duty to stop the case.

    "We have explained our decision to all parties. We would always encourage any potential victims to come forward and report to police and we will prosecute wherever our legal test is met."

    Chief Superintendent Michaela Kerr, Greater Manchester Police's Head of Public Protection, said: "Given the significant media coverage of this case, it is only fair that we share the news that the 21-year-old man, who had been arrested and charged in connection with an investigation opened in January 2022, no longer faces criminal proceedings in relation to this.

    "The investigation team has remained in regular contact with the legal team, providing any updates of note, and so understand the rationale for the discontinuation of proceedings at this stage, and that this decision has not been taken lightly.

    "Despite the media and public’s interest in this case, we have decided not to comment on it in any further detail."

    Greenwood last played for United on January 22 last year in a 1-0 victory against West Ham before being suspended by the club.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.