EPL

Ronaldo interview unexpected and 'not in his nature,' says ex-Man Utd team-mate Fortune

By Sports Desk November 26, 2022

Cristiano Ronaldo's seismic interview that culminated in his Manchester United departure was "not in his nature," according to former team-mate Quinton Fortune.

United announced earlier this month they had reached a mutual agreement with Ronaldo to terminate his contract with immediate effect, following a controversial interview conducted with Piers Morgan prior to the World Cup.

The Portugal captain did not hold back with his array of criticisms, including ones directed towards manager Erik ten Hag, and it became apparent he was on borrowed time at Old Trafford.

Fortune played alongside Ronaldo during his first stint with the Red Devils between 2003 and 2006, and the ex-South Africa international expressed his sadness at the nature of his former team-mate's departure.

"I was fortunate enough to play with Ronaldo, and I was fortunate to play for Manchester United," Fortune told Stats Perform. "So, it's sad the way it ended. Things happen in this game, but nothing stays forever.

"I would have loved to seen it end in a beautiful way by Ronaldo staying in the club, winning the league, helping them get in the Champions League first, and that wasn't meant to be.

"He is an out-and-out winner, and he's always looking for excellence in everything he does. He's always going to push the boundaries of wanting to get better.

"I didn't expect [his interview]. It's not in his nature, and I was a little bit surprised, but these things happen in football.

"Most important is that the club is on the move, Ronaldo is on the move and both will succeed wherever, whatever they do."

Despite his second spell ending on a sour note, Fortune is confident that will not change his or the United supporters' perception of Ronaldo, who scored a combined 145 goals in 346 appearances for the club.

"It would be very strange for them not to love him," he added. "You know what Ronaldo has achieved at the club, and I was lucky enough and fortunate enough to be the witness at the beginning when he arrived.

"[He was] such a special player, but what made him better than all the players was his mentality, his self-belief, I've never seen anything like it."

On international duty with Portugal at the World Cup, the 37-year-old's future remains uncertain, but Fortune is adamant he is not finished yet.

"I'm sure he wants to continue playing Champions League football," the former midfielder said. "I'm sure he wants to win the Champions League again if it's possible because that's just him - he is a winner, and he's got that hunger.

"So, I hope he finds a club in Europe that fulfils his desires and helps him win some more trophies. He will not settle for anything; he will rattle the cage wherever he goes because he wants to win."

Related items

  • Neuer prioritised himself over Bayern with goalkeeping coach comments, says Salihamidzic Neuer prioritised himself over Bayern with goalkeeping coach comments, says Salihamidzic

    Hasan Salihamidzic has accused Manuel Neuer of putting his own interests above those of Bayern Munich amid a row over the sacking of goalkeeping coach Toni Tapalovic.

    Neuer, who is sidelined for the rest of the season after breaking his leg during a skiing trip in December, criticised the club's decision to part ways with Tapalovic in an interview with The Athletic.

    The Germany international said his long-term mentor's exit came as a "blow", adding: "It really knocked me down". 

    Neuer's comments have attracted criticism from Bayern's hierarchy, with chief executive Oliver Kahn saying they "do not do justice to him as captain or to the values of FC Bayern".

    Sporting director Salihamidzic echoed those thoughts in an interview with BILD, saying he expected more from the Bayern skipper and declaring Tapalovic's exit was not the goalkeeper's concern. 

    "I understand that Manuel is personally affected. But I would have expected a different behaviour from him, especially as a captain," Salihamidzic said.

    "The Tapalovic decision, which was also difficult for us personally, had nothing to do with Manuel in this matter, and we explained that to him."

    Asked if any punishment would be handed out to Neuer, Salihamidzic said: "If there are any consequences, we will first talk to Manuel about it himself. 

    "The disappointment that he describes about Tapa's release also prevails with us because Manuel has put his personal interests above the interests of the club here.

    "We will do it internally, and discuss it reasonably with him. Oliver classified the parts of the interview that are relevant for Bayern correctly. We have to clarify a very important topic with Manuel."

  • 'What a waste of money' – Potter warns Chelsea new boys must deal with derisive chants 'What a waste of money' – Potter warns Chelsea new boys must deal with derisive chants

    Graham Potter has warned Chelsea's new signings about the derision they will face from opposing fans after Fulham's supporters described Enzo Fernandez as "a waste of money".

    Chelsea had three of their January signings in the starting XI as they slumped to a goalless draw at home to west London rivals Fulham on Friday, leaving the Blues 10 points adrift of the Premier League's top four.

    Chelsea spent a reported £294.8million in the January transfer window alone, making Fernandez the Premier League's record signing on deadline day having already acquired Mykhaylo Mudryk, Benoit Badiashile, Andrey Santos, David Datro Fofana, Joao Felix, Noni Madueke and Malo Gusto.

    Though Fernandez was largely impressive on his debut, the World Cup winner was taunted by Fulham's travelling fans, who directed chants of "what a waste of money" towards him.

    Potter knows Chelsea's recent arrivals must get used to that type of treatment, saying: "It's not just Enzo, it's the whole team.

    "It's normal because we have spent the money we've spent and you guys aren't going to let that go under the radar, so all of football will be singing that song.

    "We need to improve as a team. If you look back 18 months, Chelsea were not scoring and they thought they would spend £100m on a centre-forward and that would fix all the problems, and it didn't. 

    "You have to act better as a team. That's our challenge. That's what we need to do."

    Chelsea's spending has attracted criticism from rival managers, with Liverpool's Jurgen Klopp joking he would not speak about the Blues' business without a lawyer present. 

    Manchester City's Pep Guardiola, meanwhile, implied there would be more of a backlash if the champions embarked on a spending spree similar to Chelsea's.

    Asked about those comments, Potter said: "Everybody's entitled to their opinion. It's a free world, it's free speech, which is good. 

    "[Guardiola and Klopp] are entitled to their opinion. I don't worry too much about that. They've got their right to speak."

    With Chelsea winning one of their six Premier League games since the turn of the year, Potter is under pressure to get his squad to gel quickly, but the former Brighton and Hove Albion boss does not know how long it will take.

    "I don't think anyone could give you a timescale," he added. "If I could get a month for every time I was asked that question, I would be here for five years."

  • Rumour Has It: Bayern Munich looking to pry Fati from Barcelona Rumour Has It: Bayern Munich looking to pry Fati from Barcelona

    The future of Ansu Fati at Barcelona appears to be increasingly uncertain.

    Fati was a revelation when he first broke into the Barca first team, but has suffered several injury issues that have halted his momentum.

    Even when fit, Fati has struggled to get into Xavi's side this season, featuring in 30 games but only nine times from the start, with six goals and three assists to show for it.

    And reports are starting to emerge that vultures may be circling to offer the Spain international more regular football.

     

    TOP STORY – BAYERN LEAD THE WAY IN HUNT FOR ANSU FATI

    Mundo Deportivo reports that Bayern Munich are at the head of a queue of seven European clubs interested in making a move for Fati at the end of the season.

    It is also mentioned that four of the seven potential suitors come from the big-spending Premier League, though only Arsenal and Tottenham are named.

    The player only signed a new deal in 2021 that committed him to Barca until 2027, with a release clause of €1billion, but the continued absence of Fati in the starting XI even after Ousmane Dembele's latest injury is apparently a concern to the player's agent, Jorge Mendes.

    ROUND-UP

    Barca, Atletico Madrid and Milan are all looking at a move for Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang at the end of the campaign after Chelsea surprisingly left the striker out of their Champions League squad, according to the Mail.

    Chelsea are poised to join Manchester United in targeting Napoli hitman Victor Osimhen as the Blues look to solve their goalscoring problems, report the Mirror.

    Real Madrid turned down the chance to sign Joao Cancelo on loan from Manchester City before he went to Bayern on transfer deadline day, according to Fabrizio Romano.

    – The Mail has pointed to Tottenham's good relations with Atletico as reason for their optimism about signing Jan Oblak and Yannick Carrasco at the end of the season.

    – The Mirror reports that Manchester United will look to move on six players at the end of the season, including Harry Maguire, Scott McTominay, Anthony Martial and Donny van de Beek.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.