EPL

'A dream come true' – Fernandes to remember Ronaldo's time at Man Utd fondly

By Sports Desk November 23, 2022

Bruno Fernandes described his time playing with Cristiano Ronaldo at Manchester United as a "dream come true" after the five-time Ballon d'Or winner left the club by mutual consent.

Ronaldo's United departure appeared inevitable after he gave a bombshell interview to Piers Morgan, in which he said the club had "betrayed" him and declared he did not respect manager Erik ten Hag.

Having committed to taking "appropriate steps" against Ronaldo, United confirmed on Tuesday they had severed ties with the forward with immediate effect.

As Fernandes prepares to team up with Ronaldo for Portugal's World Cup opener against Ghana on Thursday, the attacking midfielder said he will cherish their time spent together at Old Trafford.

Asked whether speculation concerning Ronaldo's future had affected him, Fernandes said: "I don't feel uncomfortable. I don't have to pick a side. It was a privilege, to play at the club with Cristiano was a dream. 

"Cristiano has always been an inspiration for me, so it was a dream come true to be able to play with him at the club, but we know that nothing lasts forever. 

"It was great for me and good while it lasted. Cristiano took a different decision for his life and his decision has to be respected, regardless of us agreeing or not. 

"We are players, but we're also parents, brothers, we know it might be difficult to take these decisions but they have to be for the wellness of ourselves and our families."

Fernandes also insists he has not discussed Ronaldo's next steps with him, adding: "Cristiano hasn't discussed with me, it's his decision, a personal decision and it should pertain to him and his family, that's for sure. 

"We haven't discussed the topic, we are focused on the national team, the World Cup. You know how important playing for the national team is for Cristiano. 

"That's a dream for a player, winning the World Cup, and it's a competition where every player wants to play. 

"Our focus is 100 per cent on the national team, we are aware of what we have to do. I don't believe that what he's done or decided will have any impact on the national team."

Last week, onlookers speculated that an awkward handshake between Ronaldo and Fernandes demonstrated discontent between the duo, though Joao Mario later insisted it was the result of a joke after Fernandes arrived late for Portugal's pre-tournament camp.

Fernandes repeated Joao Mario's explanation on Wednesday, adding: "It was a joke. When you take regular flights – these things happen!

"I wasn't worried about knowing his future at that moment. If it weren't for this news, something else would happen.

"When you have to talk, you talk about those who make the most noise, and Cristiano is the one who makes the most noise in the world of football."

Ghana coach Otto Addo, meanwhile, was in no mood to allow Ronaldo's United departure to overshadow his own team's World Cup preparations.

"I don't know and I honestly don't care. It's not our problem," Addo said when asked about Ronaldo. "I don't think it will be a distraction. Everyone wants to win, it's a big game, it's the World Cup."

Related items

  • Liverpool great Heighway retires at 75 as Carragher leads tributes to mentor to Reds stars Liverpool great Heighway retires at 75 as Carragher leads tributes to mentor to Reds stars

    Liverpool favourite Steve Heighway has called time on his Reds career at the age of 75, with Jamie Carragher hailing him as "a huge influence".

    Former winger Heighway has spent 25 years working at the club's academy, across two spells, and Liverpool announced he has decided to retire.

    Heighway played for Liverpool from 1970 to 1981, winning a string of league titles and two European Cups with the Reds, while scoring 76 goals in 475 games.

    His youth coaching role proved hugely significant too, with Heighway helping to nurture talents such as Robbie Fowler, Steven Gerrard, Michael Owen and Carragher.

    He was head of youth development from 1989 to 2007 before initially retiring, but Heighway returned to the club as a full-time consultant in 2015, after being invited back by academy boss Alex Inglethorpe.

    That saw him work closely with Inglethorpe with a view to bringing through youngsters capable of challenging for places in Jurgen Klopp's first-team squad.

    Carragher, who made 737 appearances for Liverpool, was quick to thank Heighway on Thursday.

    He wrote on Twitter: "What a contribution from Steve Heighway @LFC as a player who won Leagues & European cups.

    "Then heading up an academy that produced McManaman, Fowler, Owen, Gerrard……amongst a few others!

    "A huge influence on me as a young player and still to this day. Thank you Steve."

    Inglethorpe told Liverpool's website: "Steve has decided it is the right time to retire from his coaching role at the club."

    He described Heighway overseeing "the development of some of the most iconic players to have played for Liverpool Football Club".

  • Uruguay star Suarez unapologetic to Ghana over 2010 handball: 'I didn't miss the penalty' Uruguay star Suarez unapologetic to Ghana over 2010 handball: 'I didn't miss the penalty'

    Luis Suarez feels no need to apologise for his handball against Ghana 12 years ago, as he hopes to propel Uruguay into the World Cup last 16.

    Having taken a point from their opening two matches in Qatar, Uruguay must beat Ghana on Friday to progress from Group H.

    However, the game at Al Janoub Stadium is something of a grudge match - at least from the point of view of Ghana supporters.

    While the Black Stars coach Otto Addo insisted Ghana will not be out for revenge, Suarez has been a hugely unpopular figure in the African nation since he handled on the line to deny Dominic Adiyiah a goal in extra-time of a World Cup quarter-final tie in 2010.

    Suarez was sent off, but Asamoah Gyan hit the crossbar from the resulting spot-kick, with Uruguay going on to progress to the semi-finals by winning the penalty shoot-out.

    The former Liverpool and Barcelona star has never considered apologising, though.

    "I don't apologise for that," he said in a press conference. 

    "I did the handball, but the Ghana player missed a penalty, not me.

    "Maybe I could apologise if I injured the player, but in this situation I was sent off, the ref said penalty – it's not my fault, because I didn't miss the penalty.

    "It's not my responsibility to score the penalty."

    When it was put to Suarez that Ghana, who could go through with a point, might be even more motivated if he plays in what could well be his final World Cup game, the 35-year-old suggested an obsession with revenge is unhealthy.

    "I haven't thought about this. I don't know what people are saying or if they want revenge," he replied.

    "The players who might play tomorrow might've been eight years old back then, will they be motivated? Some people might call me the Devil.

    "We beat Portugal in 2018, have you heard Portuguese people saying they needed revenge because we lost?"

    Suarez also referenced the incident involving Giorgio Chiellini in the 2014 World Cup, when the Uruguay forward bit the Italy defender on the shoulder.

    "What I did to Chiellini, I made a mistake, but afterwards we played together in the Champions League and shook hands," he added.

    "You can't focus on the past and revenge, that can be counter-productive."

    Uruguay coach Diego Alonso said: "For us it's a defining match and that's what matters, I don't know if Ghana will want revenge, we respect them and we will try to be better to be able to qualify."

    His counterpart Addo, meanwhile, reiterated Ghana's minds are not fixed on revenge.

    "This is what I wish from every player, to do all they can to get to the semi-final of a World Cup. Maybe sacrifice themselves. This is my perspective," he said.

    "It was very sad what happened in 2010, but we can't change it. In general, it is about perspective," Addo said.

    "If the same incident had happened the other way round people would have talked about it, so for me it is not a big topic. We are going into the match like any other."

  • France file complaint to FIFA over disallowed Griezmann goal France file complaint to FIFA over disallowed Griezmann goal

    France have filed a complaint to FIFA over the decision to disallow Antoine Griezmann's late goal in Wednesday's shock 1-0 World Cup loss to Tunisia.

    Griezmann thought he had cancelled out Wahbi Khazri's strike when he volleyed home in the eighth minute of stoppage time at Education City Stadium.

    However, after the celebrations had died down, referee Michael Conger ruled out Griezmann's goal for an offside infringement.

    The Atletico Madrid forward was adjudged to have been offside when firing in from Aurelien Tchouameni's pass, which took a deflection off a Tunisian defender.

    However, the French Football Federation (FFF) believe the officials were wrong to disallow the goal as play had already restarted when VAR intervened, which is prohibited.

    "We are writing a complaint after Antoine Griezmann's goal was, in our opinion, wrongly disallowed," said a widely released statement from the FFF on Wednesday. 

    "This complaint has to be filed within 24 hours after the final whistle."

    Khazri's superb strike at Education City Stadium ended reigning world champions France's nine-game unbeaten run in the competition stretching back to the 2014 quarter-finals.

    However, the result ultimately meant little in the context of Group D as France still went through in top spot and Australia claimed second place with a 1-0 win over Denmark.

    Should France be successful with their appeal and the scoreline is changed to 1-1, the final points tallies in Group D will change but not the positions of any of the four sides.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.