EPL

'Time to seek a new challenge' - Ronaldo releases statement after Man Utd exit

By Sports Desk November 22, 2022

Cristiano Ronaldo says it was "the right time to seek a new challenge" after Manchester United announced he was to leave Old Trafford with immediate effect.

Ronaldo caused a storm last week in an exclusive interview with Piers Morgan, in which he said he felt "betrayed" by senior figures at the club and spoke of having no "respect" for manager Erik ten Hag.

United responded by saying they had "initiated appropriate steps" following the interview, and on Tuesday revealed the club and Ronaldo had gone separate ways "by mutual agreement".

Following the news, Ronaldo released a statement of his own, saying: "Following conversations with Manchester United we have mutually agreed to end our contract early.

"I love Manchester United and I love the fans, that will never ever change. However, it feels like the right time for me to seek a new challenge.

"I wish the team every success for the remainder of the season and for the future."

Related items

  • Rumour Has It: Morocco standout Sofyan Amrabat on Liverpool's radar Rumour Has It: Morocco standout Sofyan Amrabat on Liverpool's radar

    Sofyan Amrabat has been at the centre of Morocco's surprise success at the World Cup, and his performances have put the Fiorentina midfielder on the radar of several Premier League clubs.

    Amrabat, 26, had his first taste of Serie A football when he was loaned from Club Brugge to Hellas Verona for the 2019-20 season, catching the eye of Fiorentina, who scooped him up the following year.

    The defensive midfielder has steadily increased his role at Fiorentina, making 10 starts and three substitute appearances in the league this season.

    He played every minute of Morocco's three group games, guiding his side to an undefeated record (W2 D1) with clean sheets against both Belgium and Croatia, and now he is reportedly wanted by the English elite.

     

    TOP STORY – AMRABAT EMERGES AS LIVERPOOL AND TOTTENHAM TARGET

    According to Sky Sports Germany, Liverpool believe Amrabat can address their midfield depth issues, and could be available for €30million in January.

    An earlier report from La Repubblica claimed Tottenham had enquired about a potential deal last January, and his terrific tournament has only strengthened their interest. 

    With a blockbuster last-16 clash booked against Spain on Tuesday, another standout performance could have Amrabat packing his bags for an impending move to England.

     

    ROUND-UP

    – Calciomercato is reporting 23-year-old Barcelona target Martin Zubimendi is also on Manchester United's radar, although the Spaniard's contract ties him to Real Sociedad until 2027.

    – Calciomercato is also reporting Cristiano Ronaldo is "very interested" in joining Chelsea if the Stamford Bridge side will have him.

    – According to Fichajes, Inter would like to bring Barcelona midfielder Franck Kessie back to Serie A, but cannot afford to purchase him outright in January, while the Spanish side are not willing to let him leave on a loan deal.

    – 90min is reporting Real Madrid would need Kylian Mbappe to agree to certain conditions – including a pay cut and significantly less behind-the-scenes influence – if he wants to come to the club in the near future.

    – Newcastle United are not planning any moves in January, and are open to parting ways with 28-year-old winger Ryan Fraser, according to the Telegraph.

  • Talented Bournemouth winger Anthony not ready to choose between England and Jamaica Talented Bournemouth winger Anthony not ready to choose between England and Jamaica

    Talented Bournemouth winger Jaidon Anthony insists he is in no hurry to decide his future with both international teams England and Jamaica being options at this point.

    In truth the 22-year-old winger might not be a major consideration for either country at this point, having not secured much time on the pitch in the English Premier League (EPL).

    In total the player has made only 12 appearances but has shown plenty of ability with the 3 goals he has scored so far.  At Bournemouth, Antony is teammates with Jamaica international Jamal Lowe who has already attempted to sell the young player on representing the Caribbean team.  At this point in time, however, he insists he is not yet ready to consider it.

    “My mum and my dad are both from Jamaica as well. I have got good heritage from there,” Anthony told the Beautiful Game Podcast.

    “It would be an honour to represent either.  One of my team-mates, Jamal Lowe, plays for Jamaica. He’s always saying you need to come!

    “I have only been playing professional football for two years. I don’t want to rush any decisions. We will see what happens.”

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

    I’m ready now – Whisper

  • Xhaka in shirt controversy as Switzerland advance Xhaka in shirt controversy as Switzerland advance

    Granit Xhaka found himself at the centre of another controversy involving Serbia after donning a shirt with 'Jashari' on the back following Switzerland’s 3-2 win in Doha on Friday.

    Xhaka produced a man of the match display as the Swiss hit back from 2-1 down to secure second place in Group G and advance to a last-16 clash with Portugal on Tuesday.

    But his actions after the final whistle could attract the attention of FIFA.

    In the post-match celebrations, Xhaka put on a shirt carrying the name 'Jashari'. Asked afterwards what it meant, the Arsenal midfielder claimed it was for Switzerland squad member Ardon Jashari.

    However, the name carries significance in other ways with Adem Jashari a late founder of the Kosovo Liberation Army, a Kosovo Albanian separatist group that fought for independence from the former Yugoslavia.

    Xhaka is of ethnic Albanian heritage linked to Kosovo, which declared independence in 2008 but has not been recognised by Serbia. 

    Asked about the shirt afterwards, Xhaka said: "There’s no political background to it whatsoever.

    "Ardon is part of our squad and we spend a lot of time together. I told him if we won I would wear his shirt."

    Xhaka was a key figure throughout a feisty encounter. He also prompted a second-half melee that saw the Serbia bench encroach on to the pitch after making a crude gesture, thought to be in the direction of substitute goalkeeper Predrag Rajkovic, whose personal life has been the subject of speculation this week.

    Switzerland boss Murat Yakin said he will "wait and see" if action is taken against Xhaka.

    "We will enjoy this moment, it cost us a lot of emotions and energy. It was a fair match," he said.

    "Before the game a lot of people were talking about the situation but we were able to face that challenge.

    "We are happy we are moving on. Everything else is speculation and we will wait and see."

    On the incident involving Rajkovic, Yakin added: "What I saw was a Granit Xhaka who was focused fully on football and performed very well. I saw the players from Serbia crossing the line, and others trying to calm them down. It was a normal exchange."

    It is not the first time Xhaka has been embroiled in controversy against Serbia. At the 2018 World Cup in Russia, he and Xherdan Shaqiri were fined after crossing their hands to mimic the eagle displayed on the Albanian flag in Switzerland’s 2-1 win.

    Shaqiri also played his part in Switzerland's victory here, scoring the opening goal at Stadium 974, but appeared annoyed to be taken off after 69 minutes.

    "No-one likes to be subbed," Yakin said. "Every player wants to play the whole game, but it’s part of my responsibility to protect players. He scored his goal and had a great assist.

    "The substitutes brought great energy and I thought they did well."

    The flashpoints overshadowed a wonderful game with Switzerland’s greater composure at key moments proving decisive.

    Serbia coach Dragan Stojkovic praised his players but lamented the fact so many were struggling for fitness throughout their time in Qatar. He also insisted he had no intention of resigning.

    He said: "We are not happy with the result but, given the problems we faced from our arrival here and the injuries we had to contend with, it was too much for us to cope with.

    "The guys put up a fight but at this level that is not enough.

    "As for my future, in March we start the qualifiers for the European Championship and we have a great desire to qualify."

    Stojkovic claimed not to hear any of the chants that prompted an announcement over the public address system asking fans to refrain from discriminatory songs or gestures, thought to originate from sections housing Serbian supporters.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.