'It had never happened to me' - Inzaghi bemused by penalty call in Bayern defeat

By Sports Desk November 01, 2022

Inter head coach Simone Inzaghi was surprised by the referee's decision to decline their first-half penalty shout for a Sadio Mane handball in Tuesday's 2-0 Champions League loss to Bayern Munich.

The Nerazzurri were denied a penalty in the 10th minute despite referee Ivan Kruzliak consulting VAR when Mane appeared to raise his arms to block Nicolo Barella's goal-bound shot.

Despite Inter's early pressure, Bayern took the lead from Benjamin Pavard's 32nd-minute header, before Eric Maxim Choupo-Mating settled the points with a long-range 72nd-minute strike.

The match had no consequence on placings in Group C, with both sides already locked in for the last-16, but Inzaghi was still surprised by the referee's call on the Mane handball.

"The penalty? It had never happened to me that a referee recalled by the VAR turned it down," Inzaghi said.

Despite that, Inzaghi was delighted with his side for progressing in a group featuring Spanish giants Barcelona, who finished third.

"We've progressed from a difficult group, achieving something that makes us really happy," he said.

"This evening, we played well against a really strong side. We had a few chances to take the lead, and there was also the penalty that wasn't given.

"We were then punished for our first lapse in concentration. However, the team did well. We were able to rotate the squad, which is something we got out of it."

Inzaghi said the Nerazzurri would quickly turn their focus back to Serie A, with three games prior to the World Cup break, starting with a tough trip to Juventus on Sunday.

The 2021 Italian champions are currently sixth in Serie A, eight points behind leaders Napoli, but in the midst of a four-game winning streak.

"We fought hard for this qualification and will see what happens in February to enjoy the tournament, but for now we need to focus on Serie A," Inzaghi said.

"We are coming off four consecutive victories, but we dropped a lot of points early, we know that the fixture list is not simple for us until the break, but we must try to do the maximum."

Related items

  • Montero hails Juventus fight as stunning comeback denies Bologna Montero hails Juventus fight as stunning comeback denies Bologna

    Interim Juventus boss Paolo Montero praised his players' fight after they recovered from 3-0 down in the final 14 minutes to claim a 3-3 draw against Bologna in Serie A on Monday.

    Juventus sacked Massimiliano Allegri last week in the aftermath of their Coppa Italia final victory over Atalanta, citing his fiery behaviour as a major factor in their decision.

    On Monday, they came up against the man tipped to replace him in Bologna coach Thiago Motta, who saw his team race into a 3-0 lead within 53 minutes.

    However, Federico Chiesa's 76th-minute effort kickstarted a stunning turnaround, with Arkadiusz Milik's free-kick soon after teeing up a grandstand finale.

    Kenan Yildiz then scored an 84th-minute equaliser as the Bianconeri avoided defeat after trailing by three goals for the first time in their Serie A history.

    While they have drawn each of their last six league games and could slip outside the top four on the final matchday, Montero believes they deserve credit for their efforts.

    "In my view, the draw was the fair result," Montero told DAZN.

    "The victory on Wednesday was important, mentally it drained them and to come here against one of the best teams at the moment like Bologna, you are going to struggle.

    "After that dip in mentality, they fought back with pride and showed how much they care about the shirt."

  • Sargent earns recall as Pulisic, Balogun and Adams headline USA's preliminary Copa America squad Sargent earns recall as Pulisic, Balogun and Adams headline USA's preliminary Copa America squad

    United States coach Gregg Berhalter has named a 27-man preliminary squad ahead of the Copa America.

    Josh Sargent, the Norwich City forward, has earned a recall to the USA squad for the upcoming friendlies against Brazil and Colombia, and is set to feature for his country for the first time since 2022.

    With first-choice right-back Sergino Dest injured, meanwhile, Berhalter has turned to Nashville SC's Shaq Moore in defence.

    Christian Pulisic, Tyler Adams, Matt Turner, Weston McKennie and Brendan Aaronson are among the established names to feature.

    Former Arsenal forward Folarin Balogun, who opted to represent the USA rather than England, has also made the cut, as has Coventry City's Haji Wright, who has had a strong season in England's second tier.

    Berhalter explained Sargent had been called up to give him another option in attack, with Wright seen primarily as a wide option.

    "Between their club form and what they've done for the national team in the past, we think it's a talented group of strikers," he said.

    Giovanni Reyna, the 21-year-old Borussia Dortmund attacker who has been on loan at Nottingham Forest since January, has also been included, despite a feud between Berhalter and the playmaker's family in the wake of the World Cup.

    Antonee Robinson has had another impressive season with Fulham, and has been called up alongside club-mate Tim Ream.

    Former Manchester City goalkeeper Zack Steffen was a notable omission, as were MLS stars Jesus Ferreira and Jordan Morris.

    "This summer presents an opportunity for us to progress and grow as a team as we continue to build towards the 2026 FIFA World Cup," Berhalter said.

    "We have a talented group of players and are excited about the opportunity to compete against some of the best teams in the world."

    Berhalter will cut down his squad after the friendlies, with Copa hosts USA taking on Uruguay, Paraguay and Bolivia in Group C.

  • Sargent earns recall as Pulisc, Balogun and Adams headline USA's preliminary Copa America squad Sargent earns recall as Pulisc, Balogun and Adams headline USA's preliminary Copa America squad

    United States coach Gregg Berhalter has named a 27-man preliminary squad ahead of the Copa America.

    Josh Sargent, the Norwich City forward, has earned a recall to the USA squad for the upcoming friendlies against Brazil and Colombia, and is set to feature for his country for the first time since 2022.

    With first-choice right-back Sergino Dest injured, meanwhile, Berhalter has turned to Nashville SC's Shaq Moore in defence.

    Christian Pulisic, Tyler Adams, Matt Turner, Weston McKennie and Brendan Aaronson are among the established names to feature.

    Former Arsenal forward Folarin Balogun, who opted to represent the USA rather than England, has also made the cut, as has Coventry City's Haji Wright, who has had a strong season in England's second tier.

    Berhalter explained Sargent had been called up to give him another option in attack, with Wright seen primarily as a wide option.

    "Between their club form and what they've done for the national team in the past, we think it's a talented group of strikers," he said.

    Giovanni Reyna, the 21-year-old Borussia Dortmund attacker who has been on loan at Nottingham Forest since January, has also been included, despite a feud between Berhalter and the playmaker's family in the wake of the World Cup.

    Antonee Robinson has had another impressive season with Fulham, and has been called up alongside club-mate Tim Ream.

    Former Manchester City goalkeeper Zack Steffen was a notable omission, as were MLS stars Jesus Ferreira and Jordan Morris.

    "This summer presents an opportunity for us to progress and grow as a team as we continue to build towards the 2026 FIFA World Cup," Berhalter said.

    "We have a talented group of players and are excited about the opportunity to compete against some of the best teams in the world."

    Berhalter will cut down his squad after the friendlies, with Copa hosts USA taking on Uruguay, Paraguay and Bolivia in Group C.

© 2023 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.