Nagelsmann has 'full backing of Bayern' as Salihamidzic expects return to form

By Sports Desk September 24, 2022

Julian Nagelsmann will turn around Bayern Munich's form after the international break and has the club's "full backing", sporting director Hasan Salihamidzic has pledged.

A run of three draws in the Bundesliga for Bayern was followed by a 1-0 defeat to Augsburg before many of Nagelsmann's players headed off on national team duty.

Bayern sit fifth after seven rounds of games, five points adrift of early pace-setters Union Berlin, and they face Bayer Leverkusen next.

Leverkusen have made a much worse start than Bayern, with the team that finished third in the Bundesliga last season winning just once so far this term.

But almost all the focus is on Bayern, who have won the last 10 Bundesliga titles, and Salihamidzic has admitted the early form is a concern, but something that can be resolved.

Salihamidzic told the Bild am Sonntag newspaper: "Julian is very clear. He and his team of coaches know exactly what to do.

"Above all, Julian knows that he has the full backing of FC Bayern, that doesn't have to be emphasised again and again."

Bayern's shot conversion rate in the Bundesliga has dipped from 14.41 per cent last season to 11.8 per cent this term, and it would be easy to point to the sale of Robert Lewandowski to Barcelona and suggest that has been a factor.

It might well be; however, there are signs that Bayern are doing plenty right.

 

They have already hit the woodwork seven times in seven games, three times more than any other side, which suggests they have been unfortunate. Over 34 games last season, they hit the woodwork 21 times.

Their goal tally is closely tracking their expected goals (xG) score, and both being league highs can be interpreted as another healthy sign. Bayern have netted 19 from an xG of 17.48, so they are exceeding expectations, based on the quality of chances they have had, over the course of the seven games. Last season they finished with 97 league goals from xG of 96.67.

A worrying sign is that Bayern have twice conceded a goal when an error has been committed, having done so only three times in the 2021-22 campaign.

 

Salihamidzic said Bayern chiefs had spoken to Nagelsmann about "all aspects" of the opening weeks of the season, including the encouraging Champions League group wins over Inter and Barcelona.

What is clear is that Bayern expect greater tenacity from the team after the disappointing derby effort against Augsburg.

"We will appear differently after the international break. And I expect that too," Salihamidzic said. "Physical intensity, greed and the willingness to push yourself to the limit in every game are the prerequisites for success."

Related items

  • Real Madrid 3-1 Atletico Madrid (aet): Superb Rodrygo goal sparks Copa del Rey turnaround Real Madrid 3-1 Atletico Madrid (aet): Superb Rodrygo goal sparks Copa del Rey turnaround

    Real Madrid needed extra-time to seal a dramatic Copa del Rey comeback as they downed rivals Atletico Madrid with a 3-1 quarter-final victory on Thursday.

    Los Blancos were heading out at the Santiago Bernabeu after their former striker Alvaro Morata had struck in the first half for Atletico.

    But Rodrygo's fantastic solo effort forced an extra half-hour in the Spanish capital, before Karim Benzema and Vinicius Junior completed the turnaround for the hosts.

    Carlo Ancelotti's side join Barcelona, Athletic Bilbao and Osasuna in the semi-finals, but Diego Simeone's visitors will rue missing out on the last four.

    Despite an early command of the game, it was the hosts who went behind in the 19th minute when Morata tapped in Nahuel Molina's square ball from close-range.

    Madrid blew a big chance to level matters on the half-hour mark when Eder Militao was caught off-guard by a free-kick delivery and botched a simple header.

    Matters went from bad to worse for Ancelotti's side too after they were forced into a substitution before the break thanks to an injury to Ferland Mendy.

    Los Blancos were forced to wait for much of the game to find their response, but their patience paid off in the 79th minute when Rodrygo skipped past four Atletico players before prodding past Jan Oblak at his near post.

    Tempers started to fray between both rivals in extra-time, with Stefan Savic dismissed in the 99th minute after two yellow cards in quick succession.

    Gifted a man advantage, Madrid seized the chance with Benzema able to guide Vinicius' rushed effort in past Oblak, before the Brazilian signed off the game with a finish of his own, tucked away after a fine run in off the left wing.

  • Kolo Toure lasts less than two months at Wigan Athletic Kolo Toure lasts less than two months at Wigan Athletic

    Kolo Toure has been sacked by Wigan Athletic less than two months after taking charge of the Championship club.

    Toure, the former Arsenal, Manchester City and Liverpool defender, was appointed Wigan manager on November 29. It was his first job in management.

    However, the 41-year-old was sacked on Thursday after just 59 days having failed to win any of his nine games in charge.

    Toure's Wigan lost six of those fixtures and sit bottom of the Championship with 25 points from 28 matches.

    The Latics' chief executive Malachy Brannigan said: "Firstly, I'd like to thank Kolo [for his] efforts during [his] time at the football club. 

    "Unfortunately, the results on the field have not been as we would have liked and as tough a decision as this was, the Board felt it necessary to give us the best possible chance of remaining a Championship club next season."

  • Lyon president vows Gusto will stay despite Chelsea interest Lyon president vows Gusto will stay despite Chelsea interest

    Malo Gusto will remain at Lyon despite interest from Chelsea, with club president Jean-Michel Aulas claiming the right-back will stay in Ligue 1.

    The youngster has been linked with a switch to the Premier League heavyweights, who have presided over a high-spending January transfer window.

    France youth international Gusto is the latest to be touted for a move, and has reportedly already agreed personal terms on a six-and-a-half-year deal.

    But reports also said Lyon knocked back a £17.6million (€20m) offer from the Blues on Wednesday, and Aulas has claimed the 19-year-old will not be going anywhere this month.

    "I have the pleasure to explain that Malo Gusto, one of Lyon's big talents, will continue to play for Lyon until at least June 30," he wrote on Twitter.

    Gusto is out of contract at the end of next season with the Ligue 1 outfit, who currently ninth with just one win from their last five top-flight matches.

    The club reportedly value him closer to £35m (€40m) and may well be playing hardball in order to convince Chelsea to either up their offer or wait for the end of the campaign.

    With 47 appearances for his hometown club, Gusto is already knocking at the door of the France senior team under Didier Deschamps.

    If he was to move to Chelsea, he would become their seventh arrival of the transfer window, and second from Ligue 1 after Monaco defender Benoit Badiashile.

    David Datro Fofana, Andrey Santos, Mykhaylo Mudryk and Noni Madueke are the other permanent arrivals at Stamford Bridge, while Joao Felix also joined on loan from Atletico Madrid.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.