EPL

France's Kamara a major doubt for World Cup with knee ligament damage

By Sports Desk September 23, 2022

Boubacar Kamara's hopes of making France's World Cup squad have been severely dented after Aston Villa confirmed the versatile midfielder has suffered knee ligament damage.

Kamara limped off the field during the first half of last week's 1-0 loss to Southampton and was forced to withdraw from France's squad for their games with Austria and Denmark.

Villa provided an update on the injury on their official website on Friday, though they did not offer a timeline for his recovery.

According to French outlet L'Equipe, Kamara – who joined Villa on a free transfer from Marseille in the recent window – is expected to face two months on the sidelines.

Should that be the case, the 22-year-old is almost certain to miss out on the France squad for the World Cup, which begins on November 20.

Kamara has been capped three times by France since earning his first call-up at the end of last season.

Villa are also awaiting news on the injury sustained by full-back Lucas Digne while away on international duty with Didier Deschamps' side.

Related items

  • Nagelsmann hints at changes as depleted Bayern prepare to host Viktoria Plzen Nagelsmann hints at changes as depleted Bayern prepare to host Viktoria Plzen

    Julian Nagelsmann may shuffle his pack for Bayern Munich's Champions League game against Viktoria Plzen on Tuesday, with the depleted Bavarians set to host Borussia Dortmund four days later.

    Bayern have started their Champions League campaign with back-to-back wins over Inter and Barcelona, and lead the duo by three points at the top of Group C.

    Should they record another European win at the Allianz Arena next time out, Bayern will have won their first three Champions League matches for a fourth season in succession.

    On the domestic stage, however, Bayern trail surprise pace-setters Union Berlin and Freiburg after an inconsistent run of results, and host rivals Dortmund on Saturday.

    With Thomas Muller and Joshua Kimmich set to miss the Plzen match after contracting COVID-19, Nagelsmann is aware of the need to manage his squad.

    "We need to rotate because of Joshua and Thomas, so there are different ways, there are so many options," Nagelsmann said at his pre-match press conference.

    "You'll see tomorrow which I decide. We're still in a situation where we need to grab points. 

    "It's important for the Champions League to win the game against Plzen, and also to keep the rhythm for the game against Dortmund, where there might be more pressure than in the Champions League.

    "Plzen like to play defensively and counter-attack, and that could be a challenge. We'll try to get into our optimum phase considering what is still ahead."

    Bayern have been heavily impacted by COVID-19 recently, with Manuel Neuer and Leon Goretzka withdrawing from the Germany squad after contracting the virus last month.

    Nagelsmann offered a positive update on the conditions of Muller and Kimmich, and hopes to have them back after Tuesday's match, adding: "Thomas and Joshua don't have any symptoms, they're doing well. Of course, they would love to play, but nothing has changed.

    "We can do the tests on Friday and if those go well, they are candidates against Dortmund. It depends on the tests we will do.

    "In general, the incidence is high in Munich so it's a factor that concerns us. We've talked with the players. 

    "They've had the suggestion that they're not going to go to the Oktoberfest since the officials took part, so no partying there!

    "Outside of the pitch, professional players are normal people. Everybody's looking after themselves."

    Nagelsmann also revealed Kingsley Coman will not feature against Plzen despite recovering from a muscle injury, but said Serge Gnabry had his full support if selected to start out wide.

    "First of all, with Kingsley, he is doing well," Nagelsmann said. "He practiced well, he was great, but he's not going to be a part of tomorrow's game.

    "We'll try to heighten that [his condition] in the next couple of days and then he's an option against Dortmund, but he's not going to start, that's for sure.

    "He is doing well. I have good expectations that he can fill a position in the squad against Dortmund, it would be great to have him, and not so great for the opponent.

    "I haven't decided 100 per cent, but Serge is certainly a candidate there. We have to see also what we will do against Dortmund, and what happens with Thomas.

    "I've known Serge for ages and I think a lot of him. He doesn't worry too much on the field and plays freely. We have a good connection with each other."

  • Saliba reveals Arsenal contract talks following strong start to Premier League season Saliba reveals Arsenal contract talks following strong start to Premier League season

    Arsenal defender William Saliba has revealed he is in talks over a new contract at the Emirates Stadium after making a fine start to the season.

    Having returned from a loan spell at Marseille ahead of the 2022-23 campaign, Saliba has started all eight of Arsenal's Premier League games this season, seven of which have ended in victory.

    Saliba has formed a fearsome defensive partnership with Gabriel Magalhaes during Arsenal's best start to a Premier League campaign since 2007-08 – when they went on to finish third after taking 22 points from their first eight matches.

    The France international's current deal runs until 2024, and he is hopeful of reaching an agreement to extend his stay.

    Asked whether he could agree fresh terms after impressing in Saturday's 3-1 derby win over Tottenham, Saliba said: "Yeah, we will see. They [the club and his representatives] talk a little bit."

    Saliba believes Arsenal are growing in confidence with each victory, adding: "You have to wait every time and I waited a long time for my first North London Derby. I enjoyed it from the first minute to the end, and now I am so happy. 

    "We are so happy to win at home against Tottenham. It was a hard game, but we were focused all the game. We deserve this win.

    "We play against the best players in the world. It is good for young players like me, and I learn a lot.

    "The more we win, the more we are confident. We want every week to win, to win, to win — and that's it."

    Arsenal goalkeeper Aaron Ramsdale has watched Saliba's development from close quarters in the season's early weeks, and has described him as a "Rolls-Royce" of a defender. 

    "He has fit in really well," Ramsdale said. "It is a credit to him that he has been put straight into the team. He is a bit of a Rolls-Royce with the way he moves, and he has never seemed fazed.

    "He is still a young boy so still makes mistakes, so at the minute it is either Ben [White], myself, Gabriel or Thomas Partey digging him out and he is digging other people out as well.

    "That is the main thing at the minute, our mistakes aren't leading to too many things and that is the sign of a team who have good characters in and around that back five."

  • Ancelotti claims Madrid 'deserved to win' against Osasuna and defends Hazard call Ancelotti claims Madrid 'deserved to win' against Osasuna and defends Hazard call

    Carlo Ancelotti believes Real Madrid "deserved" to beat Osasuna in Sunday's draw, but called for a reaction from his players as he defended his decision to keep Eden Hazard benched.

    The Belgium international was a spectator as Los Blancos slipped to a 1-1 draw against their visitors, with Karim Benzema fluffing a potential match-winning penalty to ensure the spoils were shared.

    The club's first dropped points of the domestic season saw them surrender top spot to rivals Barcelona, with the pair's Clasico encounter – which takes place in just under a fortnight – set to represent a huge moment in the title race.

    Speaking after Sunday's stalemate, Ancelotti acknowledged his team's frustrations after they dominated for long periods, but added that he anticipates a response.

    "This team is upset when it doesn't win," he stated. "The game was under our control and we deserved to win. 

    "We're not happy and that's the reason why this side won a lot last year. We're not happy with the draw and we will react soon. 

    "We shouldn't be making excuses about the [international] break. We need to manage the break. We've got a very good squad."

    Mariano Diaz was preferred to Hazard when Ancelotti required attacking reinforcements in the second half, and the Italian was succinct in his reasoning for the Belgian's absence.

    "It was a game that needed a strong centre forward who was good in the air like Mariano, who had chances to score with his head," he added. "It wasn't the right match for Hazard’s qualities."

    Meanwhile, Thibaut Courtois missed the game through a case of sciatica, but Ancelotti is hopeful he could return as soon as the club's midweek Champions League encounter with Shakhtar Donetsk.

    "He's got some tests and we'll see if he can get back," he stated. "It's a muscular issue, I think it's with the sciatic nerve. We'll find out if he can play on Wednesday."

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.