EPL

Fernandes has no issues playing with Man Utd and Portugal team-mate Ronaldo

By Sports Desk September 20, 2022

Bruno Fernandes has refuted suggestions he and Cristiano Ronaldo cannot play together effectively, as the Manchester United duo prepare to link up for Portugal in the international break. 

Both Fernandes and Ronaldo have been named in Fernando Santos' squad for Nations League fixtures against the Czech Republic and Spain this month.

While Fernandes has been an ever-present for United at the start of their Premier League campaign, Ronaldo has not started a league game since a 4-0 defeat at Brentford last month, and is yet to find the net on the domestic front this season.

United have won four consecutive league games with Ronaldo on the bench, and the legendary forward's 2021 transfer from Juventus led to a significant drop-off in Fernandes' attacking output.

Fernandes scored 18 Premier League goals and provided 12 assists during his final full season before Ronaldo's arrival, but managed just 10 goals and six assists last term.

However, the midfielder does not believe Ronaldo's presence has inhibited him, telling the Athletic: "Most of my assists last season were for him, so I don't think [it is fair].

"I just had a poor season in terms of my own numbers. I don't think it is about Cristiano or myself.

"I don't think it is because of Cristiano, it is because I didn't do the best myself in some moments to get goals or assists.

"In the national team, I play with him and when I score, he is on the pitch. To play with Cristiano as a number 10 is actually really good because players respect Cristiano so much that it creates more space, as the opponents are afraid of him taking the ball and scoring.

"I played the last four Premier League games without Cristiano starting and I scored only one goal. So it is not because of Cristiano.

"Obviously he can be really good to play together with, for someone who gives assists, as if you give him the right ball, he will score goals."

Portugal sit one point behind Spain at the top of Nations League Group A2 ahead of their final two matches of the campaign, as the 2018-19 champions bid for a return to the competition's finals. 

Related items

  • 'It seems like he's playing against kids!' – Kaka in awe of Man City's majestic Haaland 'It seems like he's playing against kids!' – Kaka in awe of Man City's majestic Haaland

    Erling Haaland's stunning form for Manchester City makes it appear as if he is playing against children, so says Kaka.

    Haaland netted twice in the first half of City's Champions League 5-0 rout of Copenhagen on Wednesday, before he was taken off at the interval by Pep Guardiola.

    It takes Haaland to 19 goals across all competitions in just 12 appearances this season, with the 22-year-old displaying a thoroughly ruthless intent up front.

    Kaka, a Ballon d'Or winner in 2007, believes Haaland is playing at a different level to most players, like a proverbial big kid in the playground.

    "It is incredible what this guy is doing," Kaka said in his capacity as a pundit on beIN SPORTS. "It seems like he's playing against kids!

    "I think he can break all the records. What he's [been] doing [since] the start of the season, it is unbelievable. Congratulations to him. He's ready to play in the top level, like the Premier League.

    "He played in the Bundesliga, at a high level as well. But this level in the Premier League and Champions League, it is not easy to score the number of goals he [has].

    "It is nice for us to see a forward and a player like him. It is enjoyable. We enjoy it a lot, to see this kind of player."

    Haaland has scored 28 goals in 22 appearances in the UEFA Champions League, a goals-per-game record of 1.27; there are 98 teams with a worse goals per game record than him in the competition.

    He is also the third player to score in each of his first three Champions League appearances for an English club, after Marouane Chamakh for Arsenal and Ferran Torres for City.

    Kaka's fellow pundit Ruud Gullit concurred with his assessment, stating his belief that the marriage of Haaland and City was the correct choice to strengthen both parties.

    "I think he went to the right team," he added. "With the way they attack, the way they are in the box, because he doesn't want to run a lot. He just wants to be in the box.

    "With his height, he wins the headers. It's almost [like he is] a mixture of three [different] players, or something like that. He is unbelievably quick.

    "[He is] exceptional. [Lionel] Messi was a freak of nature, but this guy is as well. He is unbelievable."

  • Alonso accepts Leverkusen 'risk' but feels ready for new challenge Alonso accepts Leverkusen 'risk' but feels ready for new challenge

    Xabi Alonso accepts he is taking a "risk" after being appointed as Bayer Leverkusen head coach, but felt the time was right to make the move into senior management.

    The 40-year-old former Liverpool, Real Madrid and Bayern Munich midfielder was announced as Gerardo Seoane's replacement on Wednesday.

    Alonso coached Real Sociedad B for three years before departing in May and previously spent time working in Madrid's youth system.

    The Leverkusen job presents a new challenge for Alonso, who inherits a side sitting 17th in the Bundesliga and third in their Champions League group after three games.

    "There is of course always a risk," Alonso said at his unveiling press conference on Thursday ahead of this weekend's visit of Schalke.

    "But you have to always improve and take steps forward. I firmly believe that it will work out here and I am fully motivated.

    "Even as a player, I always wanted to take the right steps. I had the chance to coach good teams. But I felt I needed more time. Now I've realised that I'm ready."

    Alonso confirmed "there have been inquiries" from teams in Spain but he was eager to return to Germany, where he won three Bundesliga titles in three seasons with Bayern.

    "For me, things stay in my head that I feel good about from my time at Bayern," he said. "I already know about the German mentality, so that will help.

    "Being here is very important for me. It's a great honour. After five years I must have forgotten some German, but I'll try my best to remember." 

    Leverkusen parted company with Seoane on the back of Tuesday's 2-0 loss to Porto, which followed a 4-0 league defeat to Bayern.

    They have finished in the top six in each of the past five seasons but are inside the relegation zone with eight games played this term.

    "These players have shown great quality in recent years. They should start to enjoy playing again and that way the fans will too," Alonso said.

    "I've kept following the Bundesliga and the teams have gotten better. That means I had to feel even more ready. There are a lot of good coaches in this division.

    "I'm hoping I can mix up the play. As a former midfielder, I like control. I want to create a winning mentality here."

  • Man City defender Walker undergoes surgery with World Cup prospects in doubt Man City defender Walker undergoes surgery with World Cup prospects in doubt

    Manchester City defender Kyle Walker has undergone surgery after suffering a groin injury in the derby win against Manchester United.

    The 32-year-old was substituted in the first half of City's 6-3 Premier League victory at the Etihad Stadium on Sunday.

    Manager Pep Guardiola said after Wednesday's Champions League win against Copenhagen that the right-back would be out for "weeks".

    That appeared to put Walker's availability for England's World Cup campaign in doubt, and news of an operation may not soothe national boss Gareth Southgate's concerns.

    Guardiola said on Wednesday the problem was "something abdominal", with City clarifying on Thursday it was "a groin injury to his left leg".

    "The surgery was successful and a more detailed prognosis will be provided in due course," a City statement read. "Everyone at Manchester City wishes Kyle a speedy recovery."

    Walker posted a message on social media from his hospital bed, stating: "As players we have to appreciate injuries are part and parcel of the game we love.

    "My operation was a success and now I can concentrate on my rehab and getting back to full fitness. I will be supporting my team-mates every day in any way I can."

    Walker's absence is a blow to both club and country, having started seven of City's eight Premier League games this term and four of England's Nations League matches since June.

    City have 10 matches in all competitions before the season pauses for the World Cup in Qatar, where England commence their campaign on November 21 against Iran.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.