Eintracht Frankfurt condemn alleged Nazi salute as first Champions League win marred by crowd trouble

By Sports Desk September 13, 2022

Eintracht Frankfurt have condemned an alleged Nazi salute from a supporter during their 1-0 win at Marseille, with the club's first Champions League win overshadowed by crowd trouble.

Jesper Lindstrom's first-half goal guided Eintracht to their first Champions League victory, extending their unbeaten away run in Europe to seven matches.

However, what should have been a momentous night for Oliver Glasner's team was marred by off-pitch events, with social media footage seemingly showing the two sets of fans aiming fireworks at one another in the stands.

Further footage appeared to show a supporter making a Nazi salute within the stadium, leading the club to respond in the aftermath of their victory.

An Eintracht statement read: "The club dissociates itself completely and utterly from the one isolated incident that occurred during the run-up to the UEFA Champions League match between Olympique de Marseille and Eintracht Frankfurt, where a gesture resembling a Nazi salute was made. 

"Anti-Semitic ideas are totally opposed to the club's categoric and immutable values and roots.

"The person who can be seen on the video and who has yet to be identified reported of their own accord to the Eintracht Frankfurt fan representatives during the first half of the match and emphatically denies the accusation of anti-Semitic motives. 

"Eintracht Frankfurt will be conducting a detailed investigation of the events and the behaviour of the person involved."

Asked about the unsavoury scenes after the match, Eintracht coach Glasner said: "I focus on the sporting aspect, my role is sport. But I believe that these idiots do not belong to football, nor to the world.

"We all agree that they should not be given too much importance. I prefer to talk about football. This aggressiveness is not just a football problem, it is a general problem today."

Related items

  • World Cup chief says 'improvements have to happen' after death of '400 to 500' workers World Cup chief says 'improvements have to happen' after death of '400 to 500' workers

    World Cup chief Hassan Al-Thawadi admits "improvements have to happen" after estimating "between 400 and 500" migrant workers died working on projects related to Qatar 2022.

    The awarding of the competition to the Gulf state in 2010 has only grown more controversial in the years since due to its chequered past on human rights issues, its treatment of migrant workers and the illegality of homosexuality.

    The official count for those to have died on World Cup sites is 37 among non-work related deaths and three from work-related accidents. However, it was reported by The Guardian last year the overall figure may surpass 6,500 deaths.

    FIFA has constantly reiterated it is fully committed to protecting the rights of workers on projects such as constructing stadia, while president Gianni Infantino launched an impassioned defence on the eve of the competition.

    While the actual death figure is unknown, Al-Thawadi – who was responsible for ensuring infrastructure and development projects were delivered in readiness for Qatar 2022 – accepts it is a lot higher than the 40 previously reported.

    "The estimate is around 400, between 400 and 500," he told Piers Morgan in an interview with TalkTV. "I don't have the exact number; that's something that's been discussed. One death is a death too many, plain and simple.

    "I think every year the health and safety standards on the sites are improving, at least on our sites. The World Cup sites that we were responsible for, most definitely to the extent that you've got trade unions commending the work that's been done on the World Cup sites and the improvements."

    When asked directly if the health and safety standards were good enough at the beginning of the project, Al-Thawadi said: "I think overall the need for labour reform itself dictates that yes, improvements have to happen.

    "Just so we're clear, this was something we recognised before we bid. The improvements that have already happened aren't because of the World Cup. These are improvements we knew that we had to do because of our own values.

    "Improvements that had to happen whether it's our health and safety standards, whether it's in terms of improving the accommodation standards, whether it's in terms of dismantling the Kafala System.

    "The World Cup served as a vehicle, an accelerator, as a catalyst because of the spotlight which we recognised early on was going to be shed. It caused a lot of initiative not only in terms of improvement in isolation but in terms of enforcing it as well. 

    "That's where today we got to a position where our most ardent of critics consider us to be a benchmark in the region."

    Al-Thawadi addressed a number of other issues in the interview, such as whether Qatar is a safe place for people in same-sex relationships to visit.

    "It's safe for everybody to be in Qatar, yes. Unequivocally, Piers, yes. I think it's safe for everybody to live in Qatar, Piers. From our position, and my personal position, we've always said everyone's welcome.

    "We've worked hard to create an environment and to ensure that people from all parts of the world, all walks of life come into Qatar, engage and interact with people from the Arab world and the Middle East even though we might not see eye to eye on certain things, even though we might not agree on certain things, but everyone is welcome."

  • Former Arsenal and Man City defender Toure announced as new Wigan manager Former Arsenal and Man City defender Toure announced as new Wigan manager

    Kolo Toure has been announced as Wigan Athletic's new manager, with the former Arsenal and Manchester City defender joining on a contract through to June 2026.

    The ex-Ivory Coast international departs Leicester City, where he was a first team coach under Brendan Rodgers, to take charge at the struggling Championship outfit.

    Wigan, who are currently 22nd and embroiled in a relegation battle, dismissed Leam Richardson after six losses in seven games earlier this month, just weeks after he signed a new contract.

    "We are delighted that Kolo has become the new manager of Wigan Athletic," chief executive Malachy Brannigan issued in a statement.

    "From the earliest of conversations we had with Kolo, it was evident to us that he had instantly bought into the values of the club. We look forward to working closely with Kolo and his team."

    Toure, a two-time Premier League winner during his playing days with Arsenal and City, will take charge of his first match on December 10 against Millwall.

  • Croatia facing FIFA charge following fans' 'primitive' abuse of Canada's Serb goalkeeper Croatia facing FIFA charge following fans' 'primitive' abuse of Canada's Serb goalkeeper

    Croatia are the subject of disciplinary proceedings after Canada goalkeeper Milan Borjan was targeted by supporters during their World Cup match last week.

    FIFA opened proceedings on Tuesday "due to the behaviour of [Croatia's] fans".

    Borjan is an ethnic Serb who was born in Knin in Croatia but fled with his family to Belgrade in 1995 during 'Operation Storm' – a Croatian offensive in its war of independence.

    He later moved on to Canada, the country he represents at international level, but has spent much of his club career in Serbia, where he now plays for Red Star Belgrade.

    During Croatia's 4-1 win over Canada, Borjan was the subject of a flag in the stands that read "Knin '95 – nothing runs like Borjan". Offensive chants were also reported to be aimed in his direction.

    "I have nothing to comment on that, it only speaks about them," Borjan said after the game.

    "I heard that they shouted and insulted me. This shows that they are primitives and should work on themselves and their families, because they obviously have some frustration, so they come here to vent it."

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.