Casemiro hopes 'winner' Ronaldo stays at Man Utd

By Sports Desk August 26, 2022

Manchester United new boy Casemiro hopes Cristiano Ronaldo stays at Old Trafford as the Portuguese forward continues to be linked with a move away.

Casemiro was reunited with former Real Madrid team-mate Ronaldo when he completed a £60million (€70m) move to Old Trafford on Monday.

The Brazilian could make his United debut on Saturday when the Red Devils travel to Southampton in the Premier League.

Enforcer Casemiro is the fourth major arrival at United during the transfer window, but manager Erik ten Hag's first few months at the helm have been characterised by constant speculation regarding Ronaldo's future.

Ronaldo reportedly declared his intention to leave United after they missed out on Champions League qualification last season, but many potential suitors – including Bayern Munich and Atletico Madrid – have since ruled out signing the striker, who found the net 24 times in all competitions last term.

Ronaldo's future remains unclear with less than a week remaining in the transfer window, and he was dropped to the bench for United's 2-1 win over Liverpool on Monday – their first victory of the campaign.

Casemiro, however, is convinced of Ronaldo's continued importance, telling ESPN in Brazil: "The illusion of being able to play with him again ... he knows the respect I have for him.

"I hope he stays, because he is a player who gives you leadership, gives you many goals, is a winner and is very important to us.

"As we speak Portuguese too, we got closer. He was a guy who from the first day I arrived here, helped me a lot, gave me advice, is helping me a lot.

"He is a great player, one of the best of all time."

Having posted their lowest points tally (58) and worst defensive record (57 goals conceded) in their Premier League history last term, United will be featuring in the Europa League this season.

Casemiro, a five-time Champions League winner, is desperate to help United back into Europe's premier club competition, but he revealed the opportunity to play for one of the Premier League's biggest clubs was just as important in his considerations as he weighed up a move to United.

"I want to learn, United have always been very affectionate, from the first day, they made me feel comfortable," Casemiro said. "The coach was very attentive, charismatic from day one. They always showed interest. This is very important.

"The Champions League, of course, I want to win, if we don't play [in it], I'll be sad. I want to be there, even for the greatness of the club. But that happens with work and dedication.

"But the club has always shown a lot of affection, as well as Real. The feeling of being in a big club and being able to play in a big league like the Premier League, is very good and very important."

Related items

  • 'Pray for the king' – Mbappe's message as concern grows over Pele health 'Pray for the king' – Mbappe's message as concern grows over Pele health

    Kylian Mbappe and Rivaldo sent messages of support to Brazil legend Pele as the health of the World Cup legend reportedly took a turn for the worse.

    Reports in Brazil said the 82-year-old has been moved to palliative care after a cancer battle.

    The three-time World Cup winner ranks highly among the greatest players of all time, and he underwent surgery to remove a tumour from his colon last year.

    There have been frequent hospital visits since, but reports have now claimed Pele is not responding to chemotherapy treatment and is instead receiving pain-relieving measures in an end-of-life care ward.

    France striker Mbappe, immersed in a World Cup campaign with Les Bleus in Qatar, wrote on Twitter: "Pray for the king."

    Former Brazil number 10 Rivaldo, a World Cup winner in 2002, added: "Strength King @Pele."

    Santos, Pele's former club, said: "It's the whole world wishing for improvement and together with you, King @Pele!"

    Pele was hospitalised earlier this week, though his daughter said on Wednesday there was "no surprise or emergency".

    That was followed by Pele saying it was a "monthly visit" in a post on Instagram.

    However, a report in Folha de Sao Paulo on Saturday said Pele's health situation had changed.

    Rodrygo, a member of Brazil's current World Cup squad, wrote before the news of Pele's deteriorating health was reported: "Strength, King @Pele! Praying and cheering for your recovery!"

    As a 17-year-old, Pele inspired Brazil to their first World Cup triumph in 1958, and he won the tournament with the Selecao twice more, in 1962 and 1970.

  • Pulisic fit to start for United States in Netherlands clash Pulisic fit to start for United States in Netherlands clash

    Christian Pulisic was named in the United States' starting XI for their World Cup round of 16 tie with the Netherlands.

    Pulisic scored the USA's winner against Iran on Tuesday, securing their place in the knockout stage, but was sent to hospital for scans on an abdominal injury.

    On Friday, it was confirmed Pulisic had been cleared to play a part against Louis van Gaal's team at Khalifa International Stadium, and Gregg Berhalter did not hesitate in throwing the Chelsea attacker back in from the off.

    Pulisic has been directly involved in six goals in his past nine appearances for the USA, with four goals and two assists, having a hand in both of their goals so far in the World Cup. 

    Josh Sargent, however, did not make the squad due to an ankle problem, with Jesus Ferreira coming in for his first appearance of the tournament.

    The 21-year-old scored 18 goals in 35 MLS appearances for FC Dallas this past season.

    At 25 years, 84 days, the USA's starting team is the youngest in a World Cup knockout match since Slovakia (24 years, 239 days), also against the Netherlands in 2010.

    Van Gaal, meanwhile, stuck with the same team that started in the 2-0 victory over hosts Qatar last time out.

    That means the in-form Cody Gakpo partners Memphis Depay in a front two – the PSV forward could become the first Netherlands player to score in each of his first four World Cup appearances, with Christian Vieri the last European player to do so in 1998. 

  • Pele reportedly moved to palliative, end-of-life care Pele reportedly moved to palliative, end-of-life care

    Pele has been moved to palliative care, according to reports in Brazil.

    The three-time World Cup winner, regarded among the greatest players of all time, underwent surgery to remove a tumour from his colon last year, and has been in and out of hospital since.

    He was hospitalised earlier this week, though his daughter said on Wednesday there was "no surprise or emergency", with Pele then saying it was a "monthly visit" in a post on Instagram.

    However, a report in Folha de Sao Paulo on Saturday said Pele was no longer responding to chemotherapy treatment and is now receiving pain-relieving measures in a palliative end-of-life care ward.

    The 82-year-old will not be the subject of any invasive treatment or tests.

    As a teenager, Pele inspired Brazil to their first World Cup triumph in 1958 and won the tournament with the Selecao twice more in 1962 and 1970.

    Last week, when Brazil got their 2022 campaign under way, he sent a message of good luck to the squad.

    He wrote on Instagram: "Today we start writing a new story. No matter the size and tradition of the opponents: we must respect and play each match with the focus of a final.

    "It is important to play beautifully, yes, but it is also essential to leave everything on the pitch.

    "Today, we will be more than 200 million hearts beating as one, vibrating with each achievement of our Selecao.

    "I am sending all positive energies to you. I'm sure we'll have a happy ending. God bless you. Bring this trophy home!"

    Brazil won Group G despite rounding off the pool stage with a shock 1-0 defeat to Cameroon following wins over Serbia and Switzerland. They face South Korea in the last 16 on Monday.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.