EPL

Klopp concedes Nunez red card 'not the reaction you want to see' after Liverpool draw with Crystal Palace

By Sports Desk August 15, 2022

Jurgen Klopp has said he will speak with Darwin Nunez after the big-money striker was sent off as Liverpool drew 1-1 with Crystal Palace on Monday. 

The Uruguayan had already endured a frustrating home debut after having five shots with none on target, before seeing red both figuratively and literally just before the hour as he threw his head into Joachim Andersen's face after the Dane shoved him.

Liverpool dominated proceedings at Anfield despite playing more than a third of the game with 10 men, but were frustrated by a resolute Palace side who could have even taken all three points after Wilfried Zaha missed a late chance.

Zaha gave the visitors the lead in the first half after running onto a through ball from Eberechi Eze and placing his finish past Alisson into the far right corner.

Luis Diaz equalised for Liverpool shortly after Nunez's dismissal, beating several players down the left side before cutting inside and smashing a shot into the same corner of the net Zaha had found earlier.

Speaking to Sky Sports after the game, Klopp said Nunez knew he made a mistake, but added he will have to get used to the physicality of defending in the Premier League and react accordingly.

"He knows that now himself [that he made a mistake] and I will talk to him," the Reds boss said. "It doesn't make too much sense that I speak about it in public. It is absolutely not the reaction you want to see. Centre halves in the Premier League will do that to him, he's a handful himself and yeah, that's not the reaction."

Klopp was happier with the contribution of his other South American forward, Diaz, whose goal brought Anfield to life as the hosts tried to force a winner, with Mohamed Salah and substitute Fabio Carvalho both hitting volleys narrowly wide in the closing stages.

"Luis played a super game, especially after the goal, he played like three or four players," Klopp added. "Incredible goal and of course, we needed that, then we had from the edge [of the penalty area] two nice opportunities, one with Fabio, one with Mo, but in the end it's a point."

The German coach was philosophical despite the fact his team still await their first win of the season, and already sit four points behind rivals Manchester City in the Premier League table.

Klopp has a number of players missing through injury, including Ibrahima Konate and Joel Matip, meaning Nat Phillips had to start in defence with Joe Gomez only fit enough for a late cameo from the bench, while Thiago Alcantara, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Diogo Jota and Roberto Firmino are also currently unavailable.

"[A point is] not exactly what we wanted before the game of course but after this game and all the things that happened, we have to take it," he said.

"Honestly, the real feeling I have in the moment is I'm proud. Everything that went against us in the week is crazy, it was like a witch was in the building. Every time somebody else had [injury] problems, and putting in such a performance, especially in the circumstances, I am really proud of that."

Related items

  • Pulisic 'not panicked' by United States form ahead of World Cup Pulisic 'not panicked' by United States form ahead of World Cup

    Christian Pulisic is "not panicked" about the United States' form ahead of the World Cup despite a winless international break.

    In the USA's final warm-up games for Qatar 2022, a poor 2-0 loss to Japan in Dusseldorf was followed by a limp goalless draw with Saudi Arabia in Murcia on Tuesday.

    It means Gregg Berhalter's side will go into the finals with just one victory in their past five matches.

    With Gio Reyna also suffering an injury scare against Saudi Arabia, this was not a successful camp for the United States.

    But captain Pulisic pushed back on concerns around the team's performances, even if he acknowledged the need for improvement in the final third.

    "We had a pretty good first half," the Chelsea forward stated. "I think we had a couple of half-chances where we created some things.

    "But I felt like we lost it a bit at the start of the second half, and they got a little bit of rhythm. We have to do more to figure out what we are going to do to create chances at the end of the day.

    "There are definitely some positives to take from the game, and a clean sheet is always good. I'm not panicked at all.

    "We have a fresh slate going into the World Cup, and we're going to give it everything that we have."

    The USA play Wales, England and Iran in Group B in Qatar.

  • 'Scary' England can win World Cup, says USMNT coach Berhalter 'Scary' England can win World Cup, says USMNT coach Berhalter

    England have the quality to win the World Cup and represent "scary" opponents for the United States, according to coach Gregg Berhalter.

    The USA have been drawn alongside the Three Lions, as well as Wales and Iran, in Group B for this year's finals in Qatar.

    England's two major tournaments under Gareth Southgate have seen them reach a World Cup semi-final in 2018 and finish as runners-up at Euro 2020, but the manager has come under scrutiny after a poor Nations League campaign.

    England were relegated from League A after picking up just three points from their six games.

    But USMNT coach Berhalter remains wary of England's quality, saying: "It's scary thinking about how we're going to beat them. We'll look at some of the games, look at some of their vulnerabilities and try to exploit that.

    "For us, it's looking at the group as an entirety, not just focusing on England, because we know that's one of the games that makes up 33 per cent of the games we have in the opening round.

    "Our job, our goal, is to finish in the top two and move on."

    The USA held England to a 1-1 draw in their opening game at the 2010 World Cup in South Africa, but Berhalter believes the Three Lions will be tougher opponents this time around as they are genuine contenders.

    "What I would say is I don't know if the expectations have always been in line with the quality of the squad," Berhalter added.

    "Back in 2010, realistically, I didn't think they had the squad that can win the World Cup, right? But now it's different. Now I think we all agree they have a squad that can win the World Cup.

    "Gareth, in my opinion, has done a great job of helping the players cope with that pressure, using the jersey as a cape rather than a straitjacket and really giving them the freedom to play on the field.

    "[He is] giving them the idea that they can represent their country in a positive way and make the country proud."

  • Former Man City and England midfielder Delph retires at 32 Former Man City and England midfielder Delph retires at 32

    Former Manchester City and England midfielder Fabian Delph has announced his retirement from football at the age of 32.

    The ex-Everton player, who began his career with Leeds United and also spent time with Aston Villa, had been without a club since his contract with the Toffees expired in June.

    He has now revealed he will hang up his boots, penning a farewell statement on social media.

    "So today I announce my retirement with nothing but happiness and gratitude for what this beautiful game has given me," Delph wrote.

    "[A] massive shout out to my family, friends, players and staff from the amazing clubs I have been fortunate enough to represent as well as the support I have had from the fans."

    Across a 16-year career, Delph was a two-time Premier League winner with City, while he was a runner-up in the FA Cup and EFL Cup with Villa.

    Capped 20 times for the Three Lions, he was a surprise recall for Gareth Southgate after three years away from the international game in 2018, before being part of the squad that came fourth at Russia 2018.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.