Rangers 3-0 Union Saint-Gilloise (3-2 agg): Gers produce memorable comeback to reach Champions League play-offs

By Sports Desk August 09, 2022

Rangers wiped out a 2-0 aggregate deficit to reach the Champions League play-offs thanks to a 3-0 win over Union Saint-Gilloise at Ibrox on Tuesday.

Giovanni van Bronckhorst's side were guilty of an underwhelming first-leg performance in Belgium last week, with the Dutchman acknowledging his team were fortunate to only lose 2-0.

But just as it proved crucial en route to the Europa League final last season, the 'Ibrox factor' put them back on course.

Fan expectations will have remained low for much of the first half until a hopeful Borna Barisic cross struck an arm, and James Tavernier converted the resulting penalty with aplomb on the stroke of half-time.

Rangers' tails were up and they appeared rejuvenated in the second period, with Antonio Colak nodding in from close range to level the scores on aggregate.

Extra time looked likely, but another Barisic delivery proved crucial 12 minutes from the end – this time Bayern Munich loanee Malik Tillman beat the stranded goalkeeper to nod into an empty net as the visitors, who had Jean Thierry Lazare sent off late on for two bookings, were vanquished.

Rangers will face either PSV or Monaco – whose second leg went beyond the regulation 90 minutes in the play-off round.

Related items

  • Hillsborough apology issued by police chiefs 34 years after disaster Hillsborough apology issued by police chiefs 34 years after disaster

    The United Kingdom's leading police council has apologised to survivors and families of those who died in the Hillsborough disaster for their failings 34 years ago.

    Ninety-seven Liverpool supporters died in the 1989 stadium crush during an FA Cup semi-final against Nottingham Forest at the home of Sheffield Wednesday.

    In 2012, an initial inquest verdict of accidental death was quashed two decades after it was handed down following campaigning by the bereaved families, and a 2016 inquest found victims were unlawfully killed due to gross negligence manslaughter.

    Now, five years on from the release of a 2017 report into the disaster by the former Bishop of Liverpool James Jones, the UK's National Police Chiefs' Council (NPCC) and College of Policing have become the first major bodies to respond to the probe.

    "Policing has profoundly failed those bereaved by the Hillsborough disaster over many years and we are sorry that the service got it so wrong," chief constable Andy Marsh, CEO of the College of Policing, said in a statement.

    "Police failures were the main cause of the tragedy and have continued to blight the lives of family members ever since.

    "When leadership was most needed, the bereaved were often treated insensitively and the response lacked coordination and oversight."

    The disaster was originally blamed on the behaviour of fans after those killed were caught in a crush in a lower-tier enclosure at Hillsborough.

    Martin Hewitt, the NPCC chair, said he was "deeply sorry for the tragic loss of life", adding: "Collectively, the changes made since the Hillsborough disaster and in response to Rt Reverend James Jones' report aim to ensure the terrible police failures made on the day and in the aftermath can never happen again."

  • European Super League boosted as clubs are told FIFA and UEFA must not interfere European Super League boosted as clubs are told FIFA and UEFA must not interfere

    European Super League chiefs have succeeded in restoring an injunction preventing UEFA and FIFA from punishing clubs wishing to be involved in the controversial project.

    Madrid's Audiencia Provincial Civil court issued a decision on Tuesday that was welcomed by organisers of the planned new competition.

    Barcelona, Real Madrid and Juventus have been the only clubs who have not backed away from the Super League, since its launch in April 2021 sparked a backlash and led nine of the 12 teams involved to pull out.

    World governing body FIFA and European counterpart UEFA had warned players and clubs taking part in the breakaway league would be banned from their competitions, which include the World Cup and European Championship.

    In December, an opinion published by the European Union's Court of Justice (CJEU) said UEFA and FIFA would be entitled to freeze out a European Super League and its competing teams.

    That was in response to a request by the Commercial Court in Madrid to rule on whether FIFA and UEFA would have the right to take action in accordance with competition law and fundamental freedoms.

    European Super League chiefs argued such actions should be regarded as anti-competitive and incompatible with EU competition law. The CJEU opinion was not a binding ruling, which is due to follow in the coming months, and now the sport's ruling bodies have been told they should not be using powers to intervene in the meantime.

    The Madrid court said on Tuesday: "The problem is that the risk that exists of the arbitrary use by FIFA and UEFA of its disciplinary power does not adhere to the repercussion of its effects within the competitions they manage, but it can also be used, as it is clear that it has been threatened with doing so, to discourage any purpose of the operators of the market who are tempted to build relationships with the competitor."

    It added: "The eventual justification of the conduct of FIFA and UEFA as an attempt to protect the European sports model we consider it, prima facie, as a flimsy excuse."

    There is no guarantee clubs will be tempted back to the European Super League, given supporters of many teams were so strongly opposed, but Tuesday's ruling may encourage more to show an interest.

    Six clubs from the Premier League and three each from LaLiga and Serie A initially agreed to join the European Super League, prior to public reaction leading to a rethink.

    A22 Sports Management was set up to manage the European Super League project, and its CEO Bernd Reichart welcomed the latest development, saying it would allow his business "to freely continue the project of creating a new and exciting European football competition".

    Reichart added: "It confirms that UEFA's monopoly position cannot be used to pressure or threaten clubs, players or companies willing to innovate and invigorate competition in professional football.

    "We will therefore continue our dialogue with football stakeholders in a new and more appropriate environment, free from threats and other obstructive steps taken by UEFA and other bodies."

  • Arsenal midfielder Elneny set for lengthy layoff after knee surgery Arsenal midfielder Elneny set for lengthy layoff after knee surgery

    Arsenal midfielder Mohamed Elneny is set for an indefinite layoff after undergoing surgery for a knee injury, as the club reportedly close in on the signing of Jorginho from Chelsea.

    Egypt international Elneny, who has made five Premier League appearances this season for Mikel Arteta's side, suffered the problem in training.

    Though he has undergone a successful operation, the 30-year-old will spend a significant period on the sidelines as he begins his road to recovery.

    "Following an injury sustained in a recent training session, subsequent assessments have confirmed that Mohamed Elneny has a significant injury to his right knee," read a club statement.

    "Mo has had successful surgery in London and will be ruled out for an extended period of time.

    "A more detailed timescale will be established once the early stages of rehabilitation have been completed."

    The Gunners have also confirmed a loan exit for Marquinhos.

    The Brazilian teenager, who has made six appearances this term, has joined Championship outfit Norwich City until the end of the season.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.