Pogba set for specialist visit as World Cup hopes hinge on surgery plan

By Sports Desk July 28, 2022

Paul Pogba hoped his move to Juventus would be a fresh start, but already the midfielder is facing the worrying possibility he could miss the World Cup.

Leaving Manchester United and returning to Turin looked set to be a switch that would allow Pogba to set aside a difficult time in England, where he was plagued by injuries.

However, a knee problem has hit Pogba in the early weeks of his second spell with Juventus, and reports on Thursday in Italy pointed to possible bleak news ahead for the France midfielder, who was a key figure as Les Bleus won the World Cup four years ago in Russia.

Pogba complained of his injury while with Juventus in the United States, and initial checks led Juventus to announce he had suffered a lesion of the lateral meniscus.

The injury to his right knee means Pogba is sure to face a spell on the sidelines, and now it remains to be seen how long that lasts.

It depends on what course of action is taken, and Corriere dello Sport reported that Pogba would see a specialist on Thursday.

The newspaper said there were two options that would be considered, with the first involving the removal of the damaged part of the meniscus and the second focusing on fully repairing the knee. Those are the standard options for repairing a torn meniscus.

The initial path could see Pogba sidelined for around six weeks, reports said, but the secondary option could see him ruled out of action for the rest of the calendar year.

Juventus have yet to give any indication of how long they expect to be without Pogba.

Pogba, 29, spent four years at Juventus between 2012 and 2016, winning four Serie A titles in that period before moving to United for a then world record fee of £89.3million (€105million).

The World Cup begins on November 21 in Qatar, and France boss Didier Deschamps would want 91-cap Pogba to have proven his fitness well in advance of the tournament getting under way.

Related items

  • Darmian signs new Inter contract Darmian signs new Inter contract

    Matteo Darmian has signed a new contract with Inter until 2024.

    The full-back was due to see his previous deal expire at the end of the season, although it was widely expected fresh terms would be agreed.

    Inter announced the news on Thursday, less than 48 hours after Darmian scored the winning goal in the Coppa Italia quarter-final against Atalanta.

    "Hi Inter fans. I'm delighted to keep on wearing these colours. See you at the stadium," Darmian said in a video posted on social media.

    Darmian joined Inter in 2020 from Manchester United, initially on loan before making a permanent move the following year.

    He was part of the Serie A winning side in his first year at the club and lifted the Coppa Italia last season, as well as the Supercoppa Italiana – a trophy Inter retained last month by beating rivals Milan.

  • Jamaica names squad for CONCACAF Under-17 Men's Championships Jamaica names squad for CONCACAF Under-17 Men's Championships

    Head coach Merron Gordon and his staff have selected the 20-man squad which will represent Jamaica at the Concacaf U17 Men’s Championship in Guatemala from February 11-26.

    He also named four reserves who will continue to train with the team as changes can be made in case of injury, as late as match day minus one.

    Gordon’s assistant coaches will be Andrew Peart and Vassel Reynolds while Andrew Sewell will serve as goalkeeping coach.

    The rest of the staff reads: Ronald Watson (Kit Man), Wendell Downswell (Technical Director), Lamar Morgan (Physical Trainer), Dr. Edmund Regis (Team Doctor), Remawn Thomas (Team Manager), Alvin Green (Masseur), Tajay Bailey (Physiotherapist), Baron Watson (HOD).

    The delegation departs on February 9.

    The squad is as follows: Taywayne Lynch (Mount Pleasant Academy), Joshua Grant (Inter Miami FC), Ahir Dixon (Mount Pleasant Academy), Alexavier Gooden (Cavalier SC), Malik Robinson (Unattached), Nashon Bolt (Unattached), Ronaldo Barrett (Cavalier SC), Adrian Reid (Cavalier SC), Malachi Molina (FC Dallas Academy), Brandon Bent (Inter Miami FC Academy), Ja-son White (Unattached), Jordan Mantagal (South Florida Academy), Everald Swaby (Unattached), Jahmani Bell (Phoenix Academy), Dusting Cohen (Vere United FC), Orane Watson (Harbour View FC), Nicholas Simmonds (Richmond United Academy), Adrian Mahoney (Toronto FC Academy), Ashton Gordon (Atlanta United Academy), Dyllan John (Phoenix Academy).

    Reserves: Odane Wilberforce (Mount Pleasant Academy), Samir Bloise (FC Prime), Ryan Heron (Orlando City FC), Che-Daniel Gardner (Unattached).

  • Charges against Man Utd forward Mason Greenwood dropped Charges against Man Utd forward Mason Greenwood dropped

    Criminal proceedings against Manchester United forward Mason Greenwood have been discontinued, the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) has announced.

    The 21-year-old was arrested in January 2022 and was due to stand trial in November on accusations of attempted rape, assault and coercive control.

    However, the CPS confirmed on Thursday that all charges have been dropped.

    A statement read: "Mason Greenwood was charged in October 2022 with one count of attempted rape, one count of controlling and coercive behaviour and one count of assault occasioning actual bodily harm.

    "A decision has been made to discontinue prosecution in accordance with the Code of Crown Prosecutors."

    A CPS spokesperson said: "We have a duty to keep cases under continuous review.

    "In this case a combination of the withdrawal of key witnesses and new material that came to light meant there was no longer a realistic prospect of conviction. In these circumstances, we are under a duty to stop the case.

    "We have explained our decision to all parties. We would always encourage any potential victims to come forward and report to police and we will prosecute wherever our legal test is met."

    Chief Superintendent Michaela Kerr, Greater Manchester Police's Head of Public Protection, said: "Given the significant media coverage of this case, it is only fair that we share the news that the 21-year-old man, who had been arrested and charged in connection with an investigation opened in January 2022, no longer faces criminal proceedings in relation to this.

    "The investigation team has remained in regular contact with the legal team, providing any updates of note, and so understand the rationale for the discontinuation of proceedings at this stage, and that this decision has not been taken lightly.

    "Despite the media and public’s interest in this case, we have decided not to comment on it in any further detail."

    Greenwood last played for United on January 22 last year in a 1-0 victory against West Ham before being suspended by the club.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.