Palmeiras, Flamengo coast through in Copa Libertadores as River Plate eliminated

By Sports Desk July 07, 2022

Palmeiras secured their progression to the quarter-finals of the Copa Libertadores on Wednesday, trouncing Cerro Porteno 5-0 in Sao Paulo.

Coming into the second leg with a 3-0 lead on aggregate, the Verdao eventually extended it to 8-0 over two legs with four goals in the final 20 minutes on Wednesday, following Braian Samudio's own goal in the first half.

Francisco Arce's side did little to put the two-time reigning Libertadores champions on the back foot, failing to generate a shot in open play in the penalty area over the 90 minutes despite the majority of possession.

Launches up the pitch from Palmeiras goalkeeper Weverton resulted in late goals, with Rony scoring in the 73rd minutes and then assisting for Breno Lopes with a deft back-heel two minutes later. 

Palmeiras captain Gustavo Gomez scored what would be a cherished goal against his boyhood club Libertad's rivals to make it 4-0 in the 78th minute, before Breno returned the favour for Rony to round out the scoring in the 83rd.

Abel Ferreira's side will now meet Atletico Mineiro in the quarter-finals, after they progressed past Emelec on Tuesday.

Second-half barrage sees Flamengo through 

Flamengo set up a high-profile quarter-final with Corinthians in the late game on Wednesday, smashing Deportes Tolima 7-1 in Rio de Janeiro in their second-leg clash.

Dorival Junior's side confirmed an 8-1 win on aggregate over two legs, scoring five goals in the second half at the Maracana.

Pedro bagged a poker on the night, putting the two-time Libertadores winners up 1-0 in only the fifth minute, before helping put the aggregate result beyond doubt in the second half with another three goals.

Velez knock out River in huge upset 

Even after Corinthians eliminated Boca Juniors at La Bombonera on Tuesday, Velez Sarsfield claimed the last-16's biggest scalp, progressing past River Plate with a 0-0 draw on Wednesday in Buenos Aires.

Julio Vaccari's side absorbed pressure and looked relatively comfortable at the Monumental, against a River side that grew increasingly short of ideas.

Despite 71.1 per cent of possession in the second half, in what will likely be Julian Alvarez's last game for the club before completing his move to Manchester City, River Plate did not generate a shot in the penalty area from open play in the final 30 minutes.

Related items

  • Five-star Rangers pile pressure on Celtic after hammering Hearts Five-star Rangers pile pressure on Celtic after hammering Hearts

    Rampant Rangers stormed five points clear of Celtic at the top of the cinch Premiership with a 5-0 hammering of Hearts at Ibrox.

    Midfielder Mohamed Diomande fired the home side ahead with just over a minute played and wide-man Oscar Cortes doubled that lead after 37 minutes with his first goal as a Light Blues player, with striker Cyriel Dessers adding a third and fourth just before and after the break.

    Philippe Clement’s side kept pushing and substitute Fabio Silva scored a fifth just after the hour mark with Rangers’ biggest home win of the season piling pressure on Celtic, who take on Motherwell at Fir Park on Sunday knowing there is no room for error.

    The Ibrox side, who were paired with Benfica in the Europa League last-16 draw on Friday, were high on confidence after winning their previous nine matches.

    However, they were without injured Todd Cantwell with Tom Lawrence one of four changes along with Ridvan Yilmaz, Dujon Sterling and Dessers. Kemar Roofe was back on the bench after two months out and would make a late appearance.

    Hearts had reason to believe they could cause an upset despite three defeats out of three against the Govan side this season.

    Steven Naismith’s men were unbeaten in 12 matches in all competitions and captain Lawrence Shankland led the league goalscoring charts with 18 goals in 26 counters for club and country so far this season.

    However, the Tynecastle outfit, who had Nathaniel Atkinson, Jorge Grant and Kenneth Vargas back in the side, were stunned by the loss of the early goal.

    Hearts were in their shape when 20-year-old Cortes came in from the left and set up Diomande but he sized up the shot from 20 yards and drilled the ball low past Gorgie keeper Zander Clark, his second Rangers goal after scoring his first last week against St Johnstone.

    The football was frantic.

    A lung-bursting run by Dessers ended up with his shot saved by Clark, who made an even better save from skipper James Tavernier’s powerful drive moments later.

    Dessers should have had the ball in the net in the 18th minute after Clark had parried a long-distance drive from Yilmaz but the Jambos keeper saved his header and then his shot, although the offside flag was up.

    The Gers striker then headed a Yilmaz cross past the post with only Clark to beat.

    Just as Hearts worked their way back into the game, they conceded a second with Lawrence taking a Sterling pass and motoring forward before squaring for Cortes and he curled the ball low past the diving Clark, who was soon picking the ball out of his net again when Dessers side-footed a John Souttar cross past him.

    The Jambos defence failed to deal with Sterling’s cross into the box early in the second half and Dessers lashed the ball into the net from close range, the goal surviving a VAR check for handball.

    Silva and Ross McCausland replaced Lawrence and Sterling before Tavernier’s cut-back across the six-yard box evaded the sliding Dessers.

    But there was no respite for the visitors.

    In the 65th minute, midfielder John Lundstram slid in Silva and his angled-drive beat Clark and found the far corner.

    The distressed Gorgie side kept on going.

    Gers keeper Jack Butland was beaten by a Shankland header but the ball rebounded off the post and Rangers escaped, with Butland making a decent save from Grant’s 25-yard free-kick and substitute Kyosuke Tagawa’s curling strike.

    However, another clean sheet was registered by the home side and they will travel to Kilmarnock on Wednesday with increasing title belief.

  • Stevenage continue League One play-off push with victory over 10-man Wycombe Stevenage continue League One play-off push with victory over 10-man Wycombe

    Captain Carl Piergianni struck the winner as Stevenage reignited their play-off push in Sky Bet League One with a 1-0 victory over 10-man Wycombe.

    The Boro’s first win in five games moved them within one point of sixth-placed Oxford with two games in hand, with the result helped along by a red card for Chairboys goalkeeper Max Stryjek early in the second half.

    Richard Kone had a great chance to give Wycombe the lead after 10 minutes when he miscued his attempt off Matt Butcher’s chipped ball in against the top of the crossbar.

    Stevenage then went ahead from their first big chance in the 23rd minute when Dan Sweeney laid the ball off for fellow centre-back Piergianni to steer into the bottom corner.

    Jake Forster-Caskey almost doubled the home side’s lead five minutes before half-time when his strike was excellently saved by Stryjek.

    Stryjek was then sent off three minutes into the second half after bringing down Jordan Roberts just outside his area.

    His replacement Franco Ravizzoli fumbled Piergianni’s header against the post as one goal proved enough for the hosts.

  • Cardiff end winless home run with Championship victory over struggling Stoke Cardiff end winless home run with Championship victory over struggling Stoke

    Cardiff ended their six-game winless run at home with a 2-1 Championship victory over relegation-threatened Stoke.

    The Bluebirds started well and took the lead in the fifth minute as Kion Etete headed the ball beyond Daniel Iversen.

    Karlan Grant doubled Cardiff’s lead after 32 minutes before Bae Jun-ho’s first goal for Stoke in the 41st minute gave the visitors hope in south Wales.

    But the Potters were unable to find an equaliser after a strong second-half showing as they lost for the sixth time in seven outings to drop into the bottom three.

    Erol Bulut’s hosts went into the contest having failed to score in any of their previous four home matches.

    But the Bluebirds made a dream start as returning captain Joe Ralls’ corner was headed home by Etete via a flick by Jordan Thompson.

    It was the striker’s sixth goal of the campaign, but his first since late September and it set the tone for what was a positive start from the hosts, who then saw Rubin Colwill fire a tame shot at Iversen.

    Steven Schumacher’s side settled after a sloppy start though and came within a whisker of levelling from their first attack.

    Million Manhoef split the Cardiff defence to put Niall Ennis through on goal, although the forward dragged his shot inches wide.

    That slip-up aside, Cardiff looked solid at the back and following a brief flat period, they doubled their lead.

    Colwill battled to retain possession on the deck before Ralls threaded the ball through to Grant, whose effort went across Iversen and into the net.

    It was a far cry from Cardiff’s recent blunt home showings and the away supporters would have feared the worst when Iversen scrambled to keep out a Nat Phillips header.

    But they were handed a lifeline just before half-time after Perry Ng fouled Bae on the edge of his own box.

    Ethan Horvath could only push Lewis Baker’s drilled free-kick into the path of Bae, who tapped home from close range.

    Ralls had a shot blocked in the dying moments of the first half which ensured the contest remained finely poised ahead of the second.

    Lynden Gooch and Josh Laurent replaced Junior Tchamadeu and Luke Cundle for the second 45 and the Potters set out to find an equaliser.

    Ennis prodded an effort straight at Horvath before the United States goalkeeper denied the frontman from an acute angle moments later.

    Baker then headed wide from Thompson’s cross as Stoke piled on the pressure.

    The home side barely laid a glove on their opponents in the second half, with Perry Ng lashing a free-kick into the Stoke wall and Yakou Meite heading wide.

    Stoke continued to push for a late leveller, but they slumped to a third-successive away defeat, while victory was Cardiff’s first in five showings.

© 2023 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.