EPL

Fabianski 'honoured and proud' as goalkeeper agrees new West Ham deal

By Sports Desk July 06, 2022

Lukasz Fabianski says he feels "honoured and proud" to continue representing West Ham after signing a one-year contract extension with the Premier League side.

The Poland international has been a regular during his four seasons at the London Stadium, making 139 appearances in all competitions.

His previous contract expired on July 1, but West Ham confirmed on Wednesday that a new deal – which contains an option for a further 12 months – has been agreed.

"I'm obviously pleased and very happy that I can stay for one more year," said Fabianski, who has also played for Swansea City and Arsenal in the Premier League.

"The way the club has developed and started to reach its potential, it's been really nice to be part of it.

"I can see how much attention this club draws when it comes to interacting with the fans or the way it's being presented in the media.

"I think there's a lot of interest into the club, so it feels like this is one of the bigger ones in the country, so I'm just honoured and proud to be part of this club for a few years now."

Fabianski will again face competition from Alphonse Areola for a starting spot next season, with the latter turning his loan move from Paris Saint-Germain into a permanent deal last month. 

Related items

  • Bernardo Silva irritated by Man City players not getting due credit Bernardo Silva irritated by Man City players not getting due credit

    Bernardo Silva is frustrated about Manchester City players apparently not getting as much credit as they deserve.

    City have won four of the past five Premier League titles, a feat only previously managed by Alex Ferguson's Manchester United.

    Pep Guardiola's arrival in 2016 has undoubtedly had an impact on their domination, with the Catalan coach quickly establishing a team identity that has made them one of the most entertaining and ruthless sides in Europe.

    But Bernardo, who joined a year after Guardiola, thinks City are not as appreciated as they should be, with the Portugal international suggesting the end-of-season awards are evidence of this.

    Last season, the Professional Footballers' Association's (PFA) Team of the Year contained only three City players – including Bernardo – to Liverpool's six and Jurgen Klopp took the managers' award, despite City winning the title.

    While that does appear to be an anomaly, with City boasting the most Team of the Year representatives and Guardiola claiming the managers' prize in each of their previous three title-winning campaigns before last season, Bernardo still feels the champions are judged differently to the rest.

    Asked specifically if he gets the praise he deserves, Bernardo – who took the opportunity to go off on a bit of a tangent – told ESPN: "From Man City fans, definitely. I feel a lot of support, and they show a lot of appreciation for what I do.

    "From outside, it's difficult. I'm not complaining here, but I feel like other clubs get a lot more credit than Man City for doing less.

    "For example, when I was at Benfica – a huge club in Portugal with more fans, more everything – you do something nice and they make it look like it's great. Here at Man City, you do something great and they make it look like it's just good.

    "Again, I'm not complaining, but playing in the Premier League and winning four titles in five years and checking the Premier League Team of the Year every year and knowing that we're never the team that has the most players.

    "We don't have the best manager, we don't have the best players, but we still win four Premier Leagues in five years? It just doesn't make sense. It probably shows that Man City players don't get as much credit as they should.

    "For me, it doesn't matter honestly. I'm happy with the titles that we have and with the memories that in the last five years, we won four times. Of course, we don't get the credit that we deserve."

  • Bernardo Silva says Man City 'know what I want' amid Barcelona links Bernardo Silva says Man City 'know what I want' amid Barcelona links

    Bernardo Silva expects any developments around his Manchester City future to be "very respectful" but says the club "know what I want".

    Silva has been an outstanding performer for City since signing from Monaco in 2017, winning four Premier League titles in five years.

    But he has been linked with a move away from the Etihad Stadium in this transfer window, with big-spending Barcelona said to be interested.

    It has been suggested Silva would be keen to join Barca, and the midfielder did not rule out the possibility of a transfer in a wide-ranging interview with ESPN.

    "I've always said that I'm happy here, but I have no idea what's going to happen," Silva said. "We'll see, honestly.

    "My relationship with the club is very honest. I've been open with them, and they know what I want.

    "If I stay, I'm very happy, and I will always respect this club and give all my best. If not, it's football and we'll just see what happens.

    "It's a big club, and they don't want players who are not happy at the club. They always say to all of us that if you're not happy, you can go.

    "Of course, they are in business and they want the right amount of money for letting us go, but personally it's a relationship with the club that is very respectful.

    "They have always been honest with me, and I have always been honest with them.

    "As I said, I will always respect my relationship with Man City, with the fans, with the staff, with my team-mates, so whatever happens happens, and for sure, it will happen in a very respectful way."

    Having started 33 matches in the Premier League last season, Silva was a substitute in Sunday's opening win over West Ham, appearing for the final 12 minutes.

  • Alexis Sanchez passes medical and completes Marseille move Alexis Sanchez passes medical and completes Marseille move

    Alexis Sanchez officially signed his contract as a Marseille player on Wednesday after passing a medical with the Ligue 1 club.

    A busy week for Sanchez had seen him depart Inter on Monday when his contract was terminated, before Marseille announced a deal in principle had been agreed on Tuesday.

    Marseille fans were made to wait little longer for formal confirmation of an eye-catching signing.

    The former Barcelona, Arsenal and Manchester United man arrives in France looking to recapture his best form, having started only seven matches in Serie A last season – albeit he still scored five goals.

    Sanchez had netted seven for Inter the previous season, again often appearing from the bench, as the Nerazzurri won the Scudetto.

    Marseille's statement on Wednesday described Sanchez as "a world-class player with a great experience of the very highest level".

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.