'Eternal captain' Fernandinho pens poetic farewell to Man City

By Sports Desk June 30, 2022

Fernandinho has penned a poetic farewell to Manchester City supporters on social media following his move to Athletico Paranaense.

Brazilian side Paranaense confirmed on Monday that an agreement is in place to re-sign Fernandinho, who previously spent three years with the club.

The 53-cap former Brazil international left Paranaense in 2005 to join Shakhtar Donetsk, before spending nine seasons with City, the last two of those as captain.

After making 383 appearances for City and winning 12 major honours, including five Premier League titles, Fernandinho bowed out at the end of the 2021-22 campaign.

And on the day his contract at the Etihad Stadium officially expired, Fernandinho took to Twitter to pay an emotional tribute to everyone connected with City.

"I saw. I saw my family proud. I saw supporters that never forgot where they came from," he posted in an open letter. 

"I saw the beauty of being part of a winning team. I saw titles, superstars and geniuses. I saw an opportunity to fulfil my dream.

"And then I realised. I realised the importance of all reading this letter. I realised that I made the right choice, the best choice of my entire life.

"I hope one day when you remember me, you feel the same way that I'm feeling when I'm writing this."

He added: "Athletes, coaches/trainers, laundry staff, kit managers, cleaners, concierge, security team, door staff, advisors, executives, cooks, directors, doctors, masseuses, physiotherapists, sports psychologists, media team, analysts, youth teams, charity teams…

"Apologies if I missed anyone, but you know who you are. Today is the last day of my contract with Manchester City.

"I can only say that I gave my very best and I would do it all over again. The story continues and after playing for nine years, I will become an avid Cityzen supporter for many more titles and victories.

"I am certain that many more will come judging by the quality of all your daily work."

Fernandinho signed off the letter: "My memories will last forever. Many thanks, your eternal captain."

The 37-year-old previously revealed he turned down numerous offers to return to Paranaense, who are now managed by former Portugal and Brazil boss Luis Felipe Scolari.

Related items

  • Dundee United’s relegation confirmed following Motherwell defeat Dundee United’s relegation confirmed following Motherwell defeat

    Dundee United’s relegation from the cinch Premiership was confirmed as they fell to a 3-2 defeat at Motherwell.

    The Terrors required a victory and an eight-goal swing in goal difference to avoid the drop but they were unable to produce a great escape at Fir Park.

    Kevin van Veen took his incredible scoring run to 11 consecutive matches by breaking the deadlock after five minutes – setting a new Scottish post-war record in the process.

    United responded through Jamie McGrath’s penalty and Steven Fletcher coolly fired Jim Goodwin’s side ahead early in the second half, but Motherwell would come surging back.

    Blair Spittal levelled after 69 minutes before Max Johnston grabbed a winner shortly after having a goal ruled out for offside.

    Spittal saw a shot gathered at the second time of asking as the home side threatened in the first minute.

    The opening goal arrived after five minutes when Sean Goss dispossessed Glenn Middleton and slid a neat through ball to Van Veen, who coolly rounded the goalkeeper before slamming the ball into the net.

    United were in desperate need of a response, and a good stop by Liam Kelly prevented Middleton drawing them level in the 10th minute. Fletcher was then denied an equaliser by an excellent goal-line clearance from Paul McGinn.

    Van Veen almost doubled his tally after he connected with Stephen O’Donnell’s cross, only for his header to clip the crossbar and drift over the top.

    Referee Steven MacLean awarded the visitors a penalty following a VAR check on the half-hour which showed Bevis Mugabi to have handled inside the area.

    McGrath stepped up to take the resulting spot-kick and he powerfully dispatched the ball beyond the reach of Kelly to restore parity for Goodwin’s men.

    Mikael Mandron passed up a glorious chance to head Motherwell back in front when he failed to hit the target following good work from Van Veen.

    Fletcher’s close-range header struck the outside of a post just before half-time, though the striker would complete the turnaround three minutes into the second half – giving their travelling supporters a glimmer of hope that they could orchestrate a miracle turnaround.

    Peter Pawlett did well to link with McGrath before surging forward, and he teed-up Fletcher for the simplest of finishes past Kelly.

    A superb save by Jack Newman prevented Mugabi’s point-blank header from finding the net and there was a further chance for Mandron before James Furlong’s low drive somehow stayed out after striking a post and flashing across the goal-line.

    The equaliser eventually arrived with 21 minutes remaining on the clock, Spittal drilling the ball beyond the despairing Newman from the edge of the box.

    Johnston saw a goal ruled out for offside as the home side continued to press and Goss really should have taken on a shot himself rather than squaring the ball to Van Veen who was hampered by a tight angle.

    Johnston was not to denied second time around when he found the net again with eight minutes left on the clock, turning home Furlong’s cross to put beyond any doubt that the Tannadice side would be relegated.

  • Kilmarnock consign Ross County to relegation play-off with win at Rugby Park Kilmarnock consign Ross County to relegation play-off with win at Rugby Park

    Kilmarnock beat Ross County 3-1 at Rugby Park to secure their their cinch Premiership survival and consign their opponents to a relegation play-off against Partick Thistle.

    The Ayrshire side knew a point would be enough to keep them ahead of the Staggies and out of the bottom two, but they made it a final day to enjoy for their supporters as goals from Brad Lyons, Daniel Armstrong and Kyle Vassell secured a well-deserved victory.

    County gave themselves a glimmer of hope when Yan Dhanda reduced their arrears to 2-1 just after the hour mark but they were unable to enough to get out of 11th place and they must now overcome free-scoring Partick over two legs if they are to remain in the top flight for a fifth consecutive season.

    Killie manager Derek McInnes selected the same team that started Wednesday’s 3-0 win at Dundee United.

    County boss Malky Mackay made three changes to the team that kicked off the 3-3 draw at home to St Johnstone as David Cancola, Alex Iacovitti and Alex Samuel replaced Victor Loturi, Dylan Smith and Simon Murray.

    After a frenetic opening to proceedings, County had the first notable sight of goal in the 13th minute when Iacovitti headed over from Jack Baldwin’s long throw.

    Killie were generally enjoying the bulk of the possession but they had to wait until the 29th minute for their first proper chance when Christian Doidge saw a powerful header tipped over by Ross Laidlaw from a Liam Polworth cross.

    The hosts had been knocking on the door and they took the lead in the 36th minute when midfielder Lyons got himself free at the near post to steer home Armstrong’s corner for his first goal since joining Kilmarnock almost two years ago.

    Nohan Kenneh fired a shot just wide from the edge of the box four minutes before the break as County tried to find a response

    The Staggies made a change for the start of the second half as Jordan White, who had suffered a head knock in the first half, was replaced by Murray.

    Killie extended their lead within four minutes of the restart.

    Armstrong was tripped by Iacovitti as he tried to cut into the box from the right and a free-kick was initially awarded. Following a VAR check, it was established that the foul had taken place inside the area and a penalty was given.

    Armstrong stepped up to net from the spot, sparking chants of “we are staying up” from the home support.

    County got themselves back into it, however, with a penalty of their own in the 62nd minute as Dhanda fired high into the net from the spot after Ash Taylor was deemed to have pulled Keith Watson in the box following another VAR review.

    Dhanda then spurned a chance to equalise three minutes later when he blazed over after being picked out by a Randall cross.

    But Killie were able to breathe easily in the 78th minute when Vassell headed the rebound in off the underside of the bar after he had two consecutive shots charged down in the box by County defenders.

  • Carlisle promoted to League One after shootout victory over Stockport at Wembley Carlisle promoted to League One after shootout victory over Stockport at Wembley

    Carlisle secured their return to Sky Bet League One for the first time in nine years after claiming a dramatic 5-4 penalty shootout victory against Stockport in the League Two play-off final.

    The two sides ended 120 minutes locked at 1-1 at a sun-drenched Wembley, before the Cumbrians prevailed thanks to perfect spot-kicks from Kristian Dennis, Jon Mellish, Ryan Edmondson, Owen Moxon and Taylor Charters.

    Ryan Rydel’s sole missed attempt for Stockport prevented them from sealing back-to-back promotions, while Carlisle lapped up their triumph in what was their first-ever play-off final.

    In perfect summery conditions and in front of a crowd of over 34,000, it was Stockport who threatened first when captain Paddy Madden’s header looped onto the roof of the net.

    The Hatters, featuring two changes from their semi-final second-leg triumph against Salford, bossed the possession in the opening 23 minutes, but neither side managed to create anything further in front of goal.

    That was until Carlisle, without semi-final tie-winner Ben Barclay as he is on loan from Stockport, almost struck the first blow.

    Joe Garner leapt superbly to meet Moxon’s free-kick into the box, but his header was expertly palmed around a post by goalkeeper Ben Hinchliffe.

    The conditions were proving tough and energy-sapping, but it was Stockport who made the breakthrough – courtesy of a large slice of fortune – in the 34th minute.

    Striker Isaac Olaofe appeared content to simply swing in a cross from wide out on the right, but the ball clipped heavily off the boot of Mellish before looping over keeper Tomas Holy and finding the far corner.

    Cue wild celebrations in the Stockport half of the stadium, but they were almost pegged back in first-half stoppage time.

    John-Kymani Gordon barged past the challenges of Chris Hussey and Akil Wright, only to then fire over from 15 yards.

    The opening 10 minutes of the second period were equally as cagy as the early stages of the first, with so much at stake, but Stockport fluffed a terrific chance to notch again shortly before the hour mark.

    Wright darted in unopposed to meet Hussey’s cross, only to somehow head wide from eight yards.

    County substitute Myles Hippolyte then went close with an acrobatic scissor kick as his side continued their search for a potentially victory-clinching second goal.

    At the other end there were loud penalty appeals when Mellish’s shot was blocked by the armpit of Kyle Knoyle, but that was soon forgotten as the Cumbrians went on to grab an 84th-minute leveller.

    Substitute Omari Patrick sent the tie into extra time, drilling home after Joel Senior’s low cross was not dealt with by the Stockport defence.

    After Jack Stretton, for Stockport, and Carlisle’s Dennis had both gone mightily close to settling it in the extra period, it was left to Paul Simpson’s men to seal their promotion thanks to their handful of faultless spot-kicks.

© 2023 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.