Zidane still has 'flame' to continue coaching amid PSG speculation

By Sports Desk June 19, 2022

Zinedine Zidane says he still has the "flame" to continue his managerial career, despite a year out of the game after his departure from Real Madrid last year.

The Frenchman departed Santiago Bernabeu for a second time at the end of the 2020-21 season, having guided the club to a hat-trick of Champions League triumphs during his first term in charge and won 11 trophies in all during his time there.

Zidane has since been linked with a number of jobs, including in his home country where he was touted as the frontrunner to succeed Mauricio Pochettino at Paris Saint-Germain, as well as Didier Deschamps' possible successor as France head coach beyond Qatar 2022.

With Nice boss Christoph Galtier now in the driving seat to take the reins at Parc des Princes, Zidane's time in the wilderness looks set to continue.

But the former World Cup winner, who turns 50 this month, hopes to return to the dugout, while admitting he remains satisfied without having to leap straight into any job that becomes available.

"I want to continue," he told Telefoot. "I still have this flame. Football is my passion.

"But I am [almost] 50 years old and fulfilled. I am happy, and that's the most important thing."

 

Zidane also addressed his infamous World Cup final headbutt on Marco Materazzi at Germany 2006, which saw him sent off for France as they went on to lose to Italy on penalties.

"I'm not proud of what I've done, but it's part of my journey," he reflected. "Even in a person's life, not everything is done perfectly."

Related items

  • PSG star Mbappe could miss Champions League first leg against Bayern with hamstring injury PSG star Mbappe could miss Champions League first leg against Bayern with hamstring injury

    Kylian Mbappe looks likely to miss Paris Saint-Germain's Champions League last-16 first-leg tie against Bayern Munich with a hamstring injury.

    The 24-year-old striker sustained the muscle problem in the first half of PSG's 3-1 Ligue 1 victory at Montpellier on Wednesday and is set to miss around three weeks of action.

    The French champions released a statement on Thursday to reveal Mbappe's estimated recovery time, which if accurate would mean he will miss league games against Toulouse, Monaco and Lille, as well as the Coupe de France clash with Marseille and their Champions League first leg at home to Bayern, which takes place on February 14.

    "After examinations, Kylian Mbappe suffered from a lesion of the left thigh at the level of the femoral biceps. His recovery time is estimated at three weeks," PSG said.

    Mbappe – who has 25 goals in 26 appearances for PSG this season – had a game to forget on Wednesday, having also had a penalty saved, including a retake before somehow also lifting the rebound over the bar, and then coming off with his injury in the 21st minute.

    The club also confirmed that Sergio Ramos will undergo "further examinations" after the veteran Spanish centre-back also came off against Montpellier having appeared to suffer a head injury.

  • Jamaica names squad for CONCACAF Under-17 Men's Championships Jamaica names squad for CONCACAF Under-17 Men's Championships

    Head coach Merron Gordon and his staff have selected the 20-man squad which will represent Jamaica at the Concacaf U17 Men’s Championship in Guatemala from February 11-26.

    He also named four reserves who will continue to train with the team as changes can be made in case of injury, as late as match day minus one.

    Gordon’s assistant coaches will be Andrew Peart and Vassel Reynolds while Andrew Sewell will serve as goalkeeping coach.

    The rest of the staff reads: Ronald Watson (Kit Man), Wendell Downswell (Technical Director), Lamar Morgan (Physical Trainer), Dr. Edmund Regis (Team Doctor), Remawn Thomas (Team Manager), Alvin Green (Masseur), Tajay Bailey (Physiotherapist), Baron Watson (HOD).

    The delegation departs on February 9.

    The squad is as follows: Taywayne Lynch (Mount Pleasant Academy), Joshua Grant (Inter Miami FC), Ahir Dixon (Mount Pleasant Academy), Alexavier Gooden (Cavalier SC), Malik Robinson (Unattached), Nashon Bolt (Unattached), Ronaldo Barrett (Cavalier SC), Adrian Reid (Cavalier SC), Malachi Molina (FC Dallas Academy), Brandon Bent (Inter Miami FC Academy), Ja-son White (Unattached), Jordan Mantagal (South Florida Academy), Everald Swaby (Unattached), Jahmani Bell (Phoenix Academy), Dusting Cohen (Vere United FC), Orane Watson (Harbour View FC), Nicholas Simmonds (Richmond United Academy), Adrian Mahoney (Toronto FC Academy), Ashton Gordon (Atlanta United Academy), Dyllan John (Phoenix Academy).

    Reserves: Odane Wilberforce (Mount Pleasant Academy), Samir Bloise (FC Prime), Ryan Heron (Orlando City FC), Che-Daniel Gardner (Unattached).

  • Charges against Man Utd forward Mason Greenwood dropped Charges against Man Utd forward Mason Greenwood dropped

    Criminal proceedings against Manchester United forward Mason Greenwood have been discontinued, the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) has announced.

    The 21-year-old was arrested in January 2022 and was due to stand trial in November on accusations of attempted rape, assault and coercive control.

    However, the CPS confirmed on Thursday that all charges have been dropped.

    A statement read: "Mason Greenwood was charged in October 2022 with one count of attempted rape, one count of controlling and coercive behaviour and one count of assault occasioning actual bodily harm.

    "A decision has been made to discontinue prosecution in accordance with the Code of Crown Prosecutors."

    A CPS spokesperson said: "We have a duty to keep cases under continuous review.

    "In this case a combination of the withdrawal of key witnesses and new material that came to light meant there was no longer a realistic prospect of conviction. In these circumstances, we are under a duty to stop the case.

    "We have explained our decision to all parties. We would always encourage any potential victims to come forward and report to police and we will prosecute wherever our legal test is met."

    Chief Superintendent Michaela Kerr, Greater Manchester Police's Head of Public Protection, said: "Given the significant media coverage of this case, it is only fair that we share the news that the 21-year-old man, who had been arrested and charged in connection with an investigation opened in January 2022, no longer faces criminal proceedings in relation to this.

    "The investigation team has remained in regular contact with the legal team, providing any updates of note, and so understand the rationale for the discontinuation of proceedings at this stage, and that this decision has not been taken lightly.

    "Despite the media and public’s interest in this case, we have decided not to comment on it in any further detail."

    Greenwood last played for United on January 22 last year in a 1-0 victory against West Ham before being suspended by the club.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.