EPL

Arsenal and Milan target Lang wants transfer 'to take next step'

By Sports Desk June 16, 2022

Club Brugge star Noa Lang suggested he is unaware of Milan transfer advances, but would be open to a move "to take the next step" amid reported interest from Arsenal as well.

Lang scored seven goals in 37 Belgian Pro League appearances in the 2021-22 campaign as Brugge lifted their 18th league title in history and third in a row.

The 22-year-old also appeared in all six of Brugge's Champions League outings, though the Belgian side won just one in a tough group with Manchester City, Paris Saint-Germain and RB Leipzig.

Featuring in Europe only served to further the value of Lang, who is said to have long been a target of Arsenal, along with Premier League side Leeds United.

Reports in Italy indicated Serie A winners Milan are also interested in the forward, but he assures no agreement has been reached with Stefano Pioli's side.

"There is no agreement with AC Milan or anything. I don't know where this kind of news comes from," Lang told Belgian newspaper HLN.

"If I have to report to Club Brugge again, I will do so with all my love. I love the club and will give the full 100 per cent."

The Netherlands international expressed his desire to move on from the Belgian Pro League, though, as he looks to impress Louis van Gaal ahead of the World Cup later this year.

"The agreement with Brugge is that it must come to a transfer, both parties agree on that. I want to continue to develop and so I have to take a step," he added.

"But I'm not afraid of that, I have to keep developing myself. If I go to a bigger club, I will probably become a better footballer. Then I train and play with a higher intensity. I only see benefits towards the World Cup.

However, Lang believes the thinking behind Van Gaal's selection has changed, with the Netherlands coach open to picking players who may not always be playing for their club.

"The national coach has abandoned his vision, as he says himself," he continued. 

"But then again: if I go to another club, I also want to play a lot. I have to enforce that myself. Whether it is at the top or just below."

Related items

  • Kessie relishes 'great' opportunity with Barcelona Kessie relishes 'great' opportunity with Barcelona

    Franck Kessie revealed he is excited to get to work at Barcelona, after the Spanish club confirmed his signing earlier this week.

    On Monday, the Blaugrana announced the signings of both Kessie and Andreas Christensen, with their contracts expiring at Milan and Chelsea respectively this off-season.

    It has nevertheless been a busy period for Barcelona as they look to balance their books, with reports linking Frenkie de Jong and Ousmane Dembele to moves away in the event they do not lower their wages.

    After helping the Rossoneri secure the Serie A title last season, Kessie insists he is looking forward to working under Xavi, despite uncertainty over where he will actually play in midfield.

    "When Xavi calls you, you see that all your efforts have been worth it," he said upon arriving in Barcelona. "I can't wait to start working with him and my colleagues.

    "It is a great opportunity. Barca is a great team, and I am very happy. I really want to start and give my best. I am a player who works hard on a day-to-day basis to end up winning things.

    "Where I play, the coach will decide. He will know where I can best help the team."

    The 25-year-old played in a variety of positions under Stefano Pioli in Milan, even spending parts of last season as an attacking midfielder.

    He was a dependable figure last season as well, only missing three league games, with the exception of international duty during January's African Cup of Nations.

    The Ivorian also revealed he hopes to emulate the feats of his compatriot and "idol" Yaya Toure, who won his lone Champions League with Barcelona in 2009.

    "My idol is Yaya Toure," Kessie said. "He is a great player and an Ivorian, like me. I have been lucky enough to play with him and I want to have a career as good as his."

  • Benedetto misses two penalties as Corinthians, Atletico Mineiro advance in Copa Libertadores Benedetto misses two penalties as Corinthians, Atletico Mineiro advance in Copa Libertadores

    Corinthians progressed to the quarter-finals of the Copa Libertadores on Tuesday without the injured Willian, going through 6-5 on penalties after two goalless legs.

    After Boca scraped a draw in the first leg in Sao Paulo, they were given a chance to take the early lead from the spot, after a VAR intervention penalised Raul Gustavo's errant elbow.

    Despite sending Cassio the wrong way, Dario Benedetto smacked his effort against the frame of the goal, critically maintaining parity in the tie.

    The 32-year-old had the best chance of the second half for Boca as well, but his chip in transition floated just over when put through by Sebastian Villa.

    In the shoot-out, back-to-back penalty saves from Agustin Rossi were not able to save Benedetto, who skied his second penalty before Gil eventually put the Timao through.

    Hulk sends CAM through

    Atletico Mineiro left it late but secured their progression to the quarter-finals, defeating Emelec 1-0 in Belo Horizonte to go through 2-1 on aggregate.

    Antonio Mohamed's side struggled for significant portions of the first leg but dominated possession and territory in the return, with 21 shots to six on the night 

    Hulk's 79th-minute penalty ultimately proved the difference, calmly slotting past Pedro Ortiz.

    Romulo salvages draw and progression for Athletico-PR

    Athletico Paranaense snatched a late 1-1 draw in Asuncion, advancing to the quarter-finals by winning 3-2 on aggregate.

    The Paraguayan champions forced themselves level on aggregate through veteran Roque Santa Cruz in the fourth minute of first-half injury time, scoring via a wonderful solo dribble and finish.  

    When the tie looked set for penalties, Romulo dramatically secured passage for Luiz Felipe Scolari's side, picking up the rebound from his own header to score in the 90th minute.

  • Inaki Williams to represent Ghana, Tariq Lamptey to follow Inaki Williams to represent Ghana, Tariq Lamptey to follow

    Athletic Club's Inaki Williams announced he will opt to represent Ghana in international football on Tuesday, having previously played for Spain.

    Born in Bilbao to Ghanaian parents, Williams has made one appearance for La Roja at senior international level but in a friendly, coming on as a substitute against Bosnia and Herzegovina in 2016.

    Also part of Spain's run to the Under-21 Euro 2017 final, Williams' ability to switch allegiance falls under FIFA's eligibility rules change of 2003, when Tim Cahill opted to play for Australia after representing Western Samoa at junior level.

    Posting on social media, the 28-year-old striker believes it is an opportunity to cultivate a deeper connection to his origins.

    "Every step we take forward has its own meaning - a glance into the future which leaves a trace itself," he said. "A legacy. My parents have raised me with values based on humility, respect and love.

    "That's why I feel the moment has come for me to find my origins within myself and with Africa and Ghana which means so much to me and my family."

    At club level, Williams holds the LaLiga record for consecutive appearances at 233 games, after breaking the previous mark of 202 in October.

    Ghana Football Association president Kurt Okraku also tweeted Tariq Lamptey, Stephan Ambrosius, Patric Pfeiffer and Ransford Yeboah are all set to confirm their allegiance to the Black Stars.

    All five diaspora members could bolster Ghana's prospects at this year's World Cup, where they have been grouped with Portugal, Uruguay and South Korea.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.