EPL

Grealish has 'learned a huge amount' at Man City, claims England boss Southgate

By Sports Desk June 10, 2022

Jack Grealish has "learned a huge amount" at Manchester City, according to England manager Gareth Southgate.

Grealish became the most expensive player in British football history last year when he moved to City from boyhood club Aston Villa for £100million, but only recorded 10 goal involvements in his first season at the Etihad Stadium (six goals, four assists).

He made 39 appearances in all competitions (31 starts) for Pep Guardiola's side, but did create more chances from open play (76) than every other City player apart from Kevin De Bruyne (94).

The 26-year-old came off the bench for England on Tuesday and impressed as the Three Lions were able to force a late 1-1 draw against Germany in Munich.

Speaking ahead of his team's next Nations League clash with Italy, Southgate told a news conference he has seen improvements in Grealish since his big money move to City, where he won the Premier League title.

"It's important for all of our players that they feel that they understand how we want to play," Southgate said. 

"We give them a structure and we prepare them for the games, but within that, with their own talents and their own, we want them to come out. That's what makes the difference in the games.

"Jack had a fabulous impact on the game when he came on [against Germany]. I know he enjoys his football with us, but he also enjoys his football with his club, so I think it's important to say that. He has learned a huge amount being part of a team that has won the Premier League, which is massively important to him.

"He's a player we love working with. He's got a great mentality, a great character and I think he is a really good guy to have around the group. He has that joy having a football at his feet, which adds so much when you see players in training every day."

England will face Italy in a rematch of the Euro 2020 final on Saturday, and Southgate said the fact the game will be played behind closed doors at Molineux thanks to a ban imposed by UEFA after crowd trouble at Wembley before last year's final is an "embarrassment".

"If it is an embarrassment, it is for England as a country," he said. "A lot of the people that caused the problems I'm not certain were football fans.

"We spoke enough about it, we spoke about it after the final and when the punishment was first given, what I will say is the vast majority of our fans who travelled to Germany on Tuesday behaved brilliantly, a big thank you to them because maybe people were thinking something different but there were a huge majority who were a credit."

The England boss is expected to rotate his team as he looks for his first win of the Nations League campaign, and Southampton midfielder James Ward-Prowse is hoping he can take his chance if he is one of those fringe players selected.

"The manager highlighted before about seeing certain types of players in different types of games and hopefully if that opportunity comes then it's a good opportunity for me to showcase what I can do against a high level of opposition," the free-kick specialist said. "It will be a good opportunity to hopefully get some minutes.

"Everybody here is in the squad because they perform well for their club - and you can see that in training. The level is so, so high and having missed out on the European Championship squad, that was a big hurdle for me to overcome.

"I see this as a new challenge now, a new opportunity and I think that has given me a bit more of an incentive heading into this World Cup announcement that I want to be there, I want to be part of this fantastic group and hopefully replicate the success we had."

Related items

  • England youngster Jamie Bynoe-Gittens lands new Dortmund deal as Kehl drools at his potential England youngster Jamie Bynoe-Gittens lands new Dortmund deal as Kehl drools at his potential

    Jamie Bynoe-Gittens was hailed as a "very special" talent as the latest English star to dazzle for Borussia Dortmund signed a new long-term contract.

    England Under-19 star Bynoe-Gittens has committed to the German club until June 30, 2025, with the news emerging swiftly in the wake of his first Bundesliga goal.

    The 18-year-old scored an equaliser as Dortmund went on to beat Freiburg 3-1 last Friday, following in the footsteps of Jadon Sancho and Jude Bellingham in becoming another exciting young English player to emerge at the club.

    Bynoe-Gittens was acquired from Manchester City in September 2020 and played for Dortmund's age-group sides until recently breaking into the first-team ranks.

    He has played just 159 minutes in the Bundesliga, spread across one start and four substitute appearances, but Dortmund are massively excited about his potential.

    Sporting director Sebastian Kehl, a former Germany international, said: "Jamie's speed and creativity have always been excellent. With his unpredictability in one-on-one situations, he gives our squad a very special element even at his young age.

    "It's fun to watch him work on himself and his game. We think he still has a lot more potential for development, and we will give him the time he needs to do it."

    Dortmund announced the new deal in an official club statement, saying it was agreed last week.

    Bynoe-Gittens, who helped England win the Under-19 Euros in July, said the new Dortmund deal "means a lot to me".

    The teenager told the club's website: "It was always my goal to continue at BVB after the coronavirus and some injuries at the beginning of my journey that has just begun.

    "Now I can't wait to continue working hard on myself and my game to hopefully help the team in the coming months and years."

  • Di Maria blow as Juventus lose injured Argentinian for Sampdoria clash Di Maria blow as Juventus lose injured Argentinian for Sampdoria clash

    Juventus playmaker Angel Di Maria faces at least 10 days out of action after suffering an adductor injury in the 3-0 victory over Sassuolo.

    The Argentina international made his debut for the Serie A giants and opened the scoring before providing an assist for Dusan Vlahovic's second goal of the night – after the forward made it 2-0 from the penalty spot.

    Concern for Di Maria arose in the second period, however, as the former Paris Saint-Germain man was forced off through injury.

    Juventus have now announced Di Maria's situation will be reviewed in 10 days' time, meaning he must miss next Monday's clash against Sampdoria.

    A club statement read: "Angel Di Maria underwent radiological examinations this morning ... which revealed a low-grade lesion of the adductor longus muscle of the left thigh. The extent of the injury will be re-evaluated in 10 days."

    Juventus head coach Massimiliano Allegri stated after the final whistle that he was not worried about the potential setback for his recruit.

    Allegri told DAZN: "Unfortunately, these things happen in football. He had this adductor issue a week ago too. Perhaps I should've taken him off when we were 3-0 up, but he was enjoying himself out there."

  • Crystal Palace defender Andersen receives hundreds of abusive messages after Nunez red card Crystal Palace defender Andersen receives hundreds of abusive messages after Nunez red card

    Crystal Palace defender Joachim Andersen has highlighted the torrent of abuse he has received on social media following the club's 1-1 draw with Liverpool at Anfield.

    The Danish defender was involved in one of the biggest flashpoints of the game, when Reds forward Darwin Nunez headbutted Andersen and received a red card.

    Andersen was able to get under the skin of the Uruguayan, leading to a rise in frustrations and ultimately to Nunez's angry reaction after the pair clashed in the penalty box.

    While Liverpool were able to cancel out Wilfried Zaha's opener through Luis Diaz, the draw leaves them without a win from their opening two Premier League matches of the season and Andersen was a target for trolls on social media after the game.

    Revealing the abuse on Instagram, Andersen shared 17 images including death threats and abusive messages while urging football's governing bodies to take action.

    "Got maybe 300 to 400 of these messages last night. I understand you support a team but have some respect and stop acting tough online," he said.

    "I hope Instagram and the Premier League do something about this."

    Abuse against footballers on social media has been well documented in recent years and there have been frequent calls for more firm action to be taken.

    On Tuesday, a man was handed an eight-week suspended custodial sentence following racist abuse targeted at England footballers Bukayo Saka, Jadon Sancho and Marcus Rashford following their missed penalties in the European Championship final against Italy last year.

    Last April, English clubs announced a boycott of social media in response to discrimination and abuse aimed at footballers, pundits and other members of the footballing community.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.