Congested Nations League schedule 'too much' for players, says Germany boss Flick

By Sports Desk June 10, 2022

Germany coach Hansi Flick criticised the UEFA Nations League schedule, claiming teams are being forced to play too many games in a World Cup year.

Die Mannschaft have already played two of their League A fixtures and will play two further games against Hungary and Italy during this window of international games.

The Nations League group stages will wrap up with a pair of games in September.

Germany's players involved in June's games will have less time to recover ahead of the new domestic season, with the Bundesliga starting a week earlier than last campaign on August 5. The Champions League group stage, in which Germany has four participants, will begin on September 6 having started on September 14 last year.

And, with the rescheduled World Cup beginning in Qatar on November 21, Flick believes too much of a burden is being placed on his country's players.

Asked at a media conference ahead of Saturday's game with Hungary if the Nations League games were putting a strain on players, he replied: "I agree with that.

"Four matches are too many after such a season. You have to take the two years into account.

"We had a pandemic and a lot of matches piled up. We will be having 'English weeks' [two-match weeks]

"There will be almost no pre-season preparation then it's Bundesliga and Champions League matches every three, four days until the World Cup.

"This should be looked at and we need to ask ourselves how we can offer players a break because that is important.

"UEFA or FIFA should look into these things and take some measures.

"Now we have to prepare well, we have these four games. We accept them. It is tough for the players after a long season. But we accept it because all teams have the same starting points.

"What we are focusing on is to play a good World Cup in November."

Related items

  • Werner 'lost a bit of the fun' under Tuchel at Chelsea Werner 'lost a bit of the fun' under Tuchel at Chelsea

    Timo Werner "lost a bit of the fun" playing under Thomas Tuchel at Chelsea after losing his place in the side ahead of returning to RB Leipzig.

    Germany international Werner sealed a permanent move back to Leipzig last week, just two years on from joining Chelsea in a £47.5million (€50m) deal.

    Werner struggled to live up his price tag at Stamford Bridge as he scored just 10 Premier League goals in 56 appearances, and 23 goals in 89 games overall.

    The 26-year-old found playing time hard to come by in the 2021-22 campaign, starting just 15 out of a possible 38 league matches – only the 15th most of all Chelsea players.

    After bringing an end to his Stamford Bridge stay, Werner has explained he opted for a return to Leipzig as he wants to play regularly again with an eye on Qatar 2022.

    "For me, having fun playing football is the most important thing," Werner, who won the Champions League with Chelsea in 2021, told the Einfach mal Luppen podcast. 

    "I was very successful at Chelsea, but in the end I lost a bit of the fun because I didn't play regularly any more.

    "I think the coach's game system didn't suit me perfectly. So it was clear to me that I wanted to take a new step. I'm at an age where I want to play as much as I can."

    As well as playing a part in last year's Champions League triumph, Werner also won the European Super Cup and Club World Cup with Chelsea.

    Werner was spotted in the Stamford Bridge stands during Sunday's 2-2 draw with Tottenham and says he will forever be connected to the west London side.

    "I really associate Chelsea with great successes – the greatest of my career," he said. "It'll always be a special club for me. I'll stay in contact with many players from the team."

     

    Werner contributed to 40 goals in 89 appearances for Chelsea, which was bettered only by Mason Mount (46 goal involvements in 108 games) during his time at the club.

    The ex-Stuttgart star netted just 36 minutes into his second debut for Leipzig in last week's meeting with Koln, scoring from his only attempt, yet it was only enough for a 2-2 draw.

    "I would have liked a win to start," Werner said. "Still, I can't complain because the team have welcomed me back and I was involved right away.

    "We have a great squad here and, if we improve further, we can achieve a lot with this team in terms of trophies."

  • Mead, Oberdorf and Putellas in running for UEFA Women's Player of the Year award Mead, Oberdorf and Putellas in running for UEFA Women's Player of the Year award

    Beth Mead, Lena Oberdorf and Alexia Putellas have been announced as the final three contenders in the running to win the 2022 UEFA Women's Player of the Year accolade.

    The trio had been named on the initial shortlist of 22 players, which has now been whittled down to just three names ahead of next week's award ceremony in Istanbul.

    Arsenal attacker Mead is rewarded for an impressive showing at the Women's Euros, where she was crowned Player of the Tournament after leading the scoring charts in England's triumph on home soil.

    Oberdorf won the Young Player of the Tournament award after helping Germany to another final, having also played a crucial role in Wolfsburg winning the domestic double last season.

    Spain star Putellas was absent from the tournament through injury, but the 2021 Ballon d'Or Feminin winner enjoyed the most prolific season of her club career thanks to 34 goals in Barcelona's clean sweep of Spanish trophies in 2021-22.

    Wolfsburg and Germany striker Alex Popp narrowly missed out on the top three, while Aitana Bonmati of Barcelona and Spain finished fifth in the voting.

    UEFA also announced the Women's Coach of the Year nominees on Wednesday, with England coach Sarina Wiegman joined by Sonia Bompastor and Martina Voss-Tecklenburg of Lyon and Germany respectively.

  • Emery braced for 'unwanted' exits amid Foyth to Barca talk Emery braced for 'unwanted' exits amid Foyth to Barca talk

    Villarreal head coach Unai Emery is braced for "unwanted" departures before the transfer window closes amid reports that Juan Foyth is a target for Barcelona.

    Barca are said to have turned their attention to right-back Foyth after Cesar Azpilicueta decided to stay at Chelsea.

    The Yellow Submarine are reported to have told LaLiga rivals Barca they would have to fork out €42million to take the Argentina international to Camp Nou before the end of the month.

    Emery, who signed a five-year deal when he joined Villarreal from Tottenham in June 2021, revealed Foyth is not fit for a Europa Conference League play-off tie against Hajduk Split on Thursday.

    Yeremy Pino has been linked with Emery's former club Arsenal and Emery knows he may lose key men, but says both players are happy at the club.

    He said during a press conference on Wednesday: "It is not affecting us. The market closes on August 31 and it does not make much sense, although those who make the decision will see some sense.

    "In England they wanted to change the date, but in the end it was detrimental to the English market. The logical thing would be close at the beginning of August. Juan Foyth is not going to be here tomorrow because he has discomfort.

    "What can affect us is that there may be unwanted exit movements. What harms the most is something unforeseen, such as a significant clause payment or the player considers an offer very attractive."

    He added: "About these latest rumours that have come out of Yeremy and Foyth, we are testing how the players can be. Foyth is very happy here, grateful to the club and to what he is experiencing here with us.

    "He gives me a lot of peace of mind. He is not available. You have to know what the club thinks, which we know, and the player, which we already know. What Barcelona thinks, I don't know."

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.