Will Jacks looks at positives after England central contract snub

By Sports Desk December 02, 2023

Will Jacks might be one of the figures charged with leading England’s ODI revival but he discovered he had missed out on a central contract through social media.

A total of 29 individuals received an annual, multi-year or developmental England deal in October but despite playing in every international format in the last 12 months, Jacks was curiously absent from the bunch.

Even more striking is Jacks’ admission that he was not forewarned by director of men’s cricket Rob Key ahead of an announcement, the timing of which midway through a faltering World Cup was criticised.

Jacks has since had some feedback about the snub but the big-hitting all-rounder takes the positives from not being tied down and is likely to explore the lucrative T20 franchise market in the next few months.

Representing England remains his top priority, though, and he has been tasked with opening the batting alongside Phil Salt, who also did not get a central contract, as Jos Buttler’s ODI side look to draw a line under a woeful World Cup in the series opener against the West Indies on Sunday.

“It’s a bit of a difficult one, I didn’t really find out at all,” he said. “I knew everyone was hearing and I was waiting, hoping I would find out and then I didn’t. I ended up seeing it on Twitter like everyone else did and that was obviously disappointing.

“Maybe it came one or two tours early and maybe if I’d played a little bit more, maybe I would have had one. They said it is always about why other people have one above me which is understandable, nothing really negative about me.

“It’s just what it is and I just want to move on. You never know, it could work in my favour. It means I’m free to plan my winter and my life but I will be using this tour and hopefully the rest of the year to prove my case to hopefully get one for next year.”

Jacks has made a dozen appearances in his embryonic international career but his fearless approach with the bat and ever-improving off-spin make him an appealing option for England’s next Test assignment in India in the new year.

But Jacks has committed himself to the SA20 – South Africa’s domestic T20 competition – which clashes with the five-match series on the subcontinent.

“Obviously England is the pinnacle and I want to play as much as I can but what (not getting a contract) has done is it’s almost managed my expectations,” Jacks said.

“The India Test matches have obviously been in the back of everyone’s mind for the recent period – such a massive series and there’s all the talk about spin and the need for all-rounders and having a deep squad.

“Instead of me thinking that I was going to be picked, I’m now thinking ‘if they wanted to pick me then realistically, I would have been given a contract’. The fact that they haven’t given me one probably says something.”

Jacks is set to be in India at some point early in 2024, having been one of nine Englishmen retained by their Indian Premier League franchises, despite a thigh injury ruling him out of contention for Royal Challengers Bangalore last year.

Having missed out on England’s miserable defence of their 50-over World Cup, Jacks is desperate to be involved in the T20 equivalent in the Caribbean in June.

The 25-year-old is therefore eager to take his chance on a reconnaissance job in these three ODIs followed by three T20s.

“I just want to play some cricket,” he added. “I love playing for England but if I’m not selected then I’m very happy playing T20 cricket.

“There’s a World Cup coming up in June here so it will be good to get used to these conditions and that’s a priority for me.”

Related items

  • Glenn Phillips grabs five wickets as New Zealand cling to hope Glenn Phillips grabs five wickets as New Zealand cling to hope

    New Zealand kept their hopes in the first Test alive as Glenn Phillips took five wickets to bowl Australia out and set a target of 369 on the third day in Wellington.

    Nightwatchman Nathan Lyon was the unlikely top scorer for Australia, falling on 41 with his first Test 50 in sight.

    Cameron Green continued his form with 34, but all-rounder Phillips spun his way to five wickets and was on a hat-trick after removing Travis Head for 29 and dismissing Mitch Marsh with the next ball.

    Phillips finished with 5-45 as Australia were all out for 164.

    The Australians struck early in the Blackcaps innings, Lyon dismissing Tom Latham and Kane Williamson for single-digit scores, before part-timer Head removed Will Young for 15.

    Rachin Ravindra (56 not out) and Daryl Mitchell (12 not out) dug in for the rest of the day.

    Two days remain with New Zealand requiring 257 pull off what would be an incredible victory.

  • Matthew Potts targeting England recall after ‘massive step forward’ with Lions Matthew Potts targeting England recall after ‘massive step forward’ with Lions

    Matthew Potts is ready to press his claims for a Test recall this summer after a starring role for England Lions in India saw the seamer take “a massive step forward”.

    The Durham bowler missed out on the senior tour, which concludes in Dharamsala next week with the tourists 3-1 down, but grabbed his opportunity with England’s second string with both hands.

    In three four-day matches against India A, Potts was the most prolific wicket-taker from either side, claiming 20 scalps at an average of 16.95, including back-to-back six-fors.

    With all six of his Tests caps coming on home soil, Potts believes the experience has already made him a better player and hopes it can provide a springboard for the next phase of his international career.

    “Of course I was disappointed not to get in the 16 for India, anyone in my position would be, but I’ve used the chance to learn with the Lions,” he told the PA news agency.

    “It was nice to put some performances together out there on pitches that weren’t offering me too much. It’s been a case of proving to myself, and hopefully showing the selectors, that I’m heading in the right direction.

    “It was a massive step forward for me in my journey as a cricketer, because I want to be a rounded bowler – not just someone who is useful in England. It was good, hard cricket and big learning experience.

    “You’ve got to work slightly harder out there because of the temperatures and the pitches but that’s to be expected; if you find it easy then you’re doing it wrong because you’re not learning.

    “I’ve built up some knowledge and some wisdom out there and if there’s a slot open (with England) know I can be effective. There will be spots available to compete for this summer and I have an eye on that. I’m going to keep doing what I’m doing, nudging my name forward, see what happens.”

    Potts, who was handed a two-year central contract in October, is now planning to throw himself into pre-season with promoted Durham after two prolific campaigns in Division Two.

    With Stuart Broad now retired, Ollie Robinson’s status uncertain after a disappointing return to the side in Ranchi and Gus Atkinson so far untried at Test level, there is a route opening for a 25-year-old with 23 Test wickets at 29.26 and the likes of Kane Williamson and Virat Kohli among his victims.

    “I leave selection to selectors, they pick the best squads they can to do the job, and I can only control my end and put in performances,” he said.

    “When you’re not selected you try and glean as much information as you can and work out where you can get better. Look at Jimmy Anderson, 41 and still working, still getting better.

    “I didn’t change too much in India but I worked on different methods of dismissal. There were very few outside edges so I was looking for lbws and bowled, trying to hit the stumps a bit more often, and that’s another string to my bow.

    “I want to get out there bowling, taking wickets and winning games of cricket for Durham. That’s what got me into the England team in the first place.”

  • India batter Virat Kohli announces birth of child on social media India batter Virat Kohli announces birth of child on social media

    India batter Virat Kohli has announced the birth of his son in a post on social media.

    The former captain previously announced he would miss the first two Tests of England’s tour due to personal reasons, before withdrawing from the rest of the series.

    Kohli and wife Anushka Sharma wrote on X and Instagram: “With abundant happiness and our hearts full of love. We are pleased to inform everyone that on 15th February we welcomed our baby boy Akaay and Vamika’s little brother into this world.

    “We seek your blessings and good wishes in this beautiful time in our lives. We kindly request you to respect our privacy at this time.”

    England won the first Test but lost the next two and will be aiming to level the series when the fourth Test starts in Ranchi on Friday.

© 2023 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.