Early onslaught sees Royals cruise to victory over Sunrisers

By Sports Desk April 02, 2023

Early dominance in both innings from Rajasthan Royals saw them cruise to a comfortable 72-run triumph over Sunrisers Hyderabad on Sunday to open their IPL campaign with a win.

Runners-up last season, Rajasthan had strong performances from Jos Buttler with the bat and Trent Boult with the ball to thank as they overwhelmed their opponents.

Hyderabad won the toss and put the Royals in to bat first, a decision that proved to be a poor one as openers Buttler and Yashasvi Jaiswal smashed a team record of 85 runs in the powerplay, with the former reaching his half-century off just 20 balls before he was cleaned up by Fazalhaq Farooqi.

Though the Royals' run rate slowed following Buttler's dismissal for 54, Jaiswal (54) and captain Sanju Samson (55) both reached half-centuries while Shimron Hetmyer added 22 in an important cameo as Rajasthan set Hyderabad a target of 204.

The Sunrisers' chase faltered almost immediately, Boult removing Abhishek Sharma and Rahul Tripathi in the opening over without a run on the board before danger man Harry Brook saw his first IPL innings ended with just 13 from 21 deliveries when he was bowled by Yuzvendra Chahal.

Wickets continued to tumble as Chahal impressed, taking 4-17 to eradicate any chances of a miraculous Hyderabad chase and see his team to an emphatic victory.

Royals' top order set unassailable target

Despite taking just 43 runs off the final five overs, Rajasthan's top order had already put them in good stead, recording the fifth most powerplay runs in IPL history.

Their top three batsmen all reached 50 as Buttler and Jaiswal piled on the runs early before a captain's innings from Samson helped the Royals set a target that Hyderabad never looked like knocking off.

Boult blitz stamps out Hyderabad's hopes

Any chance of a successful Sunrisers' run chase was essentially stamped out within the first over as a double-wicket maiden from Boult had them staring down the barrel of defeat.

Rajasthan opted to use Boult's pace early and often, the New Zealander bowling three of the first five overs, conceding just eight runs in that spell before eventually finishing with figures of 2-21.

Related items

  • Archer has 'exceeded expectations', says Buttler following England comeback Archer has 'exceeded expectations', says Buttler following England comeback

    Jos Buttler has praised Jofra Archer upon his return to international cricket at the 2024 T20 World Cup. 

    Archer spent over a year on the sidelines nursing an elbow injury following a recurrence of a stress fracture that ruled him out of summer cricket 12 months ago.

    The 29-year-old has taken five wickets for Matthew Molt's side, the latest coming in their 41-run triumph over Namibia as they progressed to the Super 8 stage following Australia's win over Scotland. 

    "We were in and out looking at the weather and Jofra was asleep on the bench - he's in a really good place," said Buttler.

    "I’m just delighted to see him back in an England shirt playing on the big stage."

    Archer's struggles with injury have persisted for the last three years, missing England's 2023 Ashes series against the Aussies. 

    The fast bowler played a pivotal role in Three Lions' ODI World Cup success in 2019, and has recaptured that form which saw him take 20 wickets during that tournament.

    Archer has captured a wicket in each of England's World Cup fixtures, averaging an economy rate of 5.91, only bettered by Reece Topley (3.60). 

    Buttler has been impressed with the 29-year-old's form in the opening stages of the tournament, but revealed his progress has exceeded his expectations. 

    "He’s been fantastic and is an amazing guy to have in the team to throw the ball to," said Buttler.

    "He’s exceeded certainly my expectations for where he would be at. He was probably expecting that of himself."

  • Boult confirms meeting with Papua New Guinea will be his final T20 World Cup match Boult confirms meeting with Papua New Guinea will be his final T20 World Cup match

    New Zealand's Trent Boult has confirmed that he will not play at another T20 World Cup.

    Boult, who has 32 wickets in 17 outings in the tournament, will prepare for the Black Caps' final game of this year's edition against Papua New Guinea on Monday.

    New Zealand exited a World Cup before the last four for the first time since 2014 after losing their opening games to Afghanistan and West Indies. 

    Despite earning their maiden win of the tournament against Uganda, Monday's fixture against Papua New Guinea means little for New Zealand.

    And 34-year-old Boult confirmed that match will be his final appearance at a T20 World Cup.

    "Speaking on behalf of myself, this will be my last T20 World Cup," Boult told the media.

    With him bowing out from the T20 World Cup, the Black Caps will now have to fill a gaping hole in their bowling attack for 2026.

    In the current squad, only three players will be under 30-years-old, with Tim Southee another standout name who looks set to step back in the coming years.

    Both Boult and Southee have played a pivotal role in recent ODI and T20 World Cups, and Boult is hopeful the latest edition of the competition will not be the last time he features alongside his good friend. 

    "I look at the partnership with Tim with very fond memories," he said. "We bowled a lot of overs together. I know the partnership very well, and obviously he's a very good friend on and off the ground.

    "It was nice to wind back the clock a little bit and see a bit of swing bowling at the top. Some great memories, and hopefully a couple more still to come."

  • Boult confirms meeting with Papau New Guinea will be his final T20 World Cup match Boult confirms meeting with Papau New Guinea will be his final T20 World Cup match

    New Zealand's Trent Boult has confirmed that he will not play at another T20 World Cup.

    Boult, who has 32 wickets in 17 outings in the tournament, will prepare for the Black Caps' final game of this year's edition against Papua New Guinea on Monday.

    New Zealand exited a World Cup before the last four for the first time since 2014 after losing their opening games to Afghanistan and West Indies. 

    Despite earning their maiden win of the tournament against Uganda, Monday's fixture against Papua New Guinea means little for New Zealand.

    And 34-year-old Boult confirmed that match will be his final appearance at a T20 World Cup.

    "Speaking on behalf of myself, this will be my last T20 World Cup," Boult told the media.

    With him bowing out from the T20 World Cup, the Black Caps will now have to fill a gaping hole in their bowling attack for 2026.

    In the current squad, only three players will be under 30-years-old, with Tim Southee another standout name who looks set to step back in the coming years.

    Both Boult and Southee have played a pivotal role in recent ODI and T20 World Cups, and Boult is hopeful the latest edition of the competition will not be the last time he features alongside his good friend. 

    "I look at the partnership with Tim with very fond memories," he said. "We bowled a lot of overs together. I know the partnership very well, and obviously he's a very good friend on and off the ground.

    "It was nice to wind back the clock a little bit and see a bit of swing bowling at the top. Some great memories, and hopefully a couple more still to come."

© 2023 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.