Rafiq refutes fresh anti-semitism and homophobia claims

By Sports Desk October 14, 2022

Azeem Rafiq refuted fresh allegations of anti-semitism and homophobia against him as "categorically untrue", with the former Yorkshire bowler saying he will "not be intimidated" by the claims.

The ex-spinner was found to have been racially harassed during his time at the club following an investigation in the wake of his own allegations in 2020, with several key figures subsequently resigning.

Yet he has been dogged by claims of his own misconduct, and was reprimanded earlier this month for historic social media posts, to which he offered an unreserved apology.

Fresh claims from the Daily Mail have now levelled allegations of further anti-semitism and homophobia, alongside reportedly fat-shaming children, which he strongly denied.

"These allegations are categorically untrue," he stated. "I knew as a whistleblower I would come under attack.

"What I did not expect was a never-ending, co-ordinated campaign of lies, which has caused serious risk to me and my family's safety.

"I have been vindicated over and over again, and will not be intimidated by those who seek to silence me."

Rafiq indicated this month he would move abroad over fears for his family's safety following his decision to speak out, having been subjected to further abuse and intimidation.

Related items

  • Meg Lanning: Exercise obsession and not enough fuel led to Australia retirement Meg Lanning: Exercise obsession and not enough fuel led to Australia retirement

    Former Australia captain Meg Lanning revealed her “obsession” with exercise and not eating enough precipitated her surprise international retirement late last year.

    Lanning was at the helm of one of the most dominant eras the sport has ever seen but she missed last year’s Ashes for medical reasons and pulled the plug on her Australia career in November.

    She opened up about her hidden health issues on the Howie Games podcast, explaining that running up to 90 kilometres a week coupled with eating two small meals a day led to her dropping from 64kg to 57kg.

    View this post on Instagram

    A post shared by Meg Lanning (@meglanning7)

    “I was over-exercising and under-fuelling,” the 32-year-old said. “It wasn’t a physical thing. I’ve always been really physically active and liked that side of it, but it became a bit of an obsession.

    “I’d maybe eat a couple of meals a day if I was lucky but they weren’t significant. Initially it didn’t start off as a deliberate thing, it just became a bit of a new normal.

    “But it slowly crept into conscious decisions because essentially I felt good.

    “I wasn’t getting injured like everybody was telling me I was going to do. It sort of just spiralled and I was in denial, even though everybody kept telling me something wasn’t quite right.

    “I was not in a place to be able to go on tour and play cricket and give the commitment levels that were required for that Ashes series, mentally and physically.”

    Lanning, who led Australia to five World Cup titles in total and Commonwealth Games glory in 2022, said her struggle was not officially diagnosed as an eating disorder.

    “It wasn’t labelled as that but I was exercising a lot and I wasn’t eating enough to fuel that – it was a bit out of whack,” Lanning said.

    “It was a bit of control because I felt very out of control with what my future looked like. I felt like I was in control of that and that made me feel better.”

    Lanning sought help from medical professionals after also struggling with insomnia and continues to play domestically, while she has been signed for London Spirit for The Hundred this year.

    “I dreaded night time because I knew I would go to bed and not be able to sleep,” she said. “That would make me so mad. I would just get more angry with myself. If you can’t sleep, you can’t do anything.

    “I feel like I’m in a good spot now. Cricket is still part of what I do. But I wasn’t cut out for the international touring schedule and what came with all of that.”

  • Yorkshire ‘surprised and disappointed’ at missing out in women’s cricket revamp Yorkshire ‘surprised and disappointed’ at missing out in women’s cricket revamp

    Yorkshire have been left “surprised and disappointed” after being overlooked by the England and Wales Cricket Board in the initial ‘tier one’ revamp of the women’s game.

    The governing body has awarded new professional teams to eight first-class counties, replacing the regional structure from next summer, but Yorkshire were edged out in what was effectively a head-to-head with Durham.

    Both Yorkshire and Glamorgan have been invited to join an expanded top flight in 2027, with funding to help prepare their coaching pathways, but the news has been met with an unhappy response from Headingley on the eve of the new women’s domestic campaign.

    The Northern Diamonds won the Rachael Heyhoe-Flint Trophy in 2022 and finished as runners-up in the previous two seasons.

    A statement from the club’s board read: “Yorkshire County Cricket Club are surprised and disappointed not to be awarded one of the initial Tier 1 women’s teams as part of the first allocations from the ECB.

    “The news is especially frustrating and upsetting for the players and staff at the Northern Diamonds. They have been trying to deal with it whilst preparing for their first game of the season in two days. Our focus is on supporting them through this difficult period and gaining as much clarity on what the future looks like.

    “Yorkshire has the largest active playing base of women and girls in the country, has produced many players that have gone on to represent England in the women’s game, winning the County Championship 16 times and Headingley has been successfully hosting the Northern Diamonds since 2020, so naturally the news has been tough to take.”

    The White Rose has endured a turbulent time in recent years, embattled by the Azeem Rafiq racism crisis and fighting major financial troubles leading to the controversial return of Colin Graves as chair.

    But there has been a renewed commitment to equality of opportunity at the club against that troubled backdrop, work which the board were keen to highlight.

    “Yorkshire has a rich ethnicity mix and as part of our ongoing work to be the most welcoming and inclusive cricket club in the country, we use women’s and girl’s cricket as the cornerstone to creating real, tangible value in those communities that need it the most,” it said.

    “We believe we hit all of the criteria set out as part of the tender, so we will be taking time to investigate and understand the detail behind the decision, assessing the best next steps for the club and most importantly ensuring we support the players and staff that are impacted.”

  • Yorkshire not in ECB’s new ‘Tier 1’ revamp of women’s professional game Yorkshire not in ECB’s new ‘Tier 1’ revamp of women’s professional game

    Yorkshire will have to wait until 2027 to take part in the England and Wales Cricket Board’s new ‘Tier 1’ revamp of the women’s professional game, after eight other counties were selected to lead the way.

    Durham, Essex, Hampshire, Lancashire, Nottinghamshire, Somerset, Surrey and Warwickshire have been chosen as hosts, with the governing body abolishing the existing regional structure in favour of alignment with the first-class counties.

    The blow to Yorkshire, for whom this is a further setback after several turbulent years on and off the field, has been mitigated by a promise to bring them into an expanded competition in the third season.

    Glamorgan have been given the same assurances and both will receive additional funding to help build their pathway.

    But there will be no ‘Tier 1’ cricket at Lord’s in the foreseeable future, with MCC declining to put itself forward and Middlesex among those overlooked. Sussex have also been left on the outside looking in, despite a long and strong commitment to the women’s game.

    They will be hoping to be included as the elite level continues to grow, with the ECB outlining plans to further expand to 12 teams by 2029.

    ECB chief executive Richard Gould said: “I’d like to congratulate those counties who have been successful in their bids.

    “I’m also delighted that in light of the support we have seen and the strength of the bids we have considered, we can accelerate our plans, including new top tier professional teams at Glamorgan and Yorkshire by 2027 with a further two being introduced by 2029.

    “More professional teams means more women able to make a career out of being a cricketer, more role models to inspire future generations, and more of the country having a women’s professional team to follow nearby.

    “I recognise today’s announcement will also be disappointing to those who haven’t been successful at this stage. But with the new three-tier structure we are introducing, there is still a huge opportunity for them to compete in the other tiers so together we can all realise the potential of women’s domestic cricket.”

    Beth Barrett-Wild, the ECB’s director of the women’s professional game, praised the calibre of offers from around the country.

    “At the start of this tender process we challenged the first-class counties to show us their vision for the women’s professional game and to demonstrate their desire and commitment to becoming one of our professional Tier 1 clubs,” she said.

    “Over the last couple of months it’s been brilliant to see the time and energy that has gone into the submissions, and I’ve been hugely impressed by the quality and ambition of the bids.

    “It’s clear that the game is united in wanting to take the women’s professional game forward. I’m energised about what comes next, for the counties themselves, for the players, for fans and for everyone who wants to see women’s cricket continue its accelerated trajectory.”

    The ECB has put £5million per year of new funding into the women’s domestic set-up, rising to £8million when Yorkshire and Glamorgan come aboard.

    It estimates a potential increase of 80 per cent in the number of professional female players.

    There will be no promotion or relegation between 2025 and 2028, allowing the new three-tier system to bed in.

© 2023 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.