Australia lose injured Marsh for rest of Zimbabwe ODI series

By Sports Desk August 30, 2022

Mitchell Marsh will miss the remainder of Australia's ODI series against Zimbabwe due to an ankle injury.

The all-rounder sustained minor damage to his ankle during the first match of the series in Townsville, which Australia won by five wickets.

Marsh has returned to Perth, but is expected to be fit for a three-match Twenty20 tour of India that starts on September 21.

Wicketkeeper-batter Josh Inglis has been called up as a replacement for the two remaining ODIs versus Zimbabwe.

Inglis will fly back from England, where he replaced Glenn Maxwell at London Spirit for The Hundred, to join up with the squad 

Steve Smith says ensuring Marsh is fit for the T20 World Cup on home soil is the priority.

"He's been playing some good white-ball cricket recently," Smith said of Marsh. "The way we set up our team the other day with bulk allrounders, he was a big part of that.

"It's disappointing for Mitch but there's some pretty important stuff coming up.

"He was a big part of our T20 World Cup campaign last year and I'm sure there's big plans for him this year. The priority is to get him right for that."

Related items

  • Livingstone to make Test debut as England begin tour of Pakistan Livingstone to make Test debut as England begin tour of Pakistan

    Liam Livingstone will make his Test debut for England when they begin their red-ball tour of Pakistan on Thursday.

    Livingstone will bat at number eight in Rawalpindi after seeing off competition from Will Jacks, as well as offering a spin-bowling option for Ben Stokes' side.

    Meanwhile, another significant change sees Ben Duckett come in for his first Test appearance since 2016, replacing Alex Lees at the top of the batting order.

    Asked about Livingstone's qualities, Stokes highlighted the way his style fits the aggressive philosophy of head coach Brendon McCullum.

    "He's one of those cricketers who can come on from anywhere and take a wicket when the ball's flowing the opposition's way," Stokes said.

    "It was a pretty simple conversation I had with him, actually before we went out to Australia for the [T20] World Cup. I obviously told him where we stood in terms of him playing some red-ball cricket out in the subcontinent.

    "With the skill he has with the ball and the way he plays with the bat, [he] is very aligned with how me and Baz want to see the team play. He jumped at the opportunity. 

    "He's a very natural cricketer, he's going to go out there and really express himself."

    England's three-Test series will be their first in Pakistan for 17 years, with safety concerns preventing the team from visiting after the Sri Lanka team bus was targeted by gunmen on a 2009 tour.

    England returned to the country for a seven-match T20I series during September and October this year, winning four of those contests.

  • Anderson ready to back aggressive approach as England prepare for Pakistan Test return Anderson ready to back aggressive approach as England prepare for Pakistan Test return

    James Anderson has backed Ben Stokes and Brendon McCullum's aggressive approach ahead of England's first Test against Pakistan, but acknowledges they are in the dark over what to expect on the pitch.

    The tourists kick off a three-match series in Rawalpindi on December 1, marking their first return to the country for red-ball cricket since 2005.

    England had not toured Pakistan in the wake of the Sri Lanka bus attack in 2009 until September this year, when they returned to the nation for a seven-game T20 series ahead of the World Cup.

    But having won six out of seven Tests on home turf under an all-guns-blazing approach from captain Stokes and coach McCullum, Anderson is ready to maintain the momentum on their trip overseas.

    "We've got a captain and coach that don't want draws," the 40-year-old told BBC Sport. "We're not playing for draws.

    "We don't know how it's going to play. Traditionally it is flat. We'll come out and try to win the game - we might have to be creative in how we do that."

    Though a member of the party for England's last Test tour of Pakistan in 2005, Anderson did not feature, but he did play in a string of ODI matches.

    That means the veteran red-ball specialist is in the dark on what to expect from his wicket, although he says he is still delighted to finally get the chance to play the longer format there.

    "It's great to be back," he said. "Seventeen years is a long time. It would be wrong if I said, 'The pitch is going to play like this', or, 'This is what to expect'.

    "There will be times when we have to soak up pressure. We get that.

    "But there will be times when we have to put pressure back on the opposition and the skill we're trying to develop is when to do that.

    "With the ball we're trying to take wickets. The captain and coach have made that quite clear - every time you run in to bowl it's about taking wickets - not about controlling the run-rate. It's about how we're going to get 20 wickets."

  • Cummins insists 'there's no cowards' in the Australia team Cummins insists 'there's no cowards' in the Australia team

    Australia Test captain Pat Cummins says there are no cowards in the team in light of Justin Langer's recent comments following his acrimonious exit as coach earlier this year.

    Cummins, speaking ahead of the first Test against the West Indies that starts in Perth on Wednesday, insisted there was no "ill will" towards Langer.

    Langer criticised anonymous "cowards" who leaked information against him during his time as Australia coach, when speaking to the Back Chat podcast which was released last week.

    The ex-Australian opener, who ultimately resigned from the role in February after only being offered a short-term extension, had tried to backtrack from those comments, stating the players were "like my younger brothers".

    Cummins moved to defend his teammates on Tuesday but reiterated there were no hard feelings with Langer.

    "There's no cowards in an Australian cricket team, not ever," Cummins told reporters. "I'd probably never disclose private conversations.

    "I think it's disappointing sometimes the focus gets drawn to off-field issues but it hasn't really affected our team."

    Cummins added: "I think there's no ill will to what he was trying to do and he clarified afterwards.

    "I think he had a think about it and clarified it, so thank him for that. But we're really proud of the last 12 months, how we've fronted up, the way we've played, the way we've conducted ourselves. Players can certainly hold their heads high."

    Cummins confirmed no surprises in the side's XI for the first Test with fast bowler Scott Boland and opening batsman Marcus Harris to be the two players to miss out from Australia's 13-man squad.

    "To be honest it is the most stable team I have played in ever," Cummins said. "You could probably have picked the side 12 months ago, I feel like we are in a good spot.

    "Everyone has done well to get them fit and firing for this series and we’re in a really good place. Easy decision."

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.