ECB confirms Surrey's Thompson as next chair

By Sports Desk August 06, 2022

The England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) has confirmed Richard Thompson as its next chair, succeeding interim boss Martin Darlow next month.

The Surrey County Cricket Club chair will leave his current post to take up a five-year term on September 1 after he was unanimously recommended by the ECB's nominations committee.

"I am immensely proud to become Chair of the ECB at what is a hugely important time for cricket," Thompson stated.

"Cricket has given me the chance to meet an incredibly diverse range of amazing people. Their passion, endeavour and love for the game is what I want to harness, to take our game forward, to new heights.

"With the Ashes on the horizon, [the] ICC Men's T20 World Cup in October and the recent successes in our red ball game, along with hosting the ICC Women's T20 World Cup in 2026 there is much ahead of us."

The ECB's top position has been vacant since Ian Watmore stood down last October, with Barry O'Brien, and then Darlow, holding the job on an interim basis.

In the intervening period, the men's red-ball and white-ball teams have both seen a change of leadership, with Ben Stokes taking charge of the Test team and Jos Buttler handed the armband in T20 and ODI matches.

The former will play South Africa in a three-match series later this month, while the latter will step up their World Cup preparations against Pakistan in September.

Related items

  • South Africa paceman Olivier ruled out of England Test series South Africa paceman Olivier ruled out of England Test series

    South Africa paceman Duanne Olivier has been ruled out of the Test series against England due to a hip injury.

    The quick sustained a grade two right hip flexor muscle tear during the Proteas' crushing innings-and-56-run defeat to the England Lions at Canterbury.

    South Africa have not called up a replacement ahead of a three-match series that starts at Lord's on Wednesday.

    "Duanne presented with significant discomfort involving his right hip flexor muscle at the close of play on day three of the four-day tour match," team doctor Hashendra Ramjee said.

    "After clinical assessment, he was referred for an MRI scan which revealed a grade two tear involving the right pectineus muscle.

    "Due to the extent of the injury, he has been ruled out of the three-match Test series against England and will return home where he will commence his rehabilitation with the Gauteng Central Lions medical team."

    The tourists also have a doubt over fellow quick Kagiso Rabada, who has been sidelined by an ankle injury.

    They are not short of pace options, though, with Lungi Ngidi, Anrich Nortje, Marco Jansen, Glenton Stuurman and Lutho Sipamla in the squad.

  • Tuchel backs Gallagher and Hudson-Odoi to fight for minutes at Chelsea Tuchel backs Gallagher and Hudson-Odoi to fight for minutes at Chelsea

    Thomas Tuchel has backed Conor Gallagher and Callum Hudson-Odoi to fight their way into first-team contention at Chelsea. 

    However, the Blues boss was philosophical when asked whether either England international could leave in the transfer window, adding: "Nobody is for sale, and everybody is for sale."

    Gallagher appeared as a late substitute in Chelsea's opening-day Premier League win over Everton last week, while Hudson-Odoi was absent from the Blues' squad at Goodison Park.

    Both players have been linked with moves away due to the competition for places at Stamford Bridge, with Hudson-Odoi a reported target for Borussia Dortmund and Gallagher widely admired after racking up eight Premier League goals and three assists on loan at Crystal Palace last term.

    While Tuchel recognises N'Golo Kante, Jorginho and Mateo Kovacic represent stern competition for Gallagher, he wants to see him realise his undoubted promise at Chelsea.

    "Conor fights in central midfield," Tuchel said ahead of Sunday's Premier League clash with Tottenham. "To be honest, it is a very tough fight for him because, at the moment, it seems we only have two places in central midfield. 

    "Given the amount of players we have for central midfield, it isn't ideal, I agree. But we have to do what's best for the squad, not just for each individual player.

    "But at the moment, he is absolutely fine. I am a huge fan of Conor. He is a fantastic guy, and this is what we already knew, in the first weeks of training, he has shown how much of a step he has made through having so much playing time.

    "It is a very, very normal situation and his development is that at the moment, after some fantastic training sessions in the beginning, there is a little dip in his form and freshness. 

    "On top of that, there's a huge competition with N'Golo, Jorgi and Kova, who are used to playing with each other. 

    "This is also life in a big club like Chelsea, so everything is in its right place. We are happy with him. He keeps on fighting, and this is what he does. I think he has everything to become very important in the next years at Chelsea."

    Hudson-Odoi has been linked with a move to the Bundesliga on several occasions, having only started 32 Premier League games for Chelsea since his 2018 debut, but Tuchel is also keen to hold onto him.

    "Callum is the same. He had a long-term injury and long-term problems to overcome," Tuchel said. "I think he still has a way to go to live up to his potential. His potential is huge. 

    "I think having Raheem [Sterling] in can give him an extra boost to step up and see what's needed in these kinds of positions to reach the levels he can honestly reach. 

    "But at the moment, he is our player, and he needs to fight, fight, fight. I have nothing more to say."

    But with over two weeks remaining in the transfer window, Tuchel refused to rule out a change in the club's strategy.

    "In general, nobody is for sale,", Tuchel added. "Nobody is for sale, and everybody is for sale. 

    "It depends on what the player wants, how bad the player wants it, what we think about who is ready to pay a certain amount of money, and then maybe everybody is for sale."

  • Laxman to be India's head coach in Zimbabwe as Dravid takes a break Laxman to be India's head coach in Zimbabwe as Dravid takes a break

    VVS Laxman will take over as India head coach for the upcoming ODI series in Zimbabwe as Rahul Dravid takes a break.

    Dravid has been given time off ahead of the Asia Cup, which starts on August 27, so fellow India legend Laxman will step up in his absence.

    Laxman, the head of the National Cricket Academy, also took on head coach duties for the tour of Ireland.

    India batting coach Vikram Rathourthe and bowling coach Paras Mhambrey have also been given time off, so Hrishikesh Kanitkar and Sairaj Bahutule will fill in for them in Zimbabwe.

    Kanitkar was in charge of India's Under-19 Cricket World Cup winning team this year, and this will be his first assignment at senior level.

    KL Rahul has been passed fit to captain India after recovering from injury and COVID-19.

    The first of three ODIs at the Harare Sports Club will take place next Thursday.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.