'You wake up and you know' – Morgan felt the time was right for international retirement

By Sports Desk June 28, 2022

Eoin Morgan says he knew the time was right to step away from international cricket after the England white-ball captain confirmed his international retirement.

Morgan announced he would be quitting the side on Tuesday, leaving England needing to appoint a new skipper less than four months before the start of the T20 World Cup in Australia.

He skippered England to their first Cricket World Cup title on home soil in 2019, but has struggled for form as of late, with a pair of ducks in their three-match series against the Netherlands earlier this month.

The Dublin-born batter took the armband in late 2014, but admitted the time is now for him to leave his role, with his struggles against the Dutch the final push needed for him to make the call.

"I've been open and honest about when the time would come, over the last three years," Morgan told Sky Sports. "I've engaged a lot with ex-players about when they stopped, how it came about.

"Each person said there's a time and a place when it hits you, or that you wake up and you know, and that moment came for me in Amsterdam.

"I think it's a culmination of a lot of things that over the course of my international career, which has been a long time, I've just come to the end.

"I'm glad I was in a sound enough space to understand that feeling and be aware of what it meant, and also what it means both for the England white-ball side and me in my personal life.

"The day it hit me was quite a sad day, reaching the end of such a special journey. But since that day I've been incredibly proud, content with the decision and excited for English cricket going forward.

Morgan had previously spoken to new England Test coach Brendon McCullum about retirement before, and explained that advice reinforced his decision.

"Baz is one of my close mates," he added. "I've spoke to him about retirement for a long time, and particularly around his, and the transition for him, and he said 'you will know, there'll be a feeling that hits you, just recognise it when it comes'."

Asked if he would like to stay involved in the England set-up, the 35-year-old said: "I think at the moment the best thing is for me to come out of it, let the new captain find his feet, build a relationship with the new coach and ultimately drive towards the next World Cup.

"They come thick and fast, and the potential the team has is unbelievable. I'm excited to sit back and watch, I'm lucky to be a part of such a special time, but I think what's to come might be even more special."

Jos Buttler is tipped to succeed Morgan as captain, with new white-ball coach Matthew Mott previously appointed in May.

Related items

  • Uncapped Shahbaz replaces injured Sundar in India squad for Zimbabwe ODI series Uncapped Shahbaz replaces injured Sundar in India squad for Zimbabwe ODI series

    Uncapped all-rounder Shahbaz Ahmed has replaced the injured Washington Sundar in India's squad for the ODI series in Zimbabwe.

    Sundar sustained a shoulder injury while playing for Lancashire against Worcestershire in the Royal London Cup last week.

    The 22-year-old has been ruled out of the three-match series against Zimbabwe, which starts at the Harare Sports Club on Thursday.

    Shahbaz, 27, could make his India debut after being given a late call-up for the tour.

    VVS Laxman has taken on head coach duties for the series, with Rahul Dravid afforded a rest.

  • Test and T20 balance 'like a Rubik's cube', says former England captain Strauss Test and T20 balance 'like a Rubik's cube', says former England captain Strauss

    Former England captain Andrew Strauss has likened the puzzle of balancing Test and T20 cricket to the complications of "a Rubik's cube" but is optimistic both forms can coexist together.

    The announced launch of new white-ball leagues, including the South Africa T20 League and International League T20 in the United Arab Emirates, has further outlined the dominance of the short-form game.

    England are set to return to Test cricket this month with a three-game series against South Africa, but the long-term future of the sport's five-day format remains a pressing question.

    Strauss acknowledges the challenges presented to balance the two forms are "complicated" within a fast-changing game, but still reasons there is a place for both providing officials do not bury "our heads in the sand".

    "The cricket world around us is changing unbelievably quickly," Strauss was quoted by the Guardian. "Every day, every week, every month, we're seeing a new example of how that world is changing.

    "We're having to ask ourselves in this country, where does our game fit into that? We [need to] make sure that we have incentives there for our players to play both red-and-white-ball cricket.

    "Of course, the ECB have put a lot of time and attention and effort into [giving] the Hundred the potential to be a global short-form event that matches any of these other leagues.

    "One of the things that we need to be conscious of in the game in this country is we have to be nimble and adaptable. We can't afford to be slow moving and have our heads in the sand.

    "We need to continue promoting all the brilliant things cricket in this country offers players – we want to have a strong domestic game, and we want to make sure the players are playing the right balance of formats.

    "I still maintain they can sit together comfortably, Test cricket and T20 cricket. But the challenge we have is, can we produce a manageable schedule that allows players to do both?

    "That is really complicated. It's multi-dimensional. It's like a big Rubik's Cube."

    Strauss will be on hand this Thursday for the second day of England's Test against South Africa, when Lord's will host its annual Red for Ruth day in memory of the ex-captain's late wife, who passed from lung cancer in 2018.

    Ben Stokes' side are looking to maintain their rich vein of form, with the team unbeaten since he succeeding Joe Root as captain earlier this year.

  • Tuchel backs Gallagher and Hudson-Odoi to fight for minutes at Chelsea Tuchel backs Gallagher and Hudson-Odoi to fight for minutes at Chelsea

    Thomas Tuchel has backed Conor Gallagher and Callum Hudson-Odoi to fight their way into first-team contention at Chelsea. 

    However, the Blues boss was philosophical when asked whether either England international could leave in the transfer window, adding: "Nobody is for sale, and everybody is for sale."

    Gallagher appeared as a late substitute in Chelsea's opening-day Premier League win over Everton last week, while Hudson-Odoi was absent from the Blues' squad at Goodison Park.

    Both players have been linked with moves away due to the competition for places at Stamford Bridge, with Hudson-Odoi a reported target for Borussia Dortmund and Gallagher widely admired after racking up eight Premier League goals and three assists on loan at Crystal Palace last term.

    While Tuchel recognises N'Golo Kante, Jorginho and Mateo Kovacic represent stern competition for Gallagher, he wants to see him realise his undoubted promise at Chelsea.

    "Conor fights in central midfield," Tuchel said ahead of Sunday's Premier League clash with Tottenham. "To be honest, it is a very tough fight for him because, at the moment, it seems we only have two places in central midfield. 

    "Given the amount of players we have for central midfield, it isn't ideal, I agree. But we have to do what's best for the squad, not just for each individual player.

    "But at the moment, he is absolutely fine. I am a huge fan of Conor. He is a fantastic guy, and this is what we already knew, in the first weeks of training, he has shown how much of a step he has made through having so much playing time.

    "It is a very, very normal situation and his development is that at the moment, after some fantastic training sessions in the beginning, there is a little dip in his form and freshness. 

    "On top of that, there's a huge competition with N'Golo, Jorgi and Kova, who are used to playing with each other. 

    "This is also life in a big club like Chelsea, so everything is in its right place. We are happy with him. He keeps on fighting, and this is what he does. I think he has everything to become very important in the next years at Chelsea."

    Hudson-Odoi has been linked with a move to the Bundesliga on several occasions, having only started 32 Premier League games for Chelsea since his 2018 debut, but Tuchel is also keen to hold onto him.

    "Callum is the same. He had a long-term injury and long-term problems to overcome," Tuchel said. "I think he still has a way to go to live up to his potential. His potential is huge. 

    "I think having Raheem [Sterling] in can give him an extra boost to step up and see what's needed in these kinds of positions to reach the levels he can honestly reach. 

    "But at the moment, he is our player, and he needs to fight, fight, fight. I have nothing more to say."

    But with over two weeks remaining in the transfer window, Tuchel refused to rule out a change in the club's strategy.

    "In general, nobody is for sale,", Tuchel added. "Nobody is for sale, and everybody is for sale. 

    "It depends on what the player wants, how bad the player wants it, what we think about who is ready to pay a certain amount of money, and then maybe everybody is for sale."

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.