“When I put my mind to something, I know I can get it done”- Jordan excited after maiden Test call-up

By February 27, 2023
Akeem Jordan. Akeem Jordan. CWI

Barbadian pacer Akeem Jordan first burst onto the scene as a part of the victorious Combined Campuses and Colleges team in the 2019 CWI Regional Super50 in Guyana.

In that season, a 24-year-old Jordan finished as the third highest wicket-taker in the competition with 16 wickets in eight games.

Fast forward four years, the Barbados Pride seamer has been selected in the West Indies Test squad on the back of some superb form in the ongoing CWI West Indies Championship. Jordan has, so far, picked up 12 wickets in two matches to be the leading wicket-taker.

In a recent interview on the Cricket West Indies (CWI) YouTube channel, Jordan, now 28, reacted to being selected in the squad for the South Africa series.

“It means everything to me. I bleed and sweat West Indies Cricket. It is my heart and soul,” Jordan said.

“Me being here and given the chance to represent the West Indies means everything,” he added.

When questioned about what character trait brought him to this point in his career, “self-belief” was Jordan’s response.

“If there’s one thing I’d say for sure, self-belief. If no one would believe in me, I’d definitely believe in myself. I’m the type of guy who would take up a ball at midnight and just try to run up the road and bowl, work on little things. I believe when I put my mind to something, I can get it done. That mindset has brought me a long way so far.”

Jordan gave a very thoughtful answer when asked about expectations for himself.

“For me personally, I just want to come into the team and be a part of the family. I don’t want to come and say that I’m going to blast out anybody. I just want to ease my way in and try to do a job that the team needs me to do and not put any big expectations on my shoulders,” he said before going into how that would translate on the field.

“Hopefully, I can put up my hand in situations, dig us out of holes, take a crucial catch or take a valuable wicket. Something like that, just to be a part of the family so that everyone can feel like yeah, this guy is putting everything into West Indies Cricket.”

Jordan may get his chance to do all that when the West Indies take on South Africa in the first test beginning on Tuesday.

 

 

 

 

Bradley Jacks

Bradley Jacks is a budding journalist and an avid sports fan. His love of research and sports has led him to SportsMax.tv, a place where those passions work hand in hand to allow him to produce content.

Related items

  • Sabina Park among those to benefit from CWI's venue changes for West Indies Championship Sabina Park among those to benefit from CWI's venue changes for West Indies Championship

    With the Diego Martin Sports Complex in Trinidad and Tobago being unavailable, Cricket West Indies (CWI) recently announced venue changes, which will result in Jamaica Scorpions playing their remaining West Indies Championship fixtures at Sabina Park.

    The changes affect rounds 4, 5, 6, and 7 of the competition, with venues being shifted to ensure the tournament match schedule proceeds as planned.

    According to CWI's Director of Cricket, Miles Bascombe, these adjustments are part of CWI's ongoing effort to provide the best possible conditions for competitive first class cricket and to showcase the talent within the region.

    “We have witnessed three very exciting rounds of first-class cricket with thrilling team and individual performances. The stage is now set going into rounds four and five for some teams to try to build on their momentum and others to gather some having had the chance to regroup and rejuvenate. CWI will continue to work with WIPA, our host Boards and venues to ensure that conditions for play are the best on offer given the constraints and that in the end the championship will be decided by the contest between bat and ball," Bascombe said, adding that CWI looks forward to welcoming fans to the new venues and encourage their continued support for their teams throughout the championship.

    Among those to benefit is Jamaica's Sabina Park, which up until recently, scarcely hosted any cricket event. After hosting games in the first three rounds of the tournament, the 'Cricket Mecca' as the venue is known, will host another four rounds of games involving the Scorpions.

    The West Indies Championship games will be streamed live with ball-by-ball commentary on the Windies Cricket YouTube channel.

    Updated Schedule:

    Round 4 (March 13 - 16):

    CCC vs Leeward Island Hurricanes will now be hosted at the Sir Frank Worrell Cricket Ground (UWISPEC) in Trinidad.

    Trinidad &Tobago Red Force vs Windward Islands Volcanoes - Queen’s Park Oval (QPO), Trinidad.

    Guyana Harpy Eagles vs Barbados Pride has been moved to the Coolidge Cricket Ground (CCG) in Antigua.

    Jamaica Scorpions vs West Indies Academy will take place at Sabina Park in Jamaica.

    Round 5 (March 20 – 23):

    Jamaica Scorpions vs Leeward Island Hurricanes has been relocated to Sabina Park in Jamaica.

    Guyana Harpy Eagles vs Windward Volcanoes has been relocated to CCG in Antigua.

    CCC vs West Indies Academy will now be contested at UWI SPEC in Trinidad.

    Trinidad &Tobago Red Force vs Barbados Pride – QPO in Trinidad.

    Round 6 (April 10 - 13):

    CCC vs Trinidad and Tobago Red Force is now scheduled for UWI SPEC in Trinidad.

    Jamaica Scorpions vs Guyana Harpy Eagles - Sabina Park, Jamaica.

    Leeward Hurricanes vs Barbados Pride - Sir Vivian Richards Stadium (SVRS), Antigua.

    West Indies Academy vs Windward Islands Volcanoes - CCG, Antigua.

    Round 7 (April 17 – 20):

    CCC vs Guyana Harpy Eagles will take place at UWI SPEC in Trinidad.

    Jamaica Scorpions vs Trinidad &Tobago Red Force - Sabina Park, Jamaica.

    Leeward Islands Hurricanes vs Windward Islands Volcanoes - SVRS, Antigua.

    West Indies Academy vs Barbados Pride - CCG, Antigua.

  • Cameron Green century defies New Zealand on opening day of series Cameron Green century defies New Zealand on opening day of series

    Cameron Green hit a defiant unbeaten 103 as Australia were restricted to 279 for nine on the opening day of the first Test in New Zealand.

    Matt Henry claimed four wickets as the home side’s seam attack took full advantage of a green wicket in Wellington.

    Henry claimed the wickets of openers Steve Smith for 31 and Usman Khawaja for 33 as Australia limped to 85 for four, the struggling Marnus Labuschagne and Travis Head both managing just a single.

    Mitchell Marsh provided some support to Green, handed the pivotal number four spot after Smith’s elevation to open following the retirement of David Warner, before Henry had him caught behind for 40.

    Green hit 16 boundaries, accelerating through the second half of the day with wickets falling regularly at the other end with variable bounce and seam movement making batting difficult.

    Nathan Lyon was the last to go when he was caught behind to give Henry his fourth wicket just before stumps.

    There was still time for Green to reach his second Test century, moving through the 90s with three boundaries in the day’s final over.

  • Essex wanted to keep anonymity throughout independent review into racist abuse Essex wanted to keep anonymity throughout independent review into racist abuse

    Essex chair Anu Mohindru insists maintaining anonymity was behind the decision not to name individuals sanctioned over an independent review which found players at the club had been subjected to racist abuse.

    A report by Katharine Newton KC published last December found reference to players’ ethnic, racial and religious origins was “entirely normalised and tolerated behaviour” within the dressing-room culture between the mid-1990s until around 2013, under the misguided belief that it was acceptable ‘banter’.

    Newton was commissioned to carry out the report in 2021 after allegations of discrimination were made by former Essex players Jahid Ahmed, Maurice Chambers and Zoheb Sharif.

    The club revealed on Wednesday that sanctions have now been issued, but have not confirmed who has been sanctioned, how many individuals are involved and what the nature of those sanctions are.

    Mohindru told the PA news agency: “I am not going to give a number because it’s about jigsaw identification.

    “Everyone who has been implicated and had an adverse finding in the report has been sanctioned in some way.

    “When the report came out we gave it to the independent panel, who then had nothing off the table for them at that stage. They could decide what was appropriate from bans, to losing membership to bans from the ground.

    “That was then sent back to the board and everybody had an opportunity to make representation with regards to mitigating circumstances or anything we thought the board should take into consideration.

    “The board then took the starting point that the panel had thought or the range, took mitigation into place and then we imposed the sanction.

    “Each person has been told individually. We haven’t told anybody what anybody else has got and so forth like that. And that’s keeping in line with the anonymity we wanted to keep throughout this.

    “It is not a matter of us trying to shut shop, but with regards to the Katharine report, we were very clear in our mind we needed to follow the anonymity that stemmed from the start.”

    Mohindru refused to reveal if any of the individuals sanctioned were still working for Essex, but said the England and Wales Cricket Board had been told about all those sanctioned and what those sanctions were.

    “I can’t tell you that because again, I can’t confirm or deny that. All I can say is anybody that has been in the report has been sanctioned and there has been an array of sanctions that have been put forward,” Mohindru said when questioned if any of the sanctioned individuals were still at Essex.

    “I absolutely understand (criticism) but I need to also keep an eye on people’s welfare and the process we’ve followed from the start. We had to follow legal advice, which we have done all the way through and I think we were in a catch 22.

    “If we had revealed it, I am sure we would have been criticised for that and by not revealing it, we’ll be criticised for that, but what I can say is it has been a very strong process.

    “The independent panel are an experienced panel that are used to dealing with regulatory as well as sanctions so they would know what would be appropriate. It is my day job as well so I know how to deal with it.

    “It is a matter of this board had nothing to do with anything that happened before and it is an independent board that was pretty much elected after all of this started, so we’ve tried to be as fair as possible all across the board in every way. That’s been robust sanctions as well as being fair to the individuals.”

    Newton said in her report conclusions that those on the receiving end of discriminatory treatment “were too scared to speak up for fear of damaging their prospects of selection and progression”.

    “In any event, there were no effective mechanisms for raising such concerns,” she added.

    Her report also found a lack of understanding of the needs of Muslim players at Essex.

    Newton also found that the club’s former chairman, John Faragher, used racist language during a board meeting in 2017 and that the club failed to properly investigate a complaint about the language used.

    Newton said in the summary report that she had upheld “a number” of complaints of racially discriminatory conduct, and that the perpetrators were named in the full report she sent to Essex.

    Newton said one of the players was given the nickname ‘bomber’ following the September 11 terrorist attacks. She also found that the phrase ‘curry muncher’ was “commonly used” in the dressing room to describe individuals of South Asian heritage.

    Ahmed, who has been contacted for comment, has previously told PA the term “curry muncher” was directed towards him during his time at the club.

    The ECB has not commented on the sanctions. The Cricket Regulator is continuing its own investigation into what happened at Essex, but Mohindru is unsure when it will conclude.

© 2023 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.