Australia great Glenn McGrath says decision to reprieve Ben Duckett ‘a disgrace’

By Sports Desk July 01, 2023

Australia great Glenn McGrath stirred up an Ashes controversy at Lord’s, branding the umpires’ decision to reprieve England opener Ben Duckett late on the fourth evening “a disgrace”.

Duckett was on his way back to the pavilion for 50 after Mitchell Starc held on to a mis-hit uppercut at fine-leg, apparently leaving England in dire trouble at 113 for five chasing a distant 371.

But he was called back after TV umpire Marais Erasmus reviewed the footage and ruled that the ball was not under Starc’s control before he slid it along the outfield.

Duckett appeared uncertain about his own fate, shrugging his shoulders before resuming his innings as he and Ben Stokes reached stumps a few moments later on 114 for four. The issue may not have a bearing on the result, with England still needing another 257, but Duckett’s slice of fortune and Stokes’ presence mean it cannot be ruled out.

Marylebone Cricket Club, owners of Lord’s and custodians of the laws of the game, tweeted to support the on-field decision but McGrath was incandescent during a commentary stint on BBC’s Test Match Special even suggesting the home side had been given preferential treatment.

“That is a disgrace. That is ridiculous, I cannot believe it,” he said.

“I’ve seen everything this game has to offer, if that is not out, then every other catch that has ever been taken should not be out. That’s a regulation catch.

“That’s the biggest load of rubbish I have ever seen. He has the ball under control. If I was (Australia captain) Pat Cummins, I would be popping up and seeing the match referee. I am sorry that is out, I don’t care who you are playing for. If that’s England taking that catch, that’s out.”

The view from within the Australia dressing room was considerably milder, with Nathan Lyon offering a non-committal assessment.

Lyon had earlier made a remarkable cameo, ditching the crutches he has been using since tearing his calf on the second evening to make an unexpected and painful appearance at number 11.

“Emotions would be high but obviously there is a ruling in the cricket world with the umpires that you have to complete the catch,” he said.

“In my opinion….no, I’m not going to give you my opinion because it doesn’t matter.”

England’s assistant coach Marcus Trescothick was happy to leave the call to the match officials.

“Trust the process, the umpires make the decision so let’s sit back and trust in what they call,” he said.

“It’s probably the same sort of situation with VAR in football, which we all know is a difficult one. When you put the technology on and see the ball sliding along the floor, that’s when you start to question it. From what’s been said by umpires, you’ve got to have control of the ball and your body until the motion is finished.”

England will undoubtedly need a special performance to find a route to victory, but Trescothick took heart from the fact that Stokes remained in play.

The all-rounder has seen his country out of several outrageously tight spots over the years, in the 2019 Ashes at Headingley as well as two World Cup finals in two different formats, and looked in determined mood when he sent down 12 consecutive overs during the Australian innings.

“You see that from Ben often, he is the master of bowling big, long spells and really grabbing the game,” he said.

“He’s showing to the opposition, to himself, to his team-mates, to the public, this is what he’s all about. Whenever he is ready to go, when he’s up for a fight, he’s in the contest and it’s great to have someone like that in your team.

“Everybody around the world is wary of him when he’s in that frame of mind.”

Related items

  • Windies women's skipper Matthews retained by WBBL outfit Melbourne Renegades Windies women's skipper Matthews retained by WBBL outfit Melbourne Renegades

    West Indies women's skipper Hayley Matthews is expecting improved performances in the upcoming season of Australia’s Women's Big Bash League (WBBL) after she secured a contract extension with Melbourne Renegades ahead of the October 27 to December 1 tournament.

    It will be Matthews' third season with the Renegades, who initially contracted the Windies star ahead of WBBL|08 then selected her with pick No.3 in last year's inaugural overseas player draft.

    By virtue of selecting the world-class all-rounder, Renegades became the fourth club to lock in an overseas signing ahead of the WBBL|10 draft under the new signing provisions introduced by the league this year.

    The 26-year-old led the club in the absence of injured captain Sophie Molineux last season, but it was a tournament the Renegades would rather forget after winning just two games and finishing at the bottom of the table.

    Matthews' performances with the ball were one bright spot of that campaign, and she finished as their equal-leading wicket taker with 14 scalps for her off-spin, while she scored 255 runs at a strike rate of 114.34.

    “I’m super excited to be back with the girls; I'm confident I can play a massive role within the team and help put up some really good performances and hopefully lead us to a finals series. The main thing I can appreciate about this club is the way they bring me in and make me feel so welcome. I can step back into what feels like a massive family,” Matthews said.

    "We haven't achieved what we've wanted to the last couple of years, but with some key members back and some new additions cooking up as well, I'm confident we can go out there and put it all together. One of the biggest things for me, after not having the best seasons with the Renegades in my first two years, I definitely feel like I want to go out there and give the club a lot more,” she added.

    Matthews will strengthen a Renegades batting line-up that is also set to welcome back captain Sophie Molineux this summer, after the Australia all-rounder missed the entirety of last season as she recovered from a ruptured ACL.

    The absence of Molineux and fellow injured Australian star Tayla Vlaeminck was a major factor in the Renegades' struggles last season, while their high-profile overseas trio of Matthews, Harmanpreet Kaur and Tammy Beaumont did not reach the heights expected of them with the bat.

    “It hampered us not having our full squad together for either of the two years I've been there; just having Sophie around the group again is going to be such a plus,” Matthews said.

    “I saw what she was able to do at the WPL, the way she was able to go out there and express herself and just be free. We're super excited to have her back at the Renegades and hopefully doing even better,” she noted.

    Matthews, who has been signed under the league's new multi-year, pre-draft contract provision, will also join an enviable Renegades spin brigade, with her off-spin complementing Molineux's left-arm orthodox and Georgia Wareham's leg-spin. The trio of international stars, will be accompanied by rising off-spinner Ella Hayward.

    The Renegades pre-draft signing of Matthews means they part with their Platinum selection (pick No.3), leaving picks 11, 22, and 27 for the draft set to be held in September.

  • 'Thank you Gareth' - Rice and Pickford lead tributes to outgoing England boss Southgate 'Thank you Gareth' - Rice and Pickford lead tributes to outgoing England boss Southgate

    Declan Rice thanked outgoing England boss Gareth Southgate for "memories that will stay with me forever".

    Southgate announced on Tuesday he would step down as the Three Lions' head coach following their heartbreaking Euro 2024 final defeat by Spain.

    It was a second successive run to the European Championship final the 53-year-old had overseen since replacing Sam Allardyce in September 2016, while also guiding England to the 2018 World Cup semi-finals.

    Rice has earned all 58 of his Three Lions caps under Southgate since making his debut in 2019, while playing in every game at each of the last three major tournaments.

    "Thank you gaffer. It's been a privilege to play for England under your guidance," the Arsenal midfielder posted on his Instagram story. "Memories that will stay with me forever. All the best in your next adventure."

    Jordan Pickford also made his senior international bow under Southgate in 2017, and was an ever-present in goal at all four major tournaments since.

    "Completely gutted. This will hurt for a while," the Everton goalkeeper wrote on Instagram in his first post since Sunday's final.

    "Appreciate everyone who supported us during the tournament and I’d like to thank all my teammates and staff for their work throughout.

    "I also want to say a special thank you to the boss for always believing in me during his time with us and I would like to wish him all the best in his next steps. Thank you Gareth."

  • Southgate steps down as England manager Southgate steps down as England manager

    Gareth Southgate has resigned as England manager following their Euro 2024 final defeat.

    Southgate's contract was due to expire at the end of the year, but the 53-year-old had admitted he was unlikely to carry on if they did not lift the trophy.

    He was in charge of the Three Lions for eight years, having taken on the role following Sam Allardyce's abrupt exit in September 2016.

    Southgate managed England at four major tournaments, leading them to the semi-finals of the 2018 World Cup in the first.

    The former defender then led the side to their first major tournament final since 1966 at Euro 2020, losing 3-2 on penalties to Italy at Wembley, before guiding them to the quarter-finals at the World Cup in Qatar in 2022.

    His final tournament in charge saw his side reach their first-ever final on foreign soil, though a 2-1 defeat to Spain saw England become the first team in history to lose consecutive Euros finals, with Southgate the only manager to ever lose two such matches.

    Southgate took charge of 102 matches with England, winning 61 of those, with the Three Lions netting 223 goals during his tenure.

    His 14 wins at major tournaments are the most of any manager in England's history, while they reached more finals (two) in four attempts than they did in their first 23 appearances at the World Cup and Euros.

    Speaking to the Football Association's (FA) website, Southgate said: "As a proud Englishman, it has been the honour of my life to play for England and to manage England.

    "It has meant everything to me, and I have given it my all. But it's time for change, and for a new chapter. Sunday's final in Berlin against Spain was my final game as England manager.

    "I have had the privilege of leading a large group of players in 102 games. Every one of them has been proud to wear the three lions on their shirts, and they have been a credit to their country in so many ways.

    "The squad we took to Germany is full of exciting young talent, and they can win the trophy we all dream of.

    "I am so proud of them, and I hope we get behind the players and the team at St. George's Park and the FA, who strive every day to improve English football and understand the power football has to drive positive change.

    "We have the best fans in the world, and their support has meant the world to me. I'm an England fan and I always will be.

    "I look forward to watching and celebrating as the players go on to create more special memories and to connect and inspire the nation as we know they can.

    "Thank you, England – for everything."

© 2023 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.