The Queen: England-South Africa Test to resume on Saturday

By Sports Desk September 09, 2022

The England and Wales Cricket Board has confirmed play will resume on Saturday in England's third Test match against South Africa following the death of Queen Elizabeth II.

The governing body made the decision to cancel all fixtures across domestic and international level on Friday following the news Britain's longest-reigning monarch had passed away aged 96 at her home in Balmoral on Thursday.

The first day of the deciding match between England and South Africa on Thursday had been a washout due to weather, but will now be anticipated to get underway at The Oval on Saturday following the go-ahead.

"Cricket will resume on Saturday to pay tribute to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II and honour her remarkable life and service," an ECB statement read.

"Following the cancellation of Friday’s cricket fixtures as a mark of respect on announcement of her death, the England and Wales Cricket Board can confirm that play will resume from Saturday including international, domestic, and recreational fixtures.

"The decision has been taken after consultation with DCMS and in line with Official National Mourning guidance. 

"This means the Men’s Test match between England and South Africa will begin at The Oval and the Women’s IT20 match between England and India will also go ahead at the Riverside in Durham.

"The scheduled match between England and Sri Lanka Men’s U19 along with recreational cricket fixtures will also take place as planned.

"Before each match, a minute’s silence will be observed followed by the national anthem. All players and coaches will wear black armbands. Branded inventory will be replaced with messaging paying cricket's respects to The Queen."

Captain Ben Stokes said he would "be honoured to play" in the Queen's memory earlier on Friday, before official confirmation came through from the ECB.

Meanwhile, the Rugby Football League has also confirmed matches will take place as planned across all levels, including Saturday's Super League play-off encounter between Huddersfield Giants and Salford Red Devils.

Friday's clash between Catalans Dragons and Leeds Rhinos had already been handed the go-ahead due to taking place in Perpignan in the south of France.

However, Saturday's undisputed middleweight championship bout between Claressa Shields and Savannah Marshall at the O2 Arena in London has been provisionally postponed until October 15.

A statement from the British Boxing Board of Control (BBBC) read: "As a mark of respect following the passing of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, the British Boxing Board of Control has made the decision to postpone Saturday's event, BOXXER: Legacy - Shields vs Marshall.

"Our sincere thoughts are with His Majesty King Charles III and the Royal Family during this profoundly sombre time. We are working with all parties to provisionally reschedule for Saturday, 15th October, at The O2 in London."

Related items

  • Chandler Cunningham-South pleased to be reaping the rewards after a ‘big step’ Chandler Cunningham-South pleased to be reaping the rewards after a ‘big step’

    Chandler Cunningham-South is relishing every minute of the Six Nations maelstrom as he prepares to play a part in England’s daunting clash with back-to-back Grand Slam chasers Ireland at Twickenham on Saturday.

    Cunningham-South’s gamble in leaving New Zealand, where he had lived since the age of four, to return to the UK two years ago has paid off handsomely with his ascendancy to the full England squad for the first time this year.

    His debut off the bench in the opening win over Italy, and subsequent appearances against both Wales and Scotland, have appeared to make the Harlequins flanker an integral part of head coach Steve Borthwick’s long-term plans.

    “It has been a really big step up for me and I think I have done all right,” said Cunningham-South. “I think I am the youngest in the squad and I have been taken under a few people’s wings.

    “I like it. Especially when we were up in Edinburgh getting off the bus – all the heckling and yelling. That sort of stuff motivates me and gives me an extra bit of energy.

    “Twickenham is awesome to play at. You don’t actually realise how big the stadium is until you are on the field looking up. It seems to not stop. It was awesome – so loud, so passionate, a real cool place to play.”

    Cunningham-South, who was born in Sidcup, decided to head back over to England to pursue his rugby career after finding his opportunities limited in New Zealand.

    But he admits he had big moments of doubt after arriving in the midst of the Covid pandemic and finding himself struck down with the illness more or less immediately.

    “I got the opportunity over in England and it all happened pretty quickly,” he added. “It was a weird time because I was stuck inside for 18 days with Covid and I was like, ‘Did I make the right decision?’ But once I had got rid of the Covid and got into training I knew I had done.

    “I suppose it’s not meant to be easy. Moving over at that age I was a little homesick at first, but when you are working hard and having fun with new friends it gets pushed to the back of your head and I have been loving every minute of it.”

    Cunningham-South initially joined the London Irish academy in 2022, representing England in the under-20 Six Nations in the same year, before moving on to Harlequins when Irish folded due to financial issues.

    His swift ascent up the England ranks was confirmed when he came off the bench in the narrow opening win over Italy and Cunningham-South believes he is beginning to reap the benefits of his big career decision.

    “I needed to develop a lot and that’s why I wanted to be a part of an academy set-up,” he added.

    “And there was a definite mindset switch – what it takes to be a professional is very different to when you are playing uni rugby. I didn’t realise how much detail goes into the professional game. It was a bit of a shock, but it’s been good.”

  • Small role for Matthews as Mumbai Indians secure seven-wicket win over RCB Small role for Matthews as Mumbai Indians secure seven-wicket win over RCB

    West Indies captain Hayley Matthews had only a small role to play, as her Mumbai Indians team registered a comfortable seven-wicket win over Royal Challengers Bangalore to assume pole position of the Women’s Premier League at the M Chinnaswamy Stadium, on Saturday.

    Matthews, who made 55 in a losing cause on last, got a fairly decent start, and though she failed to push on, it mattered little, as Mumbai Indians made light work of the modest target set by Royal Challengers Bangalore.

    Chasing 132, Mumbai Indians got to their target with 29 balls to spare, with Matthews contributing a brisk 21-ball 26.

    She struck three fours and a solitary six in a 45-run opening stand with Yastika Bhatia, which laid the foundation for the run chase. Bhatia lashed a 15-ball 31. 

    Matthews added a further 24 runs for the second wicket with captain Nat Sciver-Brunt (27), before holing out to cover off-spinner Shreyanka Patil.

    From there, it was left for New Zealander Amelia Kerr to apply the finish with a snappy 40 off 24 balls, including seven fours, that fuelled an important 49-run third wicket partnership with Sciver-Brunt.

    Earlier, RCB stumbled their way to 131 for six off their 20 overs after being sent in, Australian Ellyse Perry holding the innings together with an unbeaten 44 off 38 balls.

    With the innings in trouble at 42 for four in the ninth over, Perry put on 29 for the fifth wicket with fellow countrywoman Sophie Molineux (12), before adding a further 51 for the seventh wicket with another international teammate Georgia Wareham, who made 27 from 20 deliveries.

    The win was Mumbai’s third in four games, putting them top of the standings on six points.

  • Glenn Phillips grabs five wickets as New Zealand cling to hope Glenn Phillips grabs five wickets as New Zealand cling to hope

    New Zealand kept their hopes in the first Test alive as Glenn Phillips took five wickets to bowl Australia out and set a target of 369 on the third day in Wellington.

    Nightwatchman Nathan Lyon was the unlikely top scorer for Australia, falling on 41 with his first Test 50 in sight.

    Cameron Green continued his form with 34, but all-rounder Phillips spun his way to five wickets and was on a hat-trick after removing Travis Head for 29 and dismissing Mitch Marsh with the next ball.

    Phillips finished with 5-45 as Australia were all out for 164.

    The Australians struck early in the Blackcaps innings, Lyon dismissing Tom Latham and Kane Williamson for single-digit scores, before part-timer Head removed Will Young for 15.

    Rachin Ravindra (56 not out) and Daryl Mitchell (12 not out) dug in for the rest of the day.

    Two days remain with New Zealand requiring 257 pull off what would be an incredible victory.

© 2023 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.