CPL

Challenge paying off for Bravo - Windies star satisfied with mentorship role with CPL finalists Patriots

By Sports Desk September 15, 2021

West Indies all-rounder Dwayne Bravo has expressed delight at the success achieved by St Kitts and Nevis Patriots after joining the team as part of a personal challenge earlier this year.

The 37-year-old all-rounder announced his decision, in April, to join the Patriots after seven years with Trinbago Knight Riders, where he won four CPL titles.  Ahead of requesting a trade to the eastern Caribbean team, Bravo had cited a desire to help mould a new generation of upcoming cricketers.

With the performance of some of the Patriot's younger players this season, the move might just have paid dividends.  Opening batsman Evin Lewis has an astounding season to date, having racked up a record 420 runs so far, with Wednesday’s final still to be added to the tally.  Sherfane Rutherford has also done well with the bat, tallying 237 runs in 10 games so far, with a number of eye-catching performances, while Dominic Drakes has featured prominently among the league’s top bowlers with 15 wickets to date.

“When I decided on making the move I said I wanted to challenge myself.  I wanted to try and help the younger players in different teams.  So to get to the finals, to see the way that Sherfane Rutherford played through the tournament and Evin, young Drakes, that gives me all the pleasure and I think I achieved what I wanted to achieve,” Bravo said, following the team’s semifinal win over the Guyana Amazon Warriors.

“I wanted to help build a team that could actually compete in the tournament and press on to try and win a trophy and we have one more game, it’s going to be a difficult game because the St Lucia Kings have been playing well.”

The final will be the second for St Kitts and Nevis who also made the 2017 final where they lost to a Knight Rider team of which Bravo was a part.

Related items

  • 'I will be the first of many' - Olympic qualifier Benjamin convinced Jamaica can become force in skiing 'I will be the first of many' - Olympic qualifier Benjamin convinced Jamaica can become force in skiing

    Historic Jamaica Alpine skier Alexander Benjamin believes the country possesses the attributes to produce top-quality skiers on a consistent basis and hopes to be the first of many.

    At 38 years old Benjamin made history for the Caribbean country to qualify for the Alpine Skiing event at the upcoming Beijing Winter Olympics.  He is, however, the second skier behind Errol Kerr who competed in Freestyle skiing at the 2010 Winter Olympics and finished in 9th position.  Kerr’s finish is the best placing by a Caribbean athlete at any Winter Olympics.

    Despite the fame garnered from the 1988 Winter Olympics four-man bobsled team, immortalised by the cult classic Cool Runnings, it is the Summer Olympics that have been the forte of the Caribbean island.

    Led by Jamaican track and field legend Usain Bolt Beijing was a happy hunting ground for the country’s Olympic team in 2008, where they claimed 11 medals.  While Benjamin won’t necessarily expect that type of success, the newly minted Olympian believes there is plenty of talent to harness.

    “What my story is all about is encouraging the next generation of Jamaicans to start before 32, so that we can have a real chance at medaling,” Benjamin told the SportsMax Zone.

    “I’ve already identified three Jamaicans in New York, started skiing when they were less than two years old, and they’ve been race training for the last 10 years.  So, they’re now 14 years old and these guys are going to come with force when we get to the 2026 Games,” he added.

    “I think that we can get a really strong ski team from the pool of talent we already have in Jamaica and the diaspora.”

    Benjamin has targeted being actively involved with the Jamaica Ski Federation (JSF).  Richard Salm the former president of the JSF died of injuries sustained in a motor vehicle accident last year.

     

     

  • 'I play my best cricket when I keep it simple' - in-form King looking to take things one ball at a time on Windies return 'I play my best cricket when I keep it simple' - in-form King looking to take things one ball at a time on Windies return

    West Indies opener, Brandon King, is looking to keep things simple on his return to international cricket after recently returning to the team.

    King was named as part of the Windies T20 squad who will play against England in the upcoming five-match series.  The batsman looked in solid form after returning to the team against Pakistan last month, after more than a year away from the team.  He scored 111 runs in three matches, with an average of 37 and a high score of 67.

    On the back of another controlled showing against a BCA President's XI in a warm-up match at Kensington Oval, on Tuesday, King will be looking to provide solidity against the English for a Windies team that has struggled as of late.

    “For me mentally, I play my best cricket when I am keeping things simple out there while I am batting.  I just try and play the situation as it is and that has really helped me to do better out there,” King said of his form since returning to the team.

    Despite the World Cup coming up later this year, however, and the West Indies in rebuilding mode, he insists he is not looking too far ahead in terms of regular selection.

    “I try to focus on the things that I can control.  For me, that is just every game that presents itself I just try and do my best and perform.  Selection and those other aspects I don’t have any control over it but I just try and put myself in a position to be in the conversation.”

     

  • No fans allowed for Reggae Boyz upcoming home matches against Mexico, Costa Rica No fans allowed for Reggae Boyz upcoming home matches against Mexico, Costa Rica

    Jamaica’s Reggae Boyz will once again be without fans for upcoming home World Cup qualifiers against Mexico and Costa Rica as the government looks to put measures in place to combat the recent spike in coronavirus cases.

    The country has played the majority of its matches behind closed doors, so far, with the lone exception being its last match against the United States, which allowed for 5000 vaccinated spectators to be present.

    With 15 more COVID deaths, 1,548 new cases, and a positivity rate of 51.5 percent, as of Tuesday, however, the Government has decided to return to closed-door measures.  The Reggae Boyz have been the only team in the octagonal round that has been affected so severely by coronavirus restrictions, with many other teams sticking to the practice of limiting the numbers of fans allowed at the venues.

    Jamaica, however, has the lowest vaccination rate of all the countries participating in the qualifiers with just 557,000 persons fully vaccinated, representing just 20.4 percent of the population.

    The Reggae Boyz will be hoping to make a late run to book a place at this year’s FIFA World Cup having found themselves well off the pace midway through the qualifiers.  The team is currently 6th in the standings on 7 points, seven short of the final qualification spot.  The team will kick off the next round with a match against Mexico on January 27th, followed by a trip to Panama three days later and a home fixture against Costa Rica on January 30.