Mo Farah withdraws from London Marathon after suffering hip injury

By Sports Desk September 28, 2022

Mo Farah has withdrawn from Sunday's London Marathon after suffering a hip injury, sparking fresh doubts over the four-time Olympic champion's competitive future.

The 39-year-old has raced just seven times since October 2019 and said he felt his track career was over after being beaten by club runner Ellis Cross at the Vitality London 10,000 in May.

Having suffered from discomfort in his right hip, Farah revealed he would miss the London Marathon – which he finished third in four years ago – on Wednesday but aims to compete next year.

"I've been training really hard over the past few months and I'd got myself back into good shape and was feeling pretty optimistic about being able to put in a good performance," Farah said.

"However, over the past 10 days I've been feeling pain and tightness in my right hip. I've had extensive physio and treatment and done everything I can to be on the start line, but it hasn't improved enough to compete on Sunday.

"I wish everyone taking part on Sunday a good run and I hope to be back out there with you in April 2023."

Related items

  • Mo Farah signs off glittering career with fourth-place finish in Great North Run Mo Farah signs off glittering career with fourth-place finish in Great North Run

    Sir Mo Farah has completed the final race of his glittering career with a fourth-placed finish in the Great North Run.

    The four-time Olympic champion announced he would be ending his career at the North East half-marathon earlier this year.

    He finished in 1:03:28 with Ethopia’s Tamirat Tola winning the men’s elite race, finishing just shy of the hour mark with a time of 59 minutes and 58 seconds.

    Farah has previously won the race six times and was greeted by vast crowds of people lining the Coast Road, offering high fives as he approached the finish line.

    He told the BBC post-race: “Amazing support. It is the end of my career. I wanted to come here and celebrate. It has been an amazing career.

    “I wanted to end my career here in Newcastle. I won here six times. I wanted to take it all in and enjoy it.

    “All I know is running. That is what made me happy for many years.”

  • On this day in 2011: Mo Farah wins World Championship gold in Daegu On this day in 2011: Mo Farah wins World Championship gold in Daegu

    Britain’s Mo Farah secured gold in the 5,000 metres at the World Championships in Daegu on this day in 2011.

    Having lost the 10,000m just seven days earlier, Farah managed to hold off competition from American Bernard Lagat to win the 5,000m in 13 minutes 23.36 seconds.

    The Briton had faced competition from Dejen Gebremeskel, but the Ethiopian began to face with 100m to go and despite a late surge from Lagat, Farah held on to become the first British man to win a world title over 5,000m.

    “I’m very proud, I just can’t believe it,” Farah said after winning the race.

    “I just had to go out there and do what I did in the 10k but just get it right this time.

    “I just want to thank everyone who’s helped me. It’s great to have my family behind me.

    “I’ve made a lot of sacrifices, moving away from home where it’s comfortable relative to everything else and I’m glad I made that choice because it’s working. I’ve got the gold now. It just feels amazing.”

    Farah had moved his family to Oregon in the United States to work with coach Alberto Salazar earlier in the year. Salazar has been banned from coaching since 2019 following an investigations by the United States Anti-Doping Agency.

    Farah won double gold at the 2012 Olympics in London the following year before retaining his 5,000m and 10,000m titles at Rio 2016.

    The six-time World Champion has confirmed that the Great North Run, taking place next Sunday, will be his final race.

  • On this day in 2015: Mo Farah wins 10,000m World Championship gold in Beijing On this day in 2015: Mo Farah wins 10,000m World Championship gold in Beijing

    Mo Farah put a summer of speculation behind him to make it half a dozen global titles as he again proved unbeatable over 10,000 metres at the World Championships in Beijing, on this day in 2015.

    Farah was ruthlessly focused amid all the off-track distractions as he burst away from the twin Kenyan challenge of Geoffrey Kipsang Kamworor and Paul Tanui down the home straight.

    The 32-year-old has endured a tumultuous year, caught up in the doping allegations surrounding his coach Alberto Salazaar, but had not lost his aura of invincibility on it as he came home in 27 minutes 01.13 seconds.

    The double Olympic champion was back at the Bird’s Nest stadium, the scene of the biggest disappointment of his career when he failed to make the final of the 2008 Olympics.

    Farah’s victory on this occasion meant he continued his Games and World Championships winning streak since his second-placed finish at Daegu, South Korea in 2011.

    Farah was in a pack of five, well clear of the field for most of the race, also including American Galen Rupp, his training partner at the Nike Oregon Project in Portland, and, ominously, three Kenyan team-mates.

    Farah kicked to the front with a lap to go and, although the Kenyans tried to respond, they simply could not match his finishing speed as the Briton came home with more than half a second to spare.

    The double Olympic champion has admitted his name has been dragged through the mud over his links to Salazar- although he himself had been accused of no wrongdoing – and this win was the ideal way to answer his critics.

    “I want to keep doing what I’m doing and serve my country and win as many medals as I can,” Farah told the BBC.

    “I want to be remembered as someone who did something for their country.

    “It’s been good to have so many people behind me on Instagram and Twitter, sending me messages.

    “It’s a great atmosphere. It’s important I started the team well. I’m one of the oldest. So hopefully people look at that and say ‘I can do it’.”

    Farah feared a last-lap stumble had killed his hopes of victory, but branded the challenge the toughest of his career.

    He added: “The last lap, that was close. At one point, I honestly thought I was gone as I stumbled and I was thinking,
    ‘Not 24 laps into it, the last lap’.

    “I was trying to go round and the Kenyan guy Geoffrey caught my leg. So I almost stumbled and managed to stay on my feet, go round to the front and make sure I had something left at the end. It was close, it wasn’t easy.”

© 2023 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.