Nine members of World U20 delegation test positive for Covid-19, left behind in Nairobi

By August 23, 2021

Nine members of Jamaica’s successful delegation to the World Athletics World Under 20 Championships have tested positive for Covid 19, the Jamaica Athletic Administrative Association announced today. Four tested positive earlier in the week while five more persons tested positive in the final set of tests that were done before travelling today. 

All are asymptomatic and are in isolation and will not be able to depart Nairobi until September 2.  The Jamaica team medical staff have remained with the nine persons and they will be accompanied home by senior staff including the medical personnel who have also remained with the group. 

 The main body of athletes and staff are now on their way home, the JAAA said.

Jamaica won 11 medals - three gold, six silver and three bronze - at the championships that concluded on Sunday, their second-best medal haul at the championships. Seven of those medals were won on Sunday’s final day when the girls 4x100m relay team set a new world record of 42.94.

 

Leighton Levy

Leighton Levy is a journalist with 28 years’ experience covering crime, entertainment, and sports. He joined the staff at SportsMax.TV as a content editor two years ago and is enjoying the experience of developing sports content and new ideas. At SportsMax.tv he is pursuing his true passion - sports.

Related items

  • Shericka Jackson and Rasheed Broadbell included in 39-member Jamaica team to NACAC Area Championships in The Bahamas Shericka Jackson and Rasheed Broadbell included in 39-member Jamaica team to NACAC Area Championships in The Bahamas

    World 200m champion Shericka Jackson, Commonwealth Games 110m hurdles gold medallist Rasheed Broadbell and Christopher Taylor have all been included in Jamaica’s 39-member team to the NACAC Area Championships set to run from August 19-21 in The Bahamas.

  • BREAKING NEWS: Six Trinidadians including a police officer charged in connection with attack on World javelin champion Anderson Peters BREAKING NEWS: Six Trinidadians including a police officer charged in connection with attack on World javelin champion Anderson Peters

    Six Trinidadian nationals were arrested and charged today Friday, August 12, 2022, in connection with the incident involving Anderson Peters, which occurred on board the Harbour Master Vessel on Wednesday night in St. George’s, Grenada, the Royal Grenada Police have revealed.

    According to the police, John Alexander, 55, a deck hand of Arima; Mikhail John, 35, a sailor of San Juan; Noel Cooper, 42, Captain of Gurpe; Lance Wiggins, 45, a sailor of Cocorite and Sheon Jack, 28, a Sailor of Cocorite were all charged with one count each of grievous harm and stealing, while Abiola Benjamin, 40, Operations Manager and police officer of Maraval was charged with assault on Anderson Peters.

    Alexander, John, Cooper, Wiggins and Jack were also charged with causing harm to Kiddon Peters, the brother of Anderson Peters.

    All of the accused individuals are scheduled to appear in court on Monday, August 15, 2022.

    The men will remain in police custody until their appearance before the Magistrate.

  • Six in custody but no charges yet from incident involving Grenada's Anderson Peters. World champion nursing several injuries including sprained ankle Six in custody but no charges yet from incident involving Grenada's Anderson Peters. World champion nursing several injuries including sprained ankle

    Six people remain in police custody in Grenada in connection with the attack on world javelin champion Anderson Peters on the Harbour Master party time on the Spice Island on Wednesday night, the Royal Grenada Police reported on Friday.

    Investigations are continuing about the incident wherein the athlete was involved in a brawl with several men said to be from Trinidad and Tobago but so far no charges have been filed, police said. However, there are concerns over the athlete’s health following the incident.

    The police said he was treated at a hospital and released but Paul Phillip, who coaches the athlete revealed on the Sportsmax Zone on Friday evening that Peters’ suffered injury to his left ankle as well as bruises to his elbow, neck and face.

    According to Phillip, the ankle injury is of greatest concern as that is the ankle Peters’ throws off and it appears he has suffered a sprain which could prevent him from competing at the Diamond League meeting in Lausanne on August 26.

    The incident has drawn strong reactions across the region including Brian Lewis, President of the Caribbean Association of National Olympic Committees (CANOC) who expressed “shock and dismay” at the incident.

    Discussions at a diplomatic level have also been engaged between representatives of Grenada and Trinidad and Tobago, who have said that it is hoped that justice will be served.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.