Benjamin Mendy has been charged with two additional counts of rape, the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) said on Tuesday.

The Manchester City defender had already been charged with four counts of rape and one count of sexual assault and is being held in custody.

Mendy was charged initially by Cheshire Constabulary in August in relation to alleged attacks between October 2020 and August 2021. The new charges concern alleged rapes in the same timespan.

The 27-year-old France international was suspended by City at the time of the first charges, pending an investigation.

The CPS said it had authorised Cheshire Constabulary to charge Mendy, and another man, Louis Saha Matturie, with "additional allegations of serious sexual assault".

"Benjamin Mendy, aged 27, has been charged with two additional counts of rape," the CPS stated.

"Louis Saha Matturie, aged 40, has been charged with two additional counts of rape and one count of sexual assault."

Matturie's alleged offences are said to have taken place between March 2021 and August 2021, and he now faces a charge total of six counts of rape and one of sexual assault.

Both men have been summonsed to appear at Stockport Magistrates' Court on Wednesday, the CPS added.

Benjamin Mendy has been remanded in custody after the Manchester City defender was charged with four counts of rape and one count of sexual assault.

Mendy was charged by Cheshire Constabulary on Thursday in relation to alleged attacks between October 2020 and August 2021.

The 27-year-old France international appeared in Chester Magistrates' Court on Friday, where he spoke only to confirm his name, address and date of birth.

Mendy was remanded in custody and is due to appear at Chester Crown Court on September 10.

The left-back was suspended by City pending an investigation after being charged. 

City said in a statement released on Thursday: "Manchester City can confirm that following his being charged by police today, Benjamin Mendy has been suspended pending an investigation.

"The matter is subject to a legal process and the club is therefore unable to make further comment until that process is complete."

Manchester City have suspended Benjamin Mendy pending an investigation after Cheshire Constabulary charged the player with four counts of rape and one count of sexual assault.

Charges against the 27-year-old left-back relate to three complainants over the age of 16, with the incidents alleged to have occurred between October 2020 and August 2021, police said.

"The Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) has authorised Cheshire Constabulary to charge a man in connection with allegations of sexual assault," a police statement confirmed on Thursday.

"Benjamin Mendy, aged 27, has been charged with four counts of rape and one count of sexual assault.

"The charges relate to three complainants over the age of 16 and are alleged to have taken place between October 2020 and August 2021.

"Mendy, of Withinlee Road, Prestbury, has been remanded in police custody and is set to appear at Chester Magistrates' Court on Friday 27 August.

"Cheshire Constabulary and the Crown Prosecution Service would like to remind everyone that criminal proceedings against Mendy are live and that he has a right to a fair trial.

"It is extremely important that there should be no reporting, commentary or sharing of information online which could in any way prejudice ongoing proceedings."

Following the charges, City released a statement saying: "Manchester City can confirm that following his being charged by police today, Benjamin Mendy has been suspended pending an investigation.

"The matter is subject to a legal process and the club is therefore unable to make further comment until that process is complete."

Manchester City have suspended Benjamin Mendy pending an investigation after Cheshire Constabulary charged the player with four counts of rape and one count of sexual assault.

Charges against the 27-year-old left-back relate to three complainants over the age of 16, with the incidents alleged to have occurred between October 2020 and August 21, police said.

"The Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) has authorised Cheshire Constabulary to charge a man in connection with allegations of sexual assault," a police statement confirmed on Thursday.

"Benjamin Mendy, aged 27, has been charged with four counts of rape and one count of sexual assault.

"The charges relate to three complainants over the age of 16 and are alleged to have taken place between October 2020 and August 2021.

"Mendy, of Withinlee Road, Prestbury, has been remanded in police custody and is set to appear at Chester Magistrates' Court on Friday 27 August.

"Cheshire Constabulary and the Crown Prosecution Service would like to remind everyone that criminal proceedings against Mendy are live and that he has a right to a fair trial.

"It is extremely important that there should be no reporting, commentary or sharing of information online which could in any way prejudice ongoing proceedings."

Following the charges, City released a statement saying: "Manchester City can confirm that following his being charged by police today, Benjamin Mendy has been suspended pending an investigation.

"The matter is subject to a legal process and the club is therefore unable to make further comment until that process is complete."

Benjamin Mendy was an unlikely goalscorer as Manchester City took another step towards the Premier League title with an authoritative 2-0 victory at Leicester City.

Pep Guardiola's side were dominant for long periods, Kevin De Bruyne hitting the crossbar, but had to wait until the 58th minute for left-back Mendy to find the breakthrough.

Both teams had seen goals ruled out for offside by that point, with Jamie Vardy frustrated in first-half stoppage time, although nothing approaching a repeat of Leicester's 5-2 early season triumph at the Etihad Stadium ever appeared to be on the cards.

A majestic De Bruyne throughball allowed substitute Raheem Sterling to tee up Gabriel Jesus for a game-sealing goal that put the leaders 17 points clear of Manchester United, albeit having played two games more than Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's men.

Manchester City captain Fernandinho drilled a 25-yard drive into the bottom corner but his fifth-minute effort was ruled out because Sergio Aguero jumped over the shot in an offside position.

De Bruyne went closer for the visitors, rattling the bar with a 23rd-minute free-kick, before Kasper Schmeichel saved with his boot to thwart former team-mate Riyad Mahrez and Jesus thrashed over before half-time.

Leicester's first shot belatedly arrived in the 48th minute, when Youri Tielemans treated Ederson to a routine stop.

Ruben Dias slid in to make a telling block from the Belgium midfielder moments later after Kelechi Iheanacho picked Fernandinho's pocket.

Mahrez stung Schmeichel's palms before the hour and Leicester failed to clear the danger – possession falling to Mendy, who stepped inside Marc Albrighton and slotted home right footed.

Sterling and Jesus threatened to undo De Bruyne's imperious work 16 minutes from time but held their nerve to seal victory as blue shirts darted back towards the goalmouth in vain.

Mahrez trudged off having come agonisingly close to scoring against his former employers, clipping a shot just wide after Jesus mugged a flagging Jonny Evans.

Manchester City will conduct an internal investigation after being left "disappointed" by Benjamin Mendy's breach of COVID-19 protocols. 

France international Mendy - who has made nine appearances in all competitions this season - is reported to have staged a party on New Year's Eve that included guests from outside his household. 

In a statement, the Premier League club confirmed they are aware of the situation involving the player, who has since apologised for his error amid the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.

City are without a number of first-team players following an outbreak of the virus that forced their game away at Everton on December 28 to be postponed. 

"The club is aware of a New Year's Eve Covid-19 breach involving Benjamin Mendy and the subsequent media reporting of it," City said in a widely reported statement. 

"While it is understood that elements of this incident have been misinterpreted in the reports, and that the player has publicly apologised for his error, the club is disappointed to learn of the transgression and will be conducting an internal investigation." 

Pep Guardiola confirmed on Friday that three more "important" members of the first team had tested positive, following on from confirmed cases for Gabriel Jesus and Kyle Walker, as well as two members of staff. 

City closed the training facility due to the situation within the club, though the squad were able to return to work on Wednesday ahead of Sunday's trip to Chelsea. 

They are not the only top-flight team to be dealing with a coronavirus outbreak, though. Fulham have had festive fixtures against Tottenham and Burnley cancelled. 

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.