Ryan Sessegnon was handed his first Premier League start since joining Tottenham as the teenager lined up for Jose Mourinho's team against Brighton and Hove Albion on Thursday.

Former Fulham player Sessegnon stepped in for the suspended Son Heung-min, who missed out after Tottenham lost an appeal against his red card in the 2-0 home defeat to Chelsea.

Sessegnon looked set to feature in a fluid forward line, headed by captain Harry Kane, with Dele Alli and Lucas Moura also floating behind the skipper.

Chances for 19-year-old Sessegnon have been few and far between since his reported £25million move to north London in August, although he scored on his last appearance in the recent Champions League defeat at Bayern Munich.

Seventh-placed Tottenham were looking to recover from the loss to Chelsea, which knocked hopes of a swift jump into the top four.

Harry Winks came into the starting XI for Eric Dier, who dropped to the bench. Winks and Moussa Sissoko were set to provide the midfield shield to the Spurs back four, which was unchanged for the visit of the 13th-placed Seagulls.

Jan Vertonghen made his 300th appearance for the home side.

Tottenham boss Jose Mourinho praised Ryan Sessegnon's display in their 3-1 defeat to Bayern Munich in the Champions League - but feels the youngster still has a lot to learn.

Sessegnon scored his maiden goal for Spurs during an eye-catching Champions League debut at the Allianz Arena on Wednesday.

It was also the 19-year-old's first start for the club since his move from Fulham and Mourinho was suitably impressed, albeit adding there is plenty of room for improvement.

"That is the quality we know he has. He arrives always in dangerous positions and he is a good finisher," Mourinho told BT Sport.

"He has a lot to improve. He lost too many individual duels and he has to learn how to use his body. 

"He was playing experienced players and has a lot to develop, but the potential is there."

Sessegnon became Tottenham's youngest scorer in the Champions League when he netted in the 20th minute of the game - and he hopes the goal can help ignite his career with the club.

He said: "I felt good. I was a bit tired at the end but to get the goal on my first start is a special moment.

"Definitely this can help kick-start my Tottenham career. I was injured when I got here and it was difficult at the start.

"I am back in the team now and just want to get more minutes under my belt."

With both Spurs and Bayern already qualified from Group B, Mourinho opted to take a look at some of his fringe players during the game in Germany.

"It was a good match for me," he said. "I don't want to speak about conclusions because it is too strong of a word.

"But I would say some important information. Today I also learn a lot about Juan Foyth, who until today did not play a minute for me before.

"We played a good team and it was a good test. Of course, I would prefer to win or draw. I would prefer to score in the last minute and lose 3-2 rather than 3-1. 

"But we knew the match was important for other reasons and we did not want a result which left a shadow on us."

Bayern Munich completed a perfect Group B campaign with a 3-1 win over a weakened Tottenham in the Champions League on Wednesday.

Both clubs had already confirmed their places in the knockout stage, and several starting XI changes - including six made by Jose Mourinho - led to an open affair.

Bayern were superior for long periods after Kingsley Coman's early opener, although Ryan Sessegnon marked his full Tottenham debut with the equaliser six minutes later.

Thomas Muller replaced an injured Coman and restored Bayern's advantage on the stroke of half-time before Phillipe Coutinho curled the Bundesliga side out of sight, the goal confirming a second defeat for Mourinho in charge of pool runners-up Spurs.

Tottenham were given two warnings before Coman cushioned Serge Gnabry's deflected pass and stroked the 14th-minute opener into the bottom-right corner.

Spurs quickly responded through Sessegnon. The 19-year-old rifled past Manuel Neuer at the near post after Jerome Boateng turned the ball into his path and, in the process, became Tottenham's youngest Champions League goalscorer.

But after losing Coman to a suspected hyperextension of his left knee, Bayern's advantage was restored by replacement Muller, making amends following a gilt-edged Thiago Alcantara miss on the rebound from a Gnabry shot against the post.

Muller was perfectly placed to convert the loose ball in the 45th minute after the upright denied Alphonso Davies at close range.

There was time left in a breathless first half for Coutinho to unleash a long-range shot that Gazzaniga tipped against the crossbar.

The Brazilian would not be denied in the 64th minute, his curling finish from the edge of the area giving the besieged Tottenham goalkeeper no chance.

Son Heung-min appeared off the bench for Spurs but the Premier League outfit were largely toothless in the absence of the rested Harry Kane as they slumped to a second loss in three games in all competitions.

Harry Kane is missing from Tottenham's team to take on Everton at Goodison Park, the England striker reportedly ruled out through illness.

Kane's absence leaves a sizeable void in Spurs' attack for the Premier League fixture on Sunday, with Mauricio Pochettino picking Lucas Moura to start up front.

Ben Davies comes into the XI for the suspended Danny Rose and is named captain, with Tanguy Ndombele also starting for the visitors.

Christian Eriksen, meanwhile, retains his place in Pochettino's midfield, while Ryan Sessegnon is in the matchday squad for the first time.

Everton will be relieved at Kane's absence – the 26-year-old has scored two goals in each of his last four league appearances against the Toffees.

He was also on target on Merseyside last weekend, though his goal inside the opening minute against Liverpool ended up being in a losing cause, with a 2-1 reverse at Anfield stretching Spurs' winless run on the road in the Premier League to 11 games.

As for the hosts, Marco Silva make three changes. Djibril Sidibe, Tom Davies and Theo Walcott are drafted into the starting line-up.

Mauricio Pochettino believes Dele Alli will recapture his best form but feels the "massive" pressure on the player is sometimes unfair.

The Tottenham attacking midfielder has been criticised for his performances during 2019, most recently by former Manchester United captain Roy Keane, who accused the England international of losing his "hunger".

Pochettino accepts Alli has not been playing at his best, but the Spurs manager has warned people not to expect too much from a player who is still in the early part of his career.

"We need to remember that Dele is so young and the demand, the pressure on him is massive," Pochettino told reporters on Friday. "Everyone expects big things: he's English, he's an international, but he's still 23 years old.

"He was fantastic, and of course he dropped a little bit in his performance, but we need to help and to back him, not to pay attention too much and try to improve and be strong again."

Pochettino's side head to Everton on Sunday having won only three of 13 matches in all competitions since they beat Aston Villa 3-1 on the opening day of the Premier League season.

They took an early lead against Liverpool last weekend but could not withstand the pressure from the leaders, eventually losing 2-1 to drop to 11th in the table.

However, Pochettino is calling for his players to be positive as they look to get their season back on track.

"It was an important week to recover feelings after a tough game against Liverpool," Pochettino said. "It was important again to create that atmosphere that you want. It's a situation that only we can fix, winning games.

"We need to be positive – that positivity makes us believe we can beat any team. At the moment, we struggle a little bit, we drop a lot in our confidence. The most important thing is how we're going to finish. It's not nice to see yourself in the middle of the table, but that is our reality and we need to accept it. If you do not accept reality, you're going to struggle.

"In our minds, we know very well we need time, to be strong, be solid, and start winning because that's going to be the best thing for us."

Giovani Lo Celso came on as a substitute against Liverpool and will hope for more minutes at Goodison Park as he continues to recover from a hip injury sustained on international duty in September.

The midfielder was called up to the Argentina squad for this month's matches against Brazil and Uruguay, and Pochettino admits he is "not happy" at the prospect of him being involved.

"In general, always managers want players at home," Pochettino said. "For him, it's going to be tough because, again, when he's nearly fit to start again, he needs to go away and changing the dynamic of the training session, something can happen.

"Being honest, I am not happy, but I accept [it] because I always defend the national team and I always back the decision of the national team. I was a player – I know how it feels to play for your flag. What can I do? Nothing, only to show or describe my feelings."

Ryan Sessegnon may also hope to be involved against Everton, having yet to feature since his move from Fulham, but Pochettino is wary of rushing him back from a long-term hamstring problem.

"We are assessing all the players. We'll see. We have training tomorrow and we travel to Liverpool. We'll see if he can be involved or not," the Tottenham manager said.

"I cannot say he is complete in the way that you'd say, 'OK, we can trust him to play 90 minutes', but we have a big squad and sometimes it's difficult to give the possibility. He has to work hard: he's still young, it was a big injury, but for sure he's going to have the possibility to play in the future."

I wish I could decide my career like in Football Manager.

That was the thought of Christian Eriksen after he was unable to engineer a move away from Tottenham.

The transfer window slammed shut on Monday but Eriksen is still in the headlines.

 

TOP STORY – INTER EYE ERIKSEN BID

Inter are interested in making a January move for Tottenham star Eriksen, claims The Express.

Eriksen wanted to leave Spurs prior to the transfer window closing but a departure did not materialise amid reported interest from the likes of Real Madrid, Manchester United and Juventus.

Now, Antonio Conte's Inter could be willing to offer Eriksen a way out of London.

 

ROUND-UP

- According to The Sun, Inter may have a battle to secure Eriksen's signature. Having been linked during the transfer window, Manchester United are reportedly preparing a shock move for the Spurs star in January.

- Marca says Neymar's father "harassed" Real Madrid with phone calls as a return to Barcelona from Paris Saint-Germain became more unlikely.

- AS reports that Mariano Diaz rejected a move to Schalke prior to Monday's transfer deadline day. The Bundesliga side wanted Diaz, however, the Real Madrid forward opted to remain at the Santiago Bernabeu.

- Yannick Bolasie turned down the chance to join Russian giants CSKA Moscow over racism fears, according to the Daily Mail. He decided to swap Everton for Sporting CP on loan instead.

- What is better than one Sessegnon? Two. After signing Ryan from Fulham, Tottenham are targeting his twin brother Steven Sessegnon, says The Sun.

Tottenham will be without several players for their Premier League opener against Aston Villa but Mauricio Pochettino insists he is happy with his squad.

Dele Alli and new signing Ryan Sessegnon have been ruled out of the match with hamstring injuries, while defenders Juan Foyth and Ben Davies are sidelined by ankle and groin issues respectively.

Star forward Son Heung-min is set to serve the second of a three-game suspension, leaving manager Pochettino light on options at both ends of the pitch.

The Argentinian appeared frustrated last month when he claimed to have no influence over transfers as Tottenham took time to strengthen.

Versatile teenager Sessegnon and midfielder Giovani Lo Celso eventually arrived on deadline day, following club-record signing Tanguy Ndombele through the door.

"I am very happy," Pochettino told reporters on Friday. "I was happy with my squad and to add some more players, they can bring good energy and help us to achieve what we want.

"I was focused on trying to work hard to coach in the best way.

"I hoped the club would do the job that we want to try to bring players in and to try to be competitive with our opponents."

Pochettino admitted 19-year-old wing-back Sessegnon, who agreed a six-year deal, could be held back before entering the first-team equation.

"He doesn't have that much experience in the Premier League, maybe he is a little bit behind Lo Celso and Ndombele in age – they have more experience playing in a top level," he said.

"Maybe he needs three or four weeks out of the group, and we will see how he adapts.

"I think we have made signings for the future. The players will have opportunities to play. There is no pressure on him, or Lo Celso or Tanguy, they arrive from different leagues and they still need to adapt to the new philosophy and the new club.

"It is the responsibility of the senior players to help them, but it is important to give them time."

Romelu Lukaku has at last secured his move to Inter from Manchester United, having signed a five-year contract.

The Belgium international said the Nerazzurri were the only club he wanted to join after United accepted an €80million (£73m) deal.

Arsenal have finally managed to bolster their defence - and twice, too. Kieran Tierney moved from Celtic with around 11 minutes of the window to go, while David Luiz's transfer from Chelsea for a reported £8m was announced later.

Tottenham have completed the signing of Ryan Sessegnon from Fulham in a package that saw them pay around £25m and send Josh Onomah to the Championship club.

Spurs also managed to get Giovani Lo Celso over the line on a season-long loan with the option to buy, although talks for Paulo Dybala ended in frustration, the Argentina star instead staying at Juventus.

Watford broke their transfer record for Rennes winger Ismaila Sarr after landing Danny Welbeck on a free and tried to get Danny Rose in at left-back, but they were unable to get it done.

Spurs have allowed Cameron Carter-Vickers to leave, though, with the 21-year-old heading to Stoke City on loan.

Danny Drinkwater should get the chance for some first-team football - at least until January 6 - after Chelsea sent him to Burnley on a half-season loan.

Leicester City did not manage to replace Harry Maguire, but they did strike a late deal for Sampdoria midfielder Dennis Praet.

Manchester City could not resist signing one more full-back before the window closed - they splashed out a reported £11m (€12m) on Pedro Porro of Girona, who is expected to spend the season on loan with Real Valladolid.

The Premier League champions also brought in goalkeeper Scott Carson on loan from Derby County for the season.

One player who did not move was Wilfried Zaha, with Crystal Palace refusing to sanction a sale to Everton. It marked a positive day for Roy Hodgson's side, who signed James McCarthy and Victor Camarasa to bolster the midfield.

Instead, the Toffees turned to Arsenal's Alex Iwobi and are believed to have got the formalities of a deal concluded before the deadline - although they have not yet announced his arrival - while they have loaned Muhamed Besic to Sheffield United.

Aaron Mooy joined Brighton and Hove Albion on a season-long loan from Huddersfield Town, who got Trevoh Chalobah from Chelsea for 2019-20. West Brom secured Charlie Austin on a two-year deal and Grady Diangana on loan, and Leeds United snapped up Eddie Nketiah from Arsenal to boost their promotion push.

There was also a notable homecoming at Newcastle United, as free agent Andy Carroll finalised terms before the deadline, while Jacob Murphy left St James' Park for a loan move to Sheffield Wednesday.

Tottenham have completed the signing of versatile left-back Ryan Sessegnon from Fulham in a player-plus-cash transfer that sees Josh Onomah move the opposite way.

Sessegnon has been repeatedly linked with Tottenham over the past 18 months and an agreement has now been reached between the London clubs.

Spurs will reportedly pay Fulham £25million for the 19-year-old, with academy product Onomah - who has spent back-to-back campaigns on loan in the Championship with Aston Villa and Sheffield Wednesday - included as part of the deal.

England Under-21 international Sessegnon boasts one season of Premier League experience after appearing 35 times for relegated Fulham in 2018-19, scoring twice and laying on six assists for his team-mates.

He becomes Tottenham's fourth signing of the close season following the arrivals of Tanguy Ndombele, Giovani Lo Celso and Jack Clarke, who was loaned straight back to Leeds United.

The transfer window slams shut in England on Thursday and Romelu Lukaku is finally set to get his move.

Linked to Inter and Juventus throughout the off-season, Manchester United striker Lukaku is poised to swap Old Trafford for San Siro in Milan.

Lukaku's exit could trigger United to make a late dash for his replacement.

 

TOP STORY – LUKAKU TO SWAP UNITED FOR INTER

After months of speculation, Lukaku will swap Manchester United for Serie A side Inter according to widespread reports.

Lukaku landed in Milan in the early hours of Thursday morning ahead of his €75million (£70m) move to Inter.

Inter will reportedly pay a €65m fixed fee and €10m in add-ons, with the deal also including a five per cent cut of any future sale.

 

ROUND-UP

- With Lukaku leaving Old Trafford, United are willing to pay the £81m (€88m) release clause to lure Inaki Williams from Athletic Bilbao, reports El Chiringuito TV. The Red Devils are also continuing to be linked to Juventus' Mario Mandzukic and former Tottenham striker Fernando Llorente, who is a free agent.

Tottenham are set to complete deadline-day deals for Real Betis midfielder Giovani Lo Celso and Fulham's Ryan Sessegnon, reports the Telegraph. Spurs are hopeful of clinching a transfer for Lo Celso at £55m (€59.7m), while Sessegnon could cost £20m.

- According to Sport, Real Madrid have offered €120m plus Luka Modric for wantaway Paris Saint-Germain star Neymar. Barcelona have been linked with their former forward but the LaLiga champions must raise funds before trying to re-sign the Brazil international. Barca could free up space by selling Philippe Coutinho, who has reportedly attracted interest from Premier League trio United, Tottenham and Arsenal.

Arsenal are set for a busy deadline day. The Sun reports the Gunners could land Chelsea defender David Luiz in a £12m deal, while Unai Emery's side have agreed a Scottish transfer record fee of £25m for Celtic left-back Kieran Tierney, according to the BBC.

- Tottenham have agreed to sign Juventus star Paulo Dybala but the player's image rights are holding up the deal, says the Independent. Dybala has also been linked to Paris Saint-Germain after turning down a move to Manchester United.

- Sportitalia says Wolves have agreed a £23m (€25m) fee to sign AC Milan midfielder Franck Kessie, who reportedly wants a wage increase. Wolves have already signed Patrick Cutrone from Milan.

- According to Sky Sports, Crystal Palace star Wilfried Zaha has handed in a transfer request as Everton look to sign the former Manchester United forward.

Mario Balotelli is on the verge of joining Brazilian side Flamengo until December 2021. That is according to La Gazzetta dello Sport and Sky Sport Italia. Balotelli is a free agent following his Marseille exit.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.