Shannon Gabriel, Darren Bravo recalled ahead of second Betway Test against South Africa

By Sports Desk June 17, 2021

Fast bowler Shannon Gabriel and middle-order batsman Darren Bravo have been recalled to the West Indies squad ahead of the second Betway Test match at the Darren Sammy Cricket Stadium in St Lucia starting on Friday, June 18.

Meanwhile, Nkrumah Bonner, who was struck on the head during the first match that the West Indies lost by an innings and 63 runs inside three days, remains unavailable due to concussion protocols. Alzarri Joseph has also failed to break into the squad following his short stint playing in England.

“Shannon Gabriel has been declared fully fit and as someone who was the spearhead of the attack before, he has returned to the 13-man squad. With Bravo, we have someone who is an experienced batsman and gives us a quality batting option,” said CWI Chief Selector Roger Harper, who said the team has to significantly improve on its performance from the last Test in which the West Indies were bowled out for scores of 97 and 162 against a disciplined and incisive South African attack.

“The team now has to play to the standard we know we’re capable of. We didn’t bat anywhere near to our potential in the first Betway Test and we have to improve with the bat in this upcoming match.”

The full squad is Kraigg Brathwaite (Captain), Jermaine Blackwood (Vice-Captain), Darren Bravo, Roston Chase, Rahkeem Cornwall, Joshua Da Silva, Shannon Gabriel, Jason Holder, Shai Hope, Kyle Mayers, Kieran Powell, Kemar Roach and Jayden Seales.

The second Betway Test Match bowls off on Friday, June 18 at 10 am (9 am Jamaica Time) at the Daren Sammy Cricket Ground. The series will be contested for the Sir Vivian Richards Trophy.

 

 

 

Related items

  • South Africa's Erasmus to face misconduct hearing after criticising match officials South Africa's Erasmus to face misconduct hearing after criticising match officials

    South Africa's director of rugby Rassie Erasmus is to face a misconduct hearing after publicly criticising the match officials following their first Test defeat to the British and Irish Lions.

    Erasmus accused the Lions of "reckless and dangerous" play in their 22-17 win last month and hit out at the standard of refereeing from Nic Berry.

    The 48-year-old made the claims in a 62-minute clip posted on social media as he highlighted what he felt were a number of calls that went against South Africa.

    He also retweeted clips from an anonymous Twitter user, alleged to be one of his own accounts, highlighting "questionable calls" made by the tourists.

    World Rugby has now cited Erasmus for his comments and he, along with South African Rugby, will face a judicial hearing.

    "Match officials are the backbone of the sport, and without them there is no game," a statement from the rugby governing body read on Monday.

    "World Rugby condemns any public criticism of their selection, performance or integrity which undermines their role, the well established and trust-based coach-officials feedback process, and more importantly, the values that are at the heart of the sport.

    "Having conducted a full review of all the available information, World Rugby is concerned that individuals from both teams have commented on the selection and/or performance of match officials.

    "However, the extensive and direct nature of the comments made by Rassie Erasmus within a video address, in particular, meets the threshold to be considered a breach of World Rugby regulation 18 (misconduct and code of conduct) and will now be considered by an independent disciplinary panel.

    "World Rugby has reminded the management of both teams of the importance of this area and their obligations regarding the values of the sport."

    In response, SA Rugby posted a brief statement on Twitter, which read: "SA Rugby has noted the charges brought by World Rugby and will respond through the designated channels. There will be no further comment from SA Rugby until the process is complete."

    South Africa defeated the Lions 27-9 in a fiery encounter at the weekend to level the three-match series at 1-1 and set up a decider in Cape Town on Saturday.

    Erasmus, who has doubled up as a water carrier, may still be present for that showdown as a hearing date has not yet been set by World Rugby.

  • Pooran fireworks not enough as Windies fall seven runs short in loss to Pakistan Pooran fireworks not enough as Windies fall seven runs short in loss to Pakistan

    West Indies vice-captain Nicholas Pooran played a sizzling career-best knock while fast bowler Jason Holder took career-best bowling figures, but Pakistan's bowling attack did just enough to take them to victory in the second match on Saturday.

    Pooran's explosive unbeaten 62 off 33 balls with six 6s and four 4s kept the West Indies in with a chance of overcoming the target, even to the final over when 20 runs were required to overhaul Pakistan's total of 157-8.

    However, Shaheen Shah Afridi claimed the wicket of captain Kieron Pollard (13) and then denied the rampant Pooran the opportunity to swing freely and lustily at the next three deliveries to ensure the visitors came away with the win, with the hosts kept to 150-4 off 20 overs.

    West Indies suffered a setback when opening batsman Evin Lewis retired hurt on 35 off 33 balls with two fours and two sixes mid-way through the innings.

    Earlier in the match, it was Holder and Dwayne Bravo who combined to put the brakes on the Pakistan scoring rate. Holder returned the excellent figures of 4-26 while Bravo, the leading wicket-taker in all T20 cricket, claimed 2-24 as the tourists squandered a solid platform provided by Babar Azam and Mohammad Rizwan.

    Babar’s polished 51 off 58 balls with two sixes and four 4s was the top score of the innings. He put on 67 runs for the third wicket with Rizwan (46) after Sharjeel Khan and Rizwan had set the stage for a challenging target in putting on 56.

    Pollard, who played the supporting role in a 70-run fourth-wicket partnership with Pooran to revive the West Indies chances, gave credit to the West Indies bowlers for limiting the visitors after he chose to put them in to bat.

     “We were staring down the barrel of a 170-plus total and I was really happy with the way the bowlers battled back in the latter half of their innings,” Pollard said.

    “We had to try and explode towards the end, but it just didn't work out.”

  • Lions full-back Hogg 'annoyed and upset' by Le Roux bite allegations Lions full-back Hogg 'annoyed and upset' by Le Roux bite allegations

    British and Irish Lions full-back Stuart Hogg has denied biting South Africa's Willie Le Roux and says he is "annoyed and upset" by the allegations.

    Footage emerged on Saturday of Hogg clashing with opposite number Le Roux during the Lions' contentious 27-9 loss to the world champions in Cape Town.

    The coming together occurred following Cheslin Kolbe's tackle in the air on Conor Murray, with Hogg pressing his face against Le Roux's arm in the scuffle that ensued before being pushed away.

    That was one of a number of heated incidents in the ill-tempered contest, which saw South Africa level the three-match series at 1-1 to set up a decider next week.

    Citing commissioner Scott Nowland has yet to rule on the clash between Hogg and Le Roux, but the Scotland captain has denied any wrongdoing.

    "Following speculation that has surfaced online, I would like to categorically deny any foul play in last night's game," Hogg said in a statement issued by the Lions on Sunday.

    "I would never bite an opponent and I am annoyed and upset by this unsubstantiated accusation. I've always been proud of playing rugby in the spirit of the game.

    "Respect to the Springboks for their deserved win. The squad is hurting after last night's defeat, but it's all to play for next week. 

    "It's going to be a cup final and everyone's going to be up for it."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.