Mercedes request review of Verstappen-Hamilton Sao Paulo Grand Prix clash

By Sports Desk November 16, 2021

Mercedes have requested a review of the decision not to take any action against Max Verstappen for an incident involving Lewis Hamilton during the Sao Paulo Grand Prix.

Hamilton and Verstappen went off track when the Brit tried to pass the Red Bull driver and move into the lead at Turn 4 on lap 48 of the race on Sunday.

The stewards "noted" the incident, but did not see any reason to penalise the Dutchman.

Hamilton went on to win the race, reducing Verstappen's lead in an enthralling Formula One title race to 14 points with three races to go.

The Silver Arrows on Tuesday revealed they have asked for the stewards to take another look at the incident on the basis of "new evidence."

A short statement from the team read: "The Mercedes-AMG Petronas F1 Team confirms that we have today requested a Right of Review under Article 14.1.1 of the International Sporting Code, in relation to the Turn 4 incident between Car 44 and Car 33 on lap 48 of the Brazilian Grand prix, on the basis of new evidence unavailable to the stewards at the time of their decision."

F1 confirmed that the stewards will now meet with representatives from the team to assess the new evidence.

Mercedes team principal Toto Wolff branded Verstappen's defence as "over the line", but Red Bull boss Christian Horner saw nothing untoward.

He said: "Penalty for what? I mean, there's no advantage gained, there's no contact been made, so… I think it's just hard racing between the two of them.

"And yes, I think that the stewards actually made the right decision on that. We've talked about this many, many times, about the 'let them race' mentality. I think they made the right call today.

"It's two guys running hard. Lewis has got a run around the outside, Max has gone in deep, they've both gone wide. It would have been really unfair to penalise on that. If it had been the other way round, I'd have told my sporting director to have a moan about it, but I wouldn't have expected to get anything from it.

"You want to see the guys going hard at it. You know with Max, he's going to race hard, Lewis is exactly the same. That's two guys fighting for a world championship so it's going to be tough racing. I think it was fair, there was no contact, and they rejoined and recommenced it a few laps later."

Related items

  • Espargaro confirmed to have fractured heel, does not require surgery Espargaro confirmed to have fractured heel, does not require surgery

    MotoGP title hopeful Aleix Espargaro is confirmed to have fractured his heel during a highside at Silverstone.

    The Aprilia rider suffered the injury during the final free practice session at the British MotoGP on Saturday and was stretchered away from the scene before hobbling to the medical tent.

    Espargaro returned for Saturday's qualifying session and secured sixth place, taking his place on the second row on Sunday following doubts over whether he would be fit to race.

    The 33-year-old was unable to compete for the win but secured a ninth-placed finish, picking up seven points and coming in just behind title rival Fabio Quartararo – who he trails by 22 points in the standings.

    Espargaro has now been prescribed a week of rest, during which time he will have to use crutches, but the Spaniard does not require surgery.

    With Espargaro carrying an injury and Quartararo having to serve a long-lap penalty, Francesco Bagnaia took the victory at Silverstone for the second race in a row to boost his title hopes.

    The MotoGP season continues from August 19-21 in Austria.

    A great launch from @FabioQ20 saw Maverick squeezed into a gap that was closing quickly! #BritishGP ?? pic.twitter.com/i9kiaQHJ3o

    — MotoGP (@MotoGP) August 7, 2022
  • Hamilton: 'Worst fears came alive' in controversial Abu Dhabi title controversy Hamilton: 'Worst fears came alive' in controversial Abu Dhabi title controversy

    Lewis Hamilton has opened up on his emotions following the controversial end to the 2021 Formula One season, admitting his "worst fears came alive" in Abu Dhabi.

    The Mercedes driver was at the tail-end of a fierce battle with Red Bull's Max Verstappen for the championship in last year's finale, knowing a record eighth world title would be clinched if he finished ahead of his rival.

    On lap 53, Hamilton led but drama would soon erupt as Williams' Nicholas Latifi crashed into the barrier at the exit of turn 14 and the safety car was deployed.

    Under FIA guidelines, lapped cars are allowed to overtake behind the safety car but that guidance was not followed by race director Michael Masi, who instead only allowed the cars between Verstappen and Hamilton to move through.

    Verstappen, having pitted, then completed an overtake of a defenceless Hamilton at the restart to clinch his maiden title.

    The controversy that followed rumbled on for months, with Masi departing his role prior to the start of the 2022 season, and Hamilton has now spoken about his feelings regarding the incident.

    "You see things start to unfold and my worst fears came alive," he told Vanity Fair.

    "I was like, there's no way they're going to cheat me out of this. There's no way. That won't happen. Surely not.

    "I don't know if I can really put into words the feeling that I had. I do remember just sitting there just in disbelief. 

    "And realizing I've got to undo my belts, I've got to get out of there, I've got to climb out of this thing, I've got to find the strength. I had no strength.  And it was one of the toughest moments, I would say, that I've had in a long, long time.

    "I knew what had happened. I knew what decisions had been made and why. Yes, I knew that something wasn't right."

    Ahead of the 2022 season, questions were raised whether Hamilton would return to the grid, and he admits that he considered retirement.

    "I, for sure, considered whether I wanted to continue," he confirmed.

    Hamilton did return, racing alongside new teammate George Russell, but has not been able to compete for the crown, instead encountering numerous issues with Mercedes unable to compete with Red Bull and Ferrari at the start of the season.

    Better fortune was found ahead of F1's summer break, with back-to-back podium finishes for both drivers, but Hamilton remains 112 points adrift of Verstappen in the standings.

  • Zarco 'surprised' by Silverstone crash as he misses out on first win Zarco 'surprised' by Silverstone crash as he misses out on first win

    Johann Zarco was "surprised" by his crash at Silverstone that denied him the chance to secure a first MotoGP victory.

    The Pramac Racing driver started the British Grand Prix on pole as the season resumed following a five-week break and was able to maintain his lead in the early laps of the race.

    A crash at turn eight on lap five ended that charge, however, with Zarco initially continuing but later returning to the pits and retiring from the race.

    It was the eighth time in the premier class that Zarco has failed to turn pole position into a victory, and he felt his tyres were the reason why he missed out again.

    "The warm temperature pushed me to take this medium front – that was a good tyre anyway because Pecco [Francesco Bagnaia] won on it, but it seemed for me, it was the reason of the crash, because there’s always a bit less grip with this tyre," he said.

    "But I was too worried to go with the soft one and not finish the race on a good pace, overall. The medium one, I knew it pretty well, so that's why I was quite confident, and the first laps were pretty good.

    "But I was surprised in that Turn 8. And clearly I'm disappointed, and it's pretty hard to put all the things together to put the victory."

    Zarco's failure to finish saw him drop to fifth in the championship standings, now sitting 66 points behind leader Fabio Quartararo - with Sunday's race at Silverstone being a missed opportunity to close the gap, as the Monster Energy Yamaha rider only finished eighth after having to serve an early long-lap penalty.

    The championship standings do not paint a pretty picture for the Frenchman, but he believes further opportunities will arise.

    "I hope I will be in good form again in Austria, because what I could feel during this weekend and even during the race helped me to grow on the Ducati and get even more feeling as I want," he added.

    "So, yeah, the most positive of today is this feeling that I could take during the race, and understand even more this tyre that sometimes seems a tricky choice, because for nothing you can be hero or zero."

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.