U.S. Open: Rahm knew fairytale story would have happy ending

By Sports Desk June 20, 2021

U.S. Open champion Jon Rahm knew his "fairytale story" would have a "happy ending" after celebrating his first major title.

Rahm earned a breakthrough triumph at Torrey Pines after outlasting Louis Oosthuizen by one stroke following his final-round 67 in San Diego on Sunday.

The 26-year-old Rahm birdied his final two holes as he became the fourth Spanish player to claim a major and first at the U.S. Open.

"It felt like such a fairytale story that I knew it was going to have a happy ending," Rahm, whose previous best major performance was tied for third at the 2019 U.S. Open, said during his news conference.

"I could just tell, just going down the fairway after that first tee shot, that second shot, and that birdie, I knew there was something special in the air. I could just feel it. I just knew it.

"I couldn't have told you in the moment I felt something special. That's why I played as aggressive as I did because it was like, man, this is my day; everything's going to go right. I felt like that helped me become. I just knew that I could do it and believed it."

"I'm still a little bit on golf mode, right? I feel like, when I'm in that mode, it takes me a while to get out of it," he added. "It probably won't happen tonight. It might happen tomorrow. I don't know, at some point it will hit me. I'm still thinking there might be a playoff. I've been scarred before.

"It's incredible that I'm sitting next to this trophy. A couple weeks ago, I watched my good friend Phil [Mickelson] win it [US PGA Championship]. I took a lot of inspiration from that. I've been close before, and I just knew on a Sunday, the way I have been playing the last few majors, I just had to be close. I knew I could get it done. I'm keeping that good Sunday mojo going. Man, I got it done in a fashion that apparently can only happen to me at Torrey Pines."

Rahm's success came after he was forced to withdraw from the Memorial Tournament when leading by six shots, having tested positive for coronavirus earlier this month.

"I believed from the biggest setbacks we can get some of the biggest breakthroughs, and that's why I stay so positive," said Rahm.

"That's why I kept telling Kelley, when she was devastated about what happened and my family and everybody around me, something good is going to come. I don't know what, but something good is going to come, and I felt it today out there on the golf course."

Oosthuizen was in a three-way share of the lead heading into the deciding round and opened up a one-shot lead on a gripping final day.

But Oosthuizen (71) – the 2010 Open Championship winner – was unable to keep Rahm at bay.

"Right now I didn't win it. I'm second again. It's frustrating. It's disappointing," said Oosthuizen.

"I'm playing good golf, but it's winning a major championship is not just going to happen. You need to go out and play good golf.

"I played good today, but I didn't play good enough."

Related items

  • Werner 'lost a bit of the fun' under Tuchel at Chelsea Werner 'lost a bit of the fun' under Tuchel at Chelsea

    Timo Werner "lost a bit of the fun" playing under Thomas Tuchel at Chelsea after losing his place in the side ahead of returning to RB Leipzig.

    Germany international Werner sealed a permanent move back to Leipzig last week, just two years on from joining Chelsea in a £47.5million (€50m) deal.

    Werner struggled to live up his price tag at Stamford Bridge as he scored just 10 Premier League goals in 56 appearances, and 23 goals in 89 games overall.

    The 26-year-old found playing time hard to come by in the 2021-22 campaign, starting just 15 out of a possible 38 league matches – only the 15th most of all Chelsea players.

    After bringing an end to his Stamford Bridge stay, Werner has explained he opted for a return to Leipzig as he wants to play regularly again with an eye on Qatar 2022.

    "For me, having fun playing football is the most important thing," Werner, who won the Champions League with Chelsea in 2021, told the Einfach mal Luppen podcast. 

    "I was very successful at Chelsea, but in the end I lost a bit of the fun because I didn't play regularly any more.

    "I think the coach's game system didn't suit me perfectly. So it was clear to me that I wanted to take a new step. I'm at an age where I want to play as much as I can."

    As well as playing a part in last year's Champions League triumph, Werner also won the European Super Cup and Club World Cup with Chelsea.

    Werner was spotted in the Stamford Bridge stands during Sunday's 2-2 draw with Tottenham and says he will forever be connected to the west London side.

    "I really associate Chelsea with great successes – the greatest of my career," he said. "It'll always be a special club for me. I'll stay in contact with many players from the team."

     

    Werner contributed to 40 goals in 89 appearances for Chelsea, which was bettered only by Mason Mount (46 goal involvements in 108 games) during his time at the club.

    The ex-Stuttgart star netted just 36 minutes into his second debut for Leipzig in last week's meeting with Koln, scoring from his only attempt, yet it was only enough for a 2-2 draw.

    "I would have liked a win to start," Werner said. "Still, I can't complain because the team have welcomed me back and I was involved right away.

    "We have a great squad here and, if we improve further, we can achieve a lot with this team in terms of trophies."

  • West Ham sign Germany defender Kehrer from PSG West Ham sign Germany defender Kehrer from PSG

    West Ham have signed Germany international defender Thilo Kehrer from Paris Saint-Germain in a reported £10.1million (€12m) deal.

    Kehrer has penned a four-year contract at London Stadium with the option of a further two years and becomes West Ham's sixth signing of the window.

    The 25-year-old has spent the past four seasons with PSG and played 128 times for the Ligue 1 side, a tally bettered only by five others since the start of the 2018-19 season.

    He won seven trophies with the Parisians, including three Ligue 1 titles, and was part of the squad that reached the 2019-20 Champions League final.

    At international level, Kehrer has been capped 20 times by Germany, with no player featuring more times since Hansi Flick took over as head coach in May 2021. 

    Kehrer, who was into the final year of his PSG contract and had also been linked with Sevilla, is now looking forward to beginning a new chapter in the English top flight.

    "I'm very excited to sign for West Ham," Kehrer, who can play at left-back or centre-back, told his new club's official website.

    "This is the best league in the world and I'm excited about coming to play in the Premier League. I talked to the manager and he told me about how he sees me fitting in at the club. 

    "My biggest goal now is to get into the team, integrate myself within the group and enjoy playing for West Ham."

    Kehrer follows Nayef Aguerd, Alphonse Areola, Gianluca Scamacca, Maxwel Cornet and Flynn Downes in joining West Ham this window.

    David Moyes' side have begun their Premier League campaign with back-to-back defeats without scoring and next face Viborg in a Europa Conference League qualifier on Thursday.

  • 'We don't have Azerbaijan to play' – Tite hits back at Mbappe's CONMEBOL comments 'We don't have Azerbaijan to play' – Tite hits back at Mbappe's CONMEBOL comments

    Brazil head coach Tite has rebuffed Kylian Mbappe's suggestion that World Cup qualifying is more difficult for teams in Europe than it is in South America.

    Paris Saint-Germain and France forward Mbappe said in May that European teams have an advantage in the global showpiece due to playing "high-level matches" in qualifying.

    Mbappe, who lifted the World Cup with France in 2018, added that football in South America "is not as developed as in Europe".

    However, Brazil boss Tite does not agree with those comments and feels the quality of football in the CONMEBOL region is as high as anywhere in the world.

    "Maybe he is talking about these Nations League clashes or European friendlies, but not World Cup qualifiers," Tite told ESPN.

    "We don't have, with all due respect, Azerbaijan to play. We don't have anyone that gives you a break.

    "The qualifiers here have a much higher degree of difficulty than the group stage [of European qualifying]."

    The past four editions of the World Cup have been won by European teams – Italy in 2006, Spain in 2010, Germany in 2014 and France in 2018.

    That is the longest run of victories for a single continent in the history of the tournament, with only one runner-up – Argentina in 2014 – coming from outside the continent.

    Indeed, 12 of the previous 21 World Cups have been won by European teams, with South America responsible for the other nine winners.

    France booked their spot at Qatar 2022 by finishing top of their qualifying group with five wins and three draws from their eight matches.

    Brazil also went unbeaten in qualifying thanks to 14 wins and three draws en route to finishing six points ahead of Argentina in top spot in the 10-team pool.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.