NFL

Panthers QB Newton accepts part of blame for Brady's sacking

By Sports Desk December 09, 2021

Carolina Panthers quarterback Cam Newton has accepted some of the blame for the franchise's decision to fire offensive coordinator Joe Brady.

Brady was dismissed by Panthers head coach Matt Rhule earlier this week in the wake of their 33-10 loss to the Miami Dolphins.

The Panthers have lost three of their past four games and are 5-7 across the season, sitting second in the NFC South behind the Tampa Bay Buccaneers (9-3).

Newton, who returned to the Panthers last month for a second stint, has completed 29 of 52 attempts for 289 yards for three touchdowns in his three games for Carolina this season.

The quarterback failed to land any touchdowns with a 23.8 percent completion rate with two interceptions in the defeat to the Dolphins prior to their bye, making five of 21 attempts for 92 yards

"Do I think I had something to do with it?" Newton told reporters on Thursday when asked about Brady's dismissal. "The competitor in me, absolutely, yes. Because the truth of the matter is you don't lose your job because of success.

"Where I'm at now is doing what I can control to make sure that I have a job, too. Let's just be honest."

The Panthers' struggles on offense have been present before Newton's return to Carolina, having gone three straight games without a touchdown with Sam Darnold at QB.

Jeff Nixon has been handed the role as the Panthers' new offensive coordinator.

"I'm not going to lie, I'm proud to be in the position I'm in," Nixon said. "I'm extremely happy Coach Rhule gave me this opportunity. I'm going to try to make the most of it.

"I know in the past there really hasn't been a lot of people who look like me in this position, so I don't take that lightly. I'm going to do my best and try to represent others like me and do the best job I can."

Newton added: "I'm here to win. When we win, everyone else gets promotions. When we don't, people get cut along the way."

Related items

  • Favre would be 'shocked' if Adams matches Green Bay production in Las Vegas Favre would be 'shocked' if Adams matches Green Bay production in Las Vegas

    Green Bay Packers great Brett Favre would be shocked if star receiver Davante Adams has the same production with the Las Vegas Raiders as he had playing alongside quarterback Aaron Rodgers.

    Adams signed a five-year, $141.25million contract extension with the Raiders after a blockbuster offseason trade from the Packers, turning down an offer of more money to remain in Green Bay.

    The pass-catcher left four-time MVP and 38-year-old Rodgers to reunite with Derek Carr, who was his QB in college at Fresno State.

    Favre is in no doubt the presence of Adams will improve Carr and the Raiders but would be surprised if the wideout was able to match his career-best totals of 123 receptions for 1,553 yards last season.

    Adams also caught 11 touchdowns in 2021, which was his second straight All-Pro season, having grabbed an incredible 18 the year before. 

    "Derek Carr is a very good quarterback, but he's not in Aaron's league yet," Favre said to TMZ Sports.

    "He may never be, and that's no disrespect either, but I do think that Davante owes a great deal of gratitude to Aaron and the Packers drafting him.

    "That's not to say he's not a great player because he is a tremendous player and we'll see that with Las Vegas. 

    "But it's just hard to shift gears, especially from a player as prolific as Aaron Rodgers. 

    "I'd be shocked if he had the same year he's had this year. That's not to say he can't do it, but I would be shocked."

    Favre added: "No disrespect to Davante at all - zero disrespect. I do think that Davante will make Derek Carr better and, in time, they will be a dynamic duo. 

    "Now will it be the duo that Aaron and Davante had? Time will tell."

    Adams and Carr will be part of a star-studded AFC West in 2022.

    The Kansas City Chiefs have won the division for six straight years and made four straight AFC Championship Games, but all three of their rivals go into the year with postseason aspirations.

    Las Vegas have added Adams as one of many high-profile moves and the Denver Broncos traded for star QB Russell Wilson.

    The Los Angeles Chargers, meanwhile, have high expectations as they surround Justin Herbert with one of the NFL's strongest all-round rosters.

  • Barcelona complete signing of Kessie following Milan departure Barcelona complete signing of Kessie following Milan departure

    Barcelona have confirmed the signing of Franck Kessie on a free transfer following the end of his spell with Milan.

    The midfielder has agreed a four-year deal with the Blaugrana, which was made official on Monday following months of speculation.

    Kessie spent five seasons at San Siro, the first two of those on loan, and helped Milan to their first Scudetto triumph in 11 years in his final campaign with the club.

    He played in 31 of Milan's 38 Serie A matches and scored six goals from midfield, a tally only bettered by Zlatan Ibrahimovic (eight), Rafael Leao and Olivier Giroud (both 11).

    However, fresh terms could not be agreed between the Rossoneri and Kessie, meaning the Ivory Coast international became a free agent on July 1.

    Barca were always considered the strong favourites to land the 25-year-old, whose Camp Nou contract contains a €500million release clause.

     

    Kessie will compete with the likes of Sergio Busquets, Pedri, Gavi and Frenkie de Jong for a midfield spot, though the latter is expected to join Manchester United.

    In all, Kessie played 174 Serie A games for Milan since initially joining from Atalanta in June 2017, with Napoli's Piotr Zielinski (179) the only midfielder to feature more times.

  • BREAKING NEWS: Barcelona complete signing of Kessie following Milan departure BREAKING NEWS: Barcelona complete signing of Kessie following Milan departure

    Barcelona have confirmed the signing of Franck Kessie on a free transfer following the end of his spell with Milan.

    The midfielder has agreed a four-year deal with the Blaugrana, which was made official on Monday following months of speculation.

    Kessie spent five seasons at San Siro, the first two of those on loan, and helped Milan to their first Scudetto triumph in 11 years in his final campaign with the club.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.