NFL

It only took one man – Arians hails Brady's impact at Buccaneers

By Sports Desk January 24, 2021

Bruce Arians hailed Tom Brady and said it "only took one man" to give the Tampa Bay Buccaneers the belief they needed to reach the Super Bowl.

The Buccaneers will become the first team in NFL history to play a home Super Bowl after beating the Green Bay Packers 31-26 in the NFC Championship Game on Sunday.

Tampa Bay reached the showpiece for the first time since 2003 and in Brady's first season with the team, the quarterback moving into his 10th Super Bowl.

Buccaneers head coach Arians lauded Brady's impact on the organisation.

Asked what six-time Super Bowl champion Brady had meant, Arians said: "This trophy. This trophy.

"The belief he gave everybody in this organisation that this could be done. It only took one man."

The Buccaneers were the 49th team to play a conference or league championship game on the road and have more turnovers (3-2) and fewer total yards (381-351) than their opponents. They are the first such team to win, as per Stats Perform.

Brady completed 20 of 36 passes for 280 yards, three touchdowns and three second-half interceptions, while Packers star Aaron Rodgers was 33 of 48 for 346 yards, three TDs and an interception.

"It's been a long process for the whole team and today was just a great team effort," Brady said.

"We played sporadically a little bit, but the defense came up huge and we're going to need it again in a couple of weeks.

"I know it's a big game coming up, but we get to enjoy this for a little bit and then get ready to go against whoever we play [the Kansas City Chiefs or Buffalo Bills]. It's going to be a great game."

Related items

  • 'I stand on my innocence' – Deshaun Watson reacts to extended 11-game NFL ban 'I stand on my innocence' – Deshaun Watson reacts to extended 11-game NFL ban

    Deshaun Watson apologised for "any pain this situation has caused" before the Cleveland Browns quarterback insisted that was not an admission of guilt on any level over the accusations of sexual misconduct made against him.

    Watson has received an 11-game suspension and a $5million fine after the NFL and NFL Players Association (NFLPA) reached an agreement over his punishment.

    The 26-year-old faced 24 civil lawsuits over sexual assault and misconduct allegations. He was not charged by two grand juries and settled 20 of 24 lawsuits in June, with a further three settlements reported ahead of a hearing verdict early this month.

    Watson was given an initial six-game suspension and no further fine after a disciplinary hearing conducted by former US district judge Sue L. Robinson. However, the NFL formally appealed against that ruling in order to seek further punishment, agreeing to the new sanctions with the NFLPA.

    Watson's first game back is scheduled to be on December 4, against his former team the Houston Texans.

    Having denied any wrongdoing after the accusations were made, Watson last week apologised to "all of the women that I have impacted".

    A similar message came on Thursday in a statement from the Browns, in which Watson said he wished to "apologise once again for any pain this situation has caused".

    "I take accountability for the decisions I made," Watson's statement added. "My focus going forward is on working to become the best version of myself on and off the field and supporting my team-mates however possible while I’m away from the team."

    Just minutes later, Watson faced the press and said he would continue to "stand by my innocence".

    Watson said it was important to swallow the punishment, stating: "My whole life has to be able to move forward."

    He spoke of needing "to grow as a person", but refused to offer a view on the level of punishment dished out.

    "I can't speak on the fairness," Watson said. "The NFL did what they had to do, and the NFLPA communicated with the legal side. I'm going to keep my opinion to myself."

    Watson was not mincing his words when he added: "I'm moving on with my career and my life, and I'm continuing to stand on my innocence. Just because a settlement's been paid, it doesn't mean a person is guilty for anything."

    When asked about whether he would tell all at some point, Watson said: "That's definitely the plan, that's definitely the goal. I've felt like through this whole process I've been trying to tell my side of the story, but a lot of people didn't really pay much attention to it."

    He said he needed "to do what's best for Deshaun Watson" and said he could not control public opinion.

    On top of the ban and fine, Watson will be required to commit to an evaluation with behavioural experts while also following a mandatory treatment programme. He says he wants to prove himself to the Cleveland community.

    "Counselling is definitely a big part of that," Watson said. "I'll continue to show my face and show people who I really am."

    Browns owners Dee and Jimmy Haslam issued a joint statement in which they spoke of "a real opportunity to create meaningful change", saying they were "committed to investing in programmes in Northeast Ohio that will educate our youth regarding awareness, understanding, and most importantly, prevention of sexual misconduct and the many underlying causes of such behaviour".

  • Liverpool the 'perfect game' for Man Utd to turn things around, warns Van Dijk Liverpool the 'perfect game' for Man Utd to turn things around, warns Van Dijk

    Facing Liverpool at Old Trafford is the "perfect game" for Manchester United to kick-start their season, Virgil van Dijk has warned.

    United followed up a 2-1 home loss against Brighton and Hove Albion in their opening Premier League game of the campaign with a heavy 4-0 defeat at Brentford last weekend.

    The Red Devils find themselves bottom for the first time since August 1992, which is the only previous occasion they lost their opening two games in the competition.

    Erik ten Hag is the first United manager to lose his opening two games in charge since John Chapman in 1921 and the Dutchman's task does not get any easier.

    United face fierce rivals Liverpool on Monday, when Van Dijk expects the home side to be extra motivated to get off the mark in front of their own fans.

    "It's massive, but it's not about making a statement. We want to win and do everything that's possible to win there," Van Dijk said. 

    "This year they've had a difficult start and we've not had the best start that we wanted either, so it will be interesting. 

    "Obviously they're not in the best situation confidence-wise probably, but it's the perfect game to turn it around for them."

    Liverpool finished one point behind champions Manchester City last season, but they have started the 2022-23 campaign with draws against Fulham and Crystal Palace.

    That makes Monday's encounter the first time that United and Liverpool have been winless in the Premier League heading into this fixture.

    Jurgen Klopp's side have won their past two league games at Old Trafford, including a 5-0 thumping last season, and are looking to make it three in a row for the first time.

    "Over the years it’s proven tough for us to win there, though last year was a great result, we can't deny it," Van Dijk said.

    "This week we showed a lot of good spirit and fight in training, and we've got to bring that to the game on Monday."

  • Browns QB Deshaun Watson given 11-game suspension and $5million fine Browns QB Deshaun Watson given 11-game suspension and $5million fine

    Deshaun Watson has received an 11-game suspension and a $5million fine after the NFL and NFLPA reached an agreement over the Cleveland Browns quarterback's punishment.

    The 26-year-old faced 24 civil lawsuits over sexual assault and misconduct allegations. He was not charged by two grand juries and settled 20 of 24 lawsuits in June, with a further three settlements reported ahead of a hearing verdict early this month.

    Watson was initially given a six-game suspension and no further fine after a disciplinary hearing conducted by former US district judge Sue L. Robinson.

    The NFL formally appealed against that ruling in order to seek further punishment, and they have now agreed an extended suspension and fine with the NFLPA.

    Watson will additionally be required to commit to an evaluation with behavioural experts while also following a mandatory treatment program.

    The ban means that Watson's first game back is scheduled to be on December 4, against his former team the Houston Texans.

    Watson denied any wrongdoing after the accusations were made. He then last week apologised to "all of the women that I have impacted."

    The Texans traded the three-time Pro Bowler to Cleveland in March, and the Browns promptly signed Watson to a five-year, $230m extension that is entirely guaranteed.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.