Two-time major winner Angel Cabrera jailed for assault

By Sports Desk July 08, 2021

Angel Cabrera has been sentenced to two years in prison after being found guilty assaulting his former girlfriend.

At a trial held in his hometown of Cordoba, Argentina, the 51-year-old stood accused of assaulting, threatening and harassing Cecilia Torres Mana.

The former US Open and Masters champion was sent to begin a two-year prison sentence immediately after being found guilty by the court.

Cabrera, who denied the charges, had been extradited from Brazil in June after being tracked down to Rio de Janeiro by Interpol agents in January.

The Argentine could face further legal trouble, with his ex-wife and another former partner having also lodged accusations of assault.

Prosecutor Laura Battistelli told TV channel Todo Noticias: "His situation is much more complex than this, he has other charges for which there are arrest warrants too. There are other victims."

Argentina's most successful golfing export, Cabrera won his first major in 2007 when he edged Tiger Woods and Jim Furyk to claim the US Open.

He followed that up with a play-off victory in the 2009 Masters, but last won a tournament in 2014 – the Greenbrier Classic.

Related items

  • Jon Rahm jokes: I'm watching Suits to better understand PGA Tour-LIV battle Jon Rahm jokes: I'm watching Suits to better understand PGA Tour-LIV battle

    Jon Rahm joked he has been brushing up on how things work in the courtroom by watching the hit TV show Suits as golf's civil war between the PGA Tour and LIV Series wages on.

    The battle between the PGA Tour and the controversial Saudi-backed LIV Series took another twist last week when three defectors went to the courts in a bid to play in the lucrative FedExCup playoffs.

    Talor Gooch, Matt Jones and Hudson Swafford had filed a restraining order to allow them to play this week's tournament, while 11 LIV Golf stars put together an antitrust lawsuit against the PGA Tour.

    However, a judge ruled ahead of the FedEx St. Jude Championship that LIV Golf players were not eligible to compete in the playoffs.

    Former world number one Rahm conceded he had only fortuitously seen the verdict but was happy with the outcome.

    "Well, I can tell you I had zero attention on it. I only found out that it was going on because I walked by a player dining and I saw about 10 really nervous people pacing all around the room," he said ahead of this weekend's BMW Championship.

    "I asked and heard what was going on. I was in the room when the judge made a decision known, but only because I was walking by and they told me it was time. So, I was like, 'I'll stay'. 

    "I think it could have made things a little bit awkward. They chose to leave the PGA Tour. They chose to go join another tour, knowing the consequences, and then try to come back and get courts and justice in the way. 

    "It wouldn't have sat extremely well with me but, at the same time, they're adults. They're free to do as they please to an extent. And that's what they chose to do if they're allowed by a judge. I'm nobody to say otherwise. Would it have been awkward? Possibly. But, I guess we'll never know."

    Rahm does not foresee this being the end of LIV players' attempts to play in PGA Tour events and offered a little insight into how he has been brushing up his knowledge on legal proceedings.

    "I am confident that the LIV side of things are still going to push strong to keep trying to change some things," he added.

    "But I also know that the lawyers and the PGA Tour side are going to keep fighting to keep things the way are going right now. 

    "It's not the last thing we're going to hear from them. But I just started watching the show Suits. So, I'm kind of learning now about how what happens in a courtroom."

    U.S. Open champion Matt Fitzpatrick also weighed in on the discussion, saying the time has come to put the focus back purely on playing golf.

    "I'll be honest, I've not been asked much about it myself personally. So, it's just been it's been fine," he said.

    "For me, it's just seeing it in the media and stuff. You just get fed up with talking about it.

    "In my personal opinion, let's just get on with it now. We just want to play golf and concentrate on what we do. That's purely my take on that."

  • Tiger Woods holding talks with fellow PGA Tour players over LIV Golf threat Tiger Woods holding talks with fellow PGA Tour players over LIV Golf threat

    Tiger Woods was expected to meet a small group of leading golfers on Tuesday amid the ongoing threat posed by LIV Golf to the long-established PGA Tour.

    Woods is not competing in the FedEx Cup Playoffs, but Stats Perform understands the 15-time major champion elected to come to Delaware to meet fellow professionals involved in the BMW Championship.

    The 46-year-old is reportedly trying to garner support among PGA Tour counterparts over the battle with the breakaway series for players' allegiances.

    Woods has made his feelings over the Saudi-backed LIV Golf clear, and reportedly turned down a high nine-figure fortune to join, but Open champion Cameron Smith looks to be the next big name to defect.

    "I disagree with it [the players' decision to join LIV Golf]," Woods said ahead of The Open. "I think that what they've done is they've turned their back on what has allowed them to get to this position."

    PGA Tour commissioner Jay Monahan was set to be available at the BMW Championship to talk informally to any players who have any questions to raise, as has been the case for several months.

    It is understood up to two dozen players have sought out Monahan for chats at certain events, but there have been no emergency talks.

    Dustin Johnson, Phil Mickelson, Brooks Koepka and Bryson DeChambeau are among the high profile players who have joined LIV Golf.

  • Open champion Smith out of BMW Championship ahead of FedEx Cup finale Open champion Smith out of BMW Championship ahead of FedEx Cup finale

    Cameron Smith has withdrawn from this week's BMW Championship, the penultimate event of the 2021-22 PGA Tour season, amid reports he is set to defect to LIV Golf.

    The Australian, who claimed his first major at The Open Championship last month at St Andrew's, has pulled out citing discomfort in his hip.

    It means Smith, currently number three in the FedEx Cup rankings, will miss out on the final event before the season-concluding Tour Championship at East Lake.

    "Unfortunately, Cam will be unable to compete in the BMW Championship this week in Wilmington," agent Bud Martin said. "He has been dealing with some on-and-off hip discomfort for several months and thought it best to rest this week in his pursuit of the FedExCup."

    The Brisbane native struggled last week at the FedEx St. Jude Championship, where he was handed a two-stroke penalty for playing from the wrong place and, having challenged for the lead at one stage, finished tied for 13th.

    Now, he will likely drop further away from the chance to dethrone Scottie Scheffler, particularly if the rumblings about a switch to the breakaway LIV Golf series prove well-founded.

© 2022 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.