Joshua wants immediate Usyk rematch after 'great lesson' in shock loss

By Sports Desk September 25, 2021

Anthony Joshua wants an immediate rematch with Oleksandr Usyk after being dethroned in their heavyweight bout, while the British star was upbeat despite the surprise defeat.

Joshua was stripped of his IBF, WBA and WBO titles by Usyk, who scored a unanimous points decision in just his third fight since stepping up to heavyweight in London on Saturday.

Usyk – a former undisputed cruiserweight champion – handed Joshua his second career loss, having previously been stopped by Andy Ruiz Jr. in June 2019 before reclaiming the belts in their rematch.

Joshua is hoping to do so again with Usyk after falling to 24-2 in front of more than 66,000 fans at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium.

"A 100 per cent, a 110 per cent," Joshua said during his post-fight news conference.

"I'm ready to get back to training. Because I did 12 rounds, my lungs, and everything... I'll be in a good place even I get back to training and pick up where we left off."

Joshua had hoped to be taking on WBC holder Tyson Fury in a lucrative showdown to decide an undisputed champion in the heavyweight division, but that plan was scuppered when his rival was ordered to face Deontay Wilder for a third time instead. 

Usyk was the back-up option picked to bridge the gap, the mandatory challenger coming with a superb pedigree but limited experience at heavyweight. 

Unbeaten as he improved to 19-0, Usyk's southpaw stance and smooth footwork troubled Joshua from the outset and a flurry of punches left his star opponent on the ropes and desperate for the bell in the final round.

"It's a great lesson today. It was a great lesson," Joshua told reporters.

"I know, we can look at it from a negative point of view, but for me, I gotta take it as a great lesson and build on that situation... I'm not a weak person. I don't want to be in my bedroom sulking about the situation.

"I'm looking at it like a great lesson, go back, study and rejuvenate myself because nobody's gonna do it for me."

Related items

  • United Boxing Promotions signs Jamaican amateur star Jerone Ennis United Boxing Promotions signs Jamaican amateur star Jerone Ennis

    Two-time Caribbean Amateur Champion Jerone Ennis, has inked a multi-year promotional contract with Toronto based United Boxing Promotions.

    The amateur boxing talent who hails from Denham Town in Kingston, has grown up in front of the eyes of the Jamaican boxing fraternity. He began boxing at age 10 at the Stanley Couch Gym under the mentorship of Kingsley Goodison. Now, after a successful stint on the amateur circuit, he has made the leap to the professional ranks, choosing to join fellow countrymen Kemahl 'The Hitman' Russell as the newest ‘United’ signing, who will train under the tutelage of Ryan Grant at Grant’s MMA and Boxing Gym in Toronto.

    “I am excited to get my pro career started,” said Ennis. “I loved my time in the amateur ranks and representing my country around the world was a huge honour, but that chapter is closed now and I cannot wait to test myself in the pros.”

    Ennis, set to compete in the light heavyweight division, is poised to make his professional debut later this year in Canada on the United Boxing Promotions platform. Promotional companies play a crucial role in advancing a boxers' career by maximizing their earning potential and creating opportunities for their success both inside and outside of the ring.

    United Boxing Promotions will provide a range of essential services to Ennis, including securing fight opportunities, pre and post-fight promotional obligations, travel and accommodations and training support.

    President of United Boxing Promotions, Tyler Buxton, expressed confidence in the 24-year old, stating, "This is another step in our efforts to build Jamaican boxing and sign the best Jamaican talent available. Jerone is an elite boxer, and joins a stable full of the best talent the country has to offer."

    With lofty ambitions in the professional ranks, Ennis aspires to channel the Jamaican fighting spirit that previous Jamaican boxers have demonstrated on the world stage. "My goal is to rise through the ranks and in God's favor, one day become the number-one light heavyweight boxer in the world," shared Ennis, who in addition to his two Caribbean Amateur Championship, boasts a resume that also includes a bronze medal at the 2017 Commonwealth Youth Games.

    Ennis is the fifth Jamaican joining United Boxing Promotion’s formidable 16-man roster that includes Ricardo 'Big 12' Brown, undefeated super welterweight Joshua 'HellRazor' Frazer, talented super middleweight Shakeel 'The Jamaican Juggernaut' Phinn and the previously mentioned  Kemahl 'The Hitman' Russell.

    “My local training will be based at H.I.I.T Box. It's the best move for me to team up with them and ‘United’. There’s a lot of class fighters on the ‘United’ team and of course, I believe I will add to that pedigree. I’ve always worked with and looked up to the ‘Hitman’ Kemahl Russell so to be able to follow his pathway is going to be amazing.”

    The addition of Ennis to the stable has raised expectations and excitement within the Jamaican boxing community, as he gears up to showcase his skills on the professional stage. United's commitment to nurturing and promoting Jamaican talent shines through this latest signing - the blend of Jamaica's storied boxing heritage, Ennis's raw talent and United’s innovation in promoting Jamaican talent away from Jamaica continues a compelling narrative in creating a pathway that has been established to move Jamaican fighters forward on the international stage.

     

     

  • On this day in 2020: Tyson Fury dismantles Deontay Wilder in Las Vegas On this day in 2020: Tyson Fury dismantles Deontay Wilder in Las Vegas

    Tyson Fury beat Deontay Wilder by seventh-round stoppage to win the WBC world heavyweight title in Las Vegas, on this day in 2020.

    Fourteen months on from his controversial draw with Wilder in their first bout – when he out-boxed the champion only for two knockdowns to deny him victory – Fury had vowed to take the fight to the American.

    He did just that, flooring his opponent twice and completely dominating the action before Wilder’s corner threw in the towel to save the bewildered champion from more punishment.

    A right hand which landed near Wilder’s left ear saw the American go down heavily in the third and a right to the head and left hook to the body in the fifth had a tired Wilder down again.

    Fury said: “Big shout-out to Deontay Wilder. He came here tonight, he manned up and really did show the heart of a champion.

    “I hit him with a clean right hand and dropped him and he got back up and battled on into round seven. He is a warrior, he will be back, he will be a champion again.

    “But I will say, the king has returned to the top.”

    The rivalry concluded with a third fight the following year when it was Fury’s turn to take punishment, getting knocked down in the fourth round, only to rise off the canvas and produce a storming comeback and retain his title.

    The Briton has since continued his unbeaten record with victories over Dillian Whyte, Derek Chisora and Francis Ngannou but recently pulled out of a fight with Oleksandr Usyk after suffering a cut in the build-up.

  • Jack Catterall confident he will knock out Josh Taylor in April rematch Jack Catterall confident he will knock out Josh Taylor in April rematch

    Jack Catterall insisted he would knock out Josh Taylor when the bitter rivals faced each other for a second time in April.

    Catterall controversially lost a split decision for the undisputed super-lightweight championship two years ago and there were many inside and outside the sport who thought he had every right to feel aggrieved.

    The British Boxing Board of Control launched an investigation into the scoring of the bout and subsequently downgraded judge Ian John-Lewis, who had scored it 114-111 in favour of Taylor.

    The Scot vacated three of his titles before losing his WBO championship to Teofimo Lopez last June in his only bout since facing Catterall, whom he will meet again in a non-title fight on April 27 at the First Direct Arena in Leeds.

    “It’s an exciting fight, it gets the juices flowing,” Catterall told a press conference in Manchester.

    “It’s been talked about for the last two years, everybody asking when this rematch is so it’s good to finally have the date locked in and I’m ready to settle it.

    “They’ve said it’s the England v Scotland narrative but it’s more of me just fighting a p***k. He’s just not a nice person.

    “I know what lies ahead of me. I’m preparing for the best version of Josh Taylor, so when I beat him – and I beat him convincingly – I can move on with my career.”

    Asked if he believed he would win the fight within the distance, Catterall added: “One hundred per cent.

    “I think he’s there to be beat, I think I’ve got his number. I know I’ve got his number and it’s only a matter of time before he touches the canvas again.”

    Taylor’s microphone did not work properly during the press conference, although his words were also drowned out by boos from fans of local favourite Catterall.

© 2023 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.