Muamba asks football to look to Wimbledon for answers

By Ricardo Chambers & Donald Oliver April 29, 2020

Delegates liaison of the Professional Footballers Association in the United Kingdom, Fabrice Muamba says lower-league teams in England initially weren't expecting the COVID19 lockdown to last for more than a month.

Muamba was speaking on the most recent edition of The Commentators Podcast with Ricardo Chambers and Donald Oliver. He also admitted he was surprised a lot of the teams didn't have a contingency plan to get through this period.

He applauded the Wimbledon Tennis Tournament which had the foresight to purchase pandemic insurance costing £1.5 million yearly after the SARS outbreak in 2003. Wimbledon is set to receive a payout of £114 million.

"I think going forward this will affect sport in many ways. If Wimbledon can visualize it and plan ahead, surely our sport can learn from this. It will also affect the football clubs in how they contact the players,"  Muamba said.

Muamba, the former Bolton Wanderers player whose career was cut short after he had a heart attack during an FA Cup quarter-final against Tottenham Hotspur in 2012, has been working for the PFA since 2014.

Related items

  • Paris Saint-Germain president Nasser Al-Khelaifi acquitted in Swiss corruption trial Paris Saint-Germain president Nasser Al-Khelaifi acquitted in Swiss corruption trial

    Paris Saint-Germain president Nasser Al-Khelaifi is glad to have "completely cleared my name" after being acquitted by a Swiss court of inciting aggravated criminal mismanagement.

    Al-Khelaifi had been charged in a case relating to beIN Media Group's allocation of television rights for the 2026 and 2030 World Cups.

    The case also involved ex-FIFA general secretary Jerome Valcke, who was found guilty of forging documents relating to separate media rights and given a 120-day suspended prison sentence.

    A statement from PSG chief Al-Khelaifi, who is also part of UEFA's executive committee, read: "Today's verdict is a total vindication.

    "After a relentless four-year campaign against me that ignored the basic facts and the law at every turn, I have finally, fully and completely cleared my name.

    "It restores my faith in the rule of law and in due process, after four years of baseless allegations, fictitious charges and constant smears of my reputation - all of which have been proven to be completely and wholly unsubstantiated."

    He added: "I can now devote all my energy to my various roles, which are all focused on building a positive future for world sport - at a time when the industry needs strong leadership the most."

     

  • Guardiola 'incredibly happy' at Manchester City and hopeful of prolonging stay amid latest Barca links Guardiola 'incredibly happy' at Manchester City and hopeful of prolonging stay amid latest Barca links

    Pep Guardiola is "incredibly happy" at Manchester City and is hopeful of prolonging his stay at the club amid fresh links with a return to Barcelona.

    Barca presidential candidate Victor Font stated this week he intends to lure Guardiola back to Camp Nou should he succeed Josep Maria Bartomeu, who stepped down along with the entire board on Tuesday ahead of a vote of no confidence.

    Guardiola won three LaLiga titles and two Champions League crowns during a trophy-laden spell in charge of the Catalan giants between 2008 and 2012.

    The 49-year-old is into his fifth season with City - more than he has managed at any previous club - but is due to be out of contract at the conclusion of the current campaign.

    Despite not yet opening talks with the club over fresh terms, however, Guardiola has insisted he is open to staying on at the Etihad Stadium beyond the end of 2020-21.

    "I'm incredibly happy here," he said at Friday's news conference when asked about Font's comments. 

    "I'm delighted to be in Manchester and hopefully I can do a good job this season to stay longer."

    City have had a largely mixed start to the campaign, most recently following up a 1-1 Premier League draw at West Ham with a 3-0 victory at Marseille in the Champions League.

    They have failed to score more than once in their past three top-flight outings but Guardiola denied suggestions his side are lacking motivation with games coming thick and fast.

    "With this amount of matches we play, if the manager has to motivate players he is over," he said ahead of Saturday's trip to Sheffield United. 

    "They come from inside the desire to play good, help the team, to feel important, to be decisive in every game. This comes from inside themselves. 

    "We suggest ideas but playing every three days I can't make a speech to motivate them. They love football to be part of the competitions."

    Kyle Walker has started every game for City this season, plus three internationals for England, and was arguably the best player on the field in the win away to Marseille.

    He gained possession more times than any other player on the field (10) and no-one made more than his 112 touches, level with team-mate Oleksandr Zinchenko.

    Guardiola feels the versatile defender, who was signed from Tottenham for an initial £45million in July 2017, is playing the best football of his career.

    "I want to thank the club for bringing him here - it was an incredible signing," Guardiola said. "Today the top players can play every three days and not get injured. 

    "Before you sign a player you have to look at his injury history and ability to play and play. Kyle is an example of that. Now this is the best Kyle we have ever seen. 

    "He's one of our captains and important in the locker room. In the last game against Marseille, he had a really good game and hopefully he will tomorrow, too."

    City head to Bramall Lane looking to win four consecutive league games against Sheffield United for the first time since March 1930.

    Guardiola revealed Sergio Aguero is still not back in training following his latest injury setback, while Gabriel Jesus and Nathan Ake "are getting better" and will be assessed on Friday.

  • Koeman cannot avoid Barcelona presidency talk as he attempts to focus players Koeman cannot avoid Barcelona presidency talk as he attempts to focus players

    Ronald Koeman vowed he would not let Barcelona's club elections distract him from the challenge of winning trophies at Camp Nou.

    The Dutchman walked into a club in crisis in August when he left the Netherlands job to return to Barcelona, with whom he had already enjoyed a highly successful six-year playing spell.

    It means the head coach can hardly raise any protest amid the turmoil that continues to encircle the Catalan giants, whose president Josep Maria Bartomeu resigned this week.

    Bartomeu's leadership was facing heavy criticism, with star man Lionel Messi so disenchanted that he attempted to leave the club during the close season.

    Now several months of electioneering are firmly under way, and Koeman will be doing well if he can keep his mind away from talk of what each candidate has in mind for the future.

    One of those who looks set to stand, Toni Freixa, has backed Koeman to continue in his post, but rival Victor Font has made no secret of his intention to appoint Xavi in a senior capacity, and also floated the idea of Pep Guardiola returning.

    Asked about Freixa's comments and his own future, Koeman said in a news conference on Friday: "I don't like to speak individually about the candidates, we'll see what can happen. My job is not to be happy or unhappy if someone wants to change things or not.

    "I am here for the club and to win things and the most important thing is to win tomorrow."

    Koeman's Barcelona travel to face Deportivo Alaves on Saturday, having won 5-0 at Mendizorrotza in their final LaLiga game of last season, by which time Real Madrid had eclipsed them to land the title.

    They were under the charge of Quique Setien for that game, which saw Lionel Messi score twice and provide an assist.

    Messi has struck 10 times in his nine LaLiga games against Alaves, as if his value to Barcelona needed any fresh emphasising.

    Barcelona have won their past seven LaLiga meetings with Alaves, keeping a clean sheet in five of those and scoring an average of 3.4 goals per game.

    They were last beaten by the Vitoria-Gasteiz side in September 2016, slipping to a 2-1 defeat that day as coach Luis Enrique began the game with Messi and Luis Suarez on the bench.

    This time Barcelona are looking to bounce back from two successive LaLiga defeats, to Getafe and Madrid, having not lost three in a row in the league since April 2016 – another low point in the Luis Enrique era.

    At least a midweek Champions League win over Juventus showed Barcelona are capable of finding focus amid the circus that surrounds them.

    The players do not appear nearly as vulnerable as Koeman to regime change, yet there will be a sense of relief when the focus can all be directed towards matters on the pitch.

    Questions about the presidency will keep coming for Koeman, who stressed on Friday: "It is not in my hands. I am a coach of this club and I work hard to move the team forward, achieve good results and win titles.

    "It is what the coach and the players have to do. I am not nervous and I am involved in my work. That's how it is.

    "From today until the elections there are candidates who will speak, who say things about their projects, and we will see who will be the president in the future."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.