Which players are you anxious to see this EPL season?

By Sports Desk August 08, 2019
Harry Maguire Harry Maguire

The English Premier League begins on Friday and the Zone team has weighed in on who they are looking forward to seeing. Who do you want to see?

Related items

  • As team climbs five places, coach wants even more from Jamaica's Reggae Boyz As team climbs five places, coach wants even more from Jamaica's Reggae Boyz

    Theodore Whitmore, head coach of Jamaica’s Reggae Boyz said that Jamaica couldn’t afford to be complacent now that the team has climbed up the latest FIFA World Rankings released on Wednesday.

  • Hudson-Odoi signs new five-year Chelsea contract Hudson-Odoi signs new five-year Chelsea contract

    Callum Hudson-Odoi has signed a new five-year contract at Chelsea, the club has confirmed.

    The England international joins fellow academy products Ruben Loftus-Cheek and Mason Mount in committing to long-term deals since Frank Lampard's appointment as head coach.

    Securing the teenager's signature is significant for Chelsea, who rejected several bids from Bundesliga champions Bayern Munich earlier this year.

    The German giants made their interest known in January, reportedly leading Hudson-Odoi to submit a transfer request, and are said to have returned with a reduced £22.5million (€25.4m) offer as the winger entered the final 12 months of his previous deal.

    Chelsea resisted Bayern's interest and have now tied the talented homegrown prospect to an agreement reportedly worth upwards of £100,000 per week.

    "It's an amazing feeling," Hudson-Odoi told Chelsea's official website. "It's been a long wait but it's done now and I'm really happy about that. I've been a Chelsea player since I was eight and this is the right club for me to be at.

    "I want to lift as many trophies as possible, win as many games as possible and contribute to as many goals as I can as well. As a team, we just want to work hard to achieve the best results we can.

    "I'm delighted everything has been agreed and now I'm just looking forward to properly getting back."

    Hudson-Odoi had to be patient before forcing his way into former boss Maurizio Sarri's starting XI in April, only for a ruptured Achilles to end his season in the same month.

    The 18-year-old earned made his return in an Under-23 game against Brighton and Hove Albion last week and is nearing a return to first-team action.

    England manager Gareth Southgate handed Hudson-Odoi his first senior international cap against Czech Republic in March.

    "I have seen Callum come through and he's a fantastic talent," Lampard said. "He is going to be central for us on the pitch and that is the opportunity in front of him now.

    "There are things as a young player that he will want to improve but he can be central to this team and for England. I want to work with him, I want to drive him forward and I want to improve him as a player.

    "Callum can show, right here at Chelsea, the club he came through the academy at, that he is going to be a world-class player because I truly believe that."

    It has been reported the Blues are also looking to tie down Fikayo Tomori and Tammy Abraham to extended new deals.

  • Valverde asked for Neymar but Barcelona cautious over more bids for PSG star Valverde asked for Neymar but Barcelona cautious over more bids for PSG star

    Barcelona chief executive Oscar Grau has confirmed Ernesto Valverde asked the club to buy Neymar, as the Spanish champions consider whether to make any future bids to Paris Saint-Germain.

    Neymar was strongly linked with a return to Camp Nou, with PSG sporting director Leonardo confirming the Brazilian was for sale having asked to leave the French capital.

    But despite Barca reportedly making a series of cash-plus-players offers to PSG, no deal could be completed before September 2's European transfer deadline.

    Neymar scored on his first Ligue 1 appearance this term after failing to get his desired move, but PSG ultras have indicated he will not be welcomed back to the fray quickly.

    Real Madrid have also long been linked with a move for Neymar, with Grau unwilling to say whether Barcelona will continue to pursue a deal for the Brazil forward.

    "Neymar was a request from the sports area and the coach and the club did everything in order to get him, albeit in a financially sustainable way," Grau said on Thursday.

    "We made many proposals to PSG. They always rejected them. I don't know if we are going to target him again next summer. Planning for next season will be done in the future.

    "We would have been delighted to have the chance to bring Neymar back, but the terms always had to be reasonable.

    "If some parameters had been accomplished, it would have been possible, but PSG were not happy about losing him."

    Barca also missed out on Matthijs de Ligt, who opted not to follow his Netherlands team-mate Frenkie de Jong from Ajax to Camp Nou.

    "We made him an offer, but he preferred to go to Juve, where Italian taxation allows him to earn a higher net salary," Grau added.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.